Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Xbox Series X

Post by t0mby »

I bet the primary idea behind the design is sufficient cooling with the psu inside. Sure its large but in reality with consoles getting as powerful as they are in small confined shells, it's obviously a hinderence with the heating. Look at the Pro with its jet sounding fan when playing graphically intense games. Now we just need to see what Sony are going to unveil in the design front.

PS, I'd laugh if Microsofts design was a fake troll and they unveiled something totally different next year closer to release.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I thought it was strange when people were saying that it was huge and PC like. I thought it was pretty small from the get go. Especially since they had the controller there as reference.

Xbox Sex was what my mind went straight to as well. XSEX. Like sex but to the XS!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

t0mby wrote:I bet the primary idea behind the design is sufficient cooling with the psu inside. Sure its large but in reality with consoles getting as powerful as they are in small confined shells, it's obviously a hinderence with the heating. Look at the Pro with its jet sounding fan when playing graphically intense games. Now we just need to see what Sony are going to unveil in the design front.

PS, I'd laugh if Microsofts design was a fake troll and they unveiled something totally different next year closer to release.
The problem with VCR shallow boxes is the fan sizes, you're limited to 80mm and blower style centrifugal fans which are noisy and don't push anywhere near the air that much larger 120mm/140mm fans do.

The design is clearly optimised to use a 140mm fan, which will push a big volume of air at low noise levels. Also the taller design will allow better heatpipes/finstacks for optimal surface area.

There is a reason why PCs are designed like this and it's very clear that MS are looking at TDPs of 250w+ here to move to this style of case.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

8k hey!? I'll enjoy it on my series x at 2fps
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So apparently it's just called "Xbox" and "Series X" is... a description? a moniker? a version number?

What the hell, Microsoft?
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

makes sense.. they've gone the car maker route.. its the xbox - series x but saves having to rename it, xbox is xbox. Especially now they'll have Xbox - series x and series a? (whatever they call the cheaper one)
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Xbox Series X

Post by flipswitch »

Goes to EB “ Do you have the new Xbox in stock?

*comes home with the wrong series.

From Twitter:

New Xbox next to old Xbox X.

It’s just an estimation I believe.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

That makes it look huge.

Shame they didn't put the controller in there. It seems much taller than the width of a controller there.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

It's basically a PC, that's about the size of a PC case.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Xbox (Series X)

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's definitely going to struggle to fit in most people's cabinets.

If the PS5 is normal-sized and just as powerful ... :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Video of mock up.
Doesn’t look as big but we’re only seeing it from one angle.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

It's funny. It doesn't look as big when all the consoles are vertical.

Now let's compare it to two GameCubes taped together.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

They've just taken the same volume but reshaped it in a form factor that's far better for cooling. The VCR slab form factor was never ever intended to house 200-300w of heat/cooling.

Seeing how hot the 5700Xt and recent GPUs are, I was worried about cooling for next gen systems, so this shift is a welcomed one.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

I don't care if it's the size of a car. I'm still gonna buy it. Ecosystemwise MS have knocked it out of the park. The One X has been my lead system since it launched. PS4 is only for exclusives now and really there aren't that many (that I'm interested in anyway).
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

:up:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Image
I'd buy that
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I'm in. Was almost about to pull the trigger on an Xbox One X but will wait for this.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Rorschach wrote:I'm in. Was almost about to pull the trigger on an Xbox One X but will wait for this.
I mean... same. depending on any stupid DRM or licensing bullsit they announce, that is...
Ambrose Burnside

lestat wrote:They've just taken the same volume but reshaped it in a form factor that's far better for cooling.
Eurogamer says it's twice the volume of the One X:
Microsoft has revealed Xbox Series X and its monolithic casing has almost twice the volume of an Xbox One X
It's fucking big
I'm not expecting a huge amount of difference in the size of the mainboard or the components attached to it when stacked up against Xbox One X. What I am expecting is a very significant increase in power consumption, plus a big upgrade in the cooling solution in order to manage some pretty challenging thermals. Based on the kind of power consumption seen on AMD's latest PC GPUs based on the same technologies, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Xbox Series X pulling twice the power of the Xbox One X.
We're still almost a year away from launch, so there are still many questions to answer. Pricing is one of them. The size of the Series X processor represents a significant cost just on its own - and that's before we factor in other pricey parts such as solid-state storage, GDDR6 memory and what is likely to be an innovative (and likely costly) cooling solution. In fact, simply increasing the size of the box alone increases manufacturing and worldwide shipping costs. The conventional wisdom is that a console balances price against performance with inevitable compromises, but there's strong evidence here that Series X subverts this, with more of a push towards getting as much state-of-the-art tech into a console box as possible. Phil Spencer is on record with Eurogamer as saying that he's not going to 'sacrifice performance for the sake of price'.

Certainly, for Series X in particular, that will be true.
Next gen does sound exciting and all bets appear to be off :up:

But it all comes down to the games and Microsoft is still at a disadvantage when it comes to exclusives. Gonna be fascinating.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

But MS a massive advantage when it comes to ecosystem, family support and cross play with PC. If you're a PC gamer with young kids your next console purchase is a no-brainer.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Gamepass until Dec 2021 here, day one I just have to trade in my X towards a Series X and enjoy Halo Infinite, Forza 8 launch day. That's just incredible imo, usually on launch you're having to fork over a lot of cash for launch games.

You can reuse all your old peripherals, so again huge cost saving there not having to buy controllers etc.

The system is an easy sell for hardcore fans day one, it's an absolute no brainer.
Ambrose Burnside

Hopefully these good points translate into sales because PS4 stomped the One into the ground and the industry needs a strong Xbox too.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Hopefully these good points translate into sales because PS4 stomped the One into the ground and the industry needs a strong Xbox too.
That was MS own doing though. Next gen should be exciting though frm a tech view, a clean slate for both and I'm sure MS has learned from their mistakes. Gaming needs to evolve and it seems to be harder for niche titles to break through and the budget of AAA titles is whack.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Game Pass is a good step in the right direction and if they can keep it at the same price as now even better. Sony needs to get on that BC bandwagon. They have such a large pool of games to draw from. I'd kill to be able to play some Vita and PS3 games again (my PS3 died the other day).
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.