Control

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Control

Post by Candy Arse »

Started playing it last night, needless to say once you see this game with all ray tracing enabled...it's gonna be hard to go back to anything else.

Have read/heard about the console versions dipping down to the 10fps mark...so that's a yeah nah from me.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Control

Post by Madmya »

But is it a good game?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Looks like it. It's reviewing very well.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Madmya wrote:But is it a good game?
Who fucken cares mate, real time ray tracing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Actually so far it seems like the most Remedy game out of all of them.

A refined version of Quantum Break (controls, combat etc) meets Twin Peaks meets X-Files.

Also if you liked Psi-Ops...
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

No FMV so file size shouldn’t be massive I take it.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

23gig download vs 70gig for Quantum Break.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Quantum break also struggled on consoles.. I can only imagine how the base PS4 and bone would be struggling with this.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Cheapest price to get this on PC? Humble Bundle is out front at the moment at $75AUD.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Froggy wrote:Quantum break also struggled on consoles.. I can only imagine how the base PS4 and bone would be struggling with this.
I've been playing around with the ray tracing on vs off, and the difference is dramatic. Then you think about the framerate just tanking from there....yeah not good.

This is the sort of game that would be a nice showcase for the next round of consoles.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Yikes. Literally down to 11fps.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I'm half way through the game, they nailed the combat feel. Shooting feels great, I love the physics and melee impact. Combat feels more fluid and little faster than quantum break did. The abilities you unlock expand the combat and adds more depth, really well executed.

The story and presentation is very remedy, digging it and I keep getting this nostalgic feel every time the original Max Payne "Trench" talks, such a cool distinct voice. I love it.

The world design and gameplay reminds me a lot of dark souls, control points are bon fires, you have a central hub/firelink shrine and the game avoids holding your hand to get to your objectives, making you explore more than you normally would.

Graphics, well RTX on looks the business but it does take a performance toll, but luckily nvidia's implementation of DLSS here is exceptional, negating that performance loss and still looking very crisp. I tried medium and high RTX, I prefer medium which is just ray traced reflections, the indirect shadows with RTX causes a lot of grain, like the number of rays cast are too low, personally I find medium looks crisper and cleaner, the ray traced reflections make the most impact imo.

Performance, I'm seeing around 70-130fps through out my play through so far. It's smooth and feels snappy playing on kbam. It's kinda scary how far ahead PC is now against consoles, Insane. There is an issue with dx12 mode though where you get occasional stutters, I read today that turning on the low latency mode in the nv control fixes that so I'll try it tonight, the other option is you can run dx11 but then you lose the RTX effects.

Also this is the first game I've had to wind back my GPU overclock to stop it crashing, I was running +140 core in everything fine but with this game I need to scale it back to +100 to stop it occasionally crashing.

I guess this is the first game to work all parts of the GPU (tensor cores, RTX core, SM cores) at once, I have a feeling it's the tensor cores because the problem goes away when I disable DLSS. Never had this issue running RTX demos and Quake 2.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I had the exact same issues with those framerates on my og xbone on quantum break in any battle like that. To the point I reckon it went down to a 5fps stuttering mess. Same engine so same consoles still can't handle it. Looks like xbox one x is the best but that's an obvious guess.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat wrote:I'm half way through the game, they nailed the combat feel. Shooting feels great, I love the physics and melee impact. Combat feels more fluid and little faster than quantum break did. The abilities you unlock expand the combat and adds more depth, really well executed.

The story and presentation is very remedy, digging it and I keep getting this nostalgic feel every time the original Max Payne "Trench" talks, such a cool distinct voice. I love it.

The world design and gameplay reminds me a lot of dark souls, control points are bon fires, you have a central hub/firelink shrine and the game avoids holding your hand to get to your objectives, making you explore more than you normally would.

Graphics, well RTX on looks the business but it does take a performance toll, but luckily nvidia's implementation of DLSS here is exceptional, negating that performance loss and still looking very crisp. I tried medium and high RTX, I prefer medium which is just ray traced reflections, the indirect shadows with RTX causes a lot of grain, like the number of rays cast are too low, personally I find medium looks crisper and cleaner, the ray traced reflections make the most impact imo.

Performance, I'm seeing around 70-130fps through out my play through so far. It's smooth and feels snappy playing on kbam. It's kinda scary how far ahead PC is now against consoles, Insane. There is an issue with dx12 mode though where you get occasional stutters, I read today that turning on the low latency mode in the nv control fixes that so I'll try it tonight, the other option is you can run dx11 but then you lose the RTX effects.

Also this is the first game I've had to wind back my GPU overclock to stop it crashing, I was running +140 core in everything fine but with this game I need to scale it back to +100 to stop it occasionally crashing.

I guess this is the first game to work all parts of the GPU (tensor cores, RTX core, SM cores) at once, I have a feeling it's the tensor cores because the problem goes away when I disable DLSS. Never had this issue running RTX demos and Quake 2.
Good post. I'll have a look at ray tracing medium settings to see how it looks/runs. I went straight to max settings as I tend to do, and yes the DLSS is a massive framerate saver!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Finished it last night, the ending was awesome, really well done and the insurrection style room shifting is incredible, the sequences at the end are mind blowing.

The maze I found earlier made sense once you get an Item from the Janitor, that sequence was incredible. This would have to be up there as Remedy's best game, I'd put it on the same level as the original Max Payne.

10/10 from me, It's cool too there is a bit of an end game, you can keep doing missions and unlocking stuff, I did all of the side quests I found and there are some really good bosses in those parts, do yourself a favour and try and do them all.

FYI I ended up finishing the game in DX11 with RTX off, DX12 has these annoying pauses and stutters, DX11 runs so much better, no frame drops 100-144fps at native res and still looks really good with everything maxed. The game ramps up the chaos at the end and can get quite tough in parts, you need as many frames as possible later in the game imo.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Gees.. if it's better than Quantum Break...
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Great game, the sequence in the maze is fantastic. They fixed most of my gripes with Quantum Break, the rubbery bullets and things like that. Remedy delivering something outside the norm again and it works well, haven't bothered with post end game stuff though.

I used ray tracing on High for most of it getting about 60 - 80fps, I didn't notice too many drops when a whole heap of stuff was going on but I was only playing in 1080p.. I tell you what though those explosions and stuff with it on wowee.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I haven't played QB, nor did I finish Alan Wake, but apparently they're all set in the Max Payne universe, including Control. Don't really read up on too much lore but I'm sure there's someone here that's finished all the games and picked up on a few collectables that drop hints.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

PC owners, is Epic Store the only place to buy?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

You can buy it cheaper off the humble bundle store, that's the only 3rd party key seller I know that sells epic store games right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/control" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I picked up it on preorder when epic was doing that $10 off deal a few months back.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

So it launches on Steam as the Ultimate Edition with all expansions for $47 with Steam bells and whistles. Not bad.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Control

Started this last night I have NFI what’s going on story-wise. It’s like I’ve started a game at the halfway point or something. Performance good on 5700xt. 1440p render resolution hovers around 50-60fps at highest settings. 1080p render resolution not that much worse with all the grain and blur going on but is that much better at 80-100 fps. Native res 1440p UI helps sell the resolution downgrade. No difficulty option is odd but it seems challenging enough as is (good old Remedy). Aiming and/or hit boxes seem a bit hit and miss for me sometimes though. I let off the odd shot that’s bang on but it doesn’t register a hit.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I mostly used the weapon pierce which was the single shot sniper like charge weapon, like you said the other weapons had some random spread which was a little annoying. With pierce I would just charge and land headshots, no random deviation with that weapon.

Seeing the ultimate edition on steam got me buying the season pass on Epic which is where I originally bought it, look forward to playing the DLC and checking out the new Alan wake expansion due out soon.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Control

Started this again last night and it clicked a lot better.

Edit after seeing lestat’s post:

Yeah the spread is bothering me less now I’m playing the game more like a Remedy TPS instead of hanging back and popping off single shots. Death Stranding made me slow. :D Running in gun blazing makes the odd miss less noticeable.

New Alan Wake expansion you say? Holy shit.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

That's great news about Alan Wake. I saw 'AWE expansion' in the ultimate edition blurb but had no idea it was Alan Wake. Bring on that full sequel.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Having a ball with this. Loving the Remedy reunion with Matthew Porretta (Alan Wake) and James McCaffrey (Max Payne) playing prominent roles. The Dr Darling performance is fantastic and I'd listen to James McCaffrey recite the alphabet. His Max Payne 3 performance is one of my favourite ever.