EB Games will close down 21 stores in Australia.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

EB Games will close down 21 stores in Australia.

Post by flipswitch »

https://tech.dsmenders.com/major-austra ... e-country/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EB Games, Australia’s largest game chain store, is closing several locations around Australia. In a statement given to Kotaku Australia, the retailer has said that 19 unprofitable stores around the country are closing; however, 20 stores have disappeared from their online store locator.

“Where possible, staff were offered the opportunity to work in surrounding stores,” the statement reads. It also notes that several more “large format” stores, combining EB Games and pop culture outlet Zing, will be opening around the country.
Bribie Island EB Games QLD 4507Brickworks Marketplace EB Games SA 5031City Cross EB Games SA 5000Cleveland EB Games QLD 4163Dandenong EB Games VIC 3175Dianella EB Games WA 6059Hallet Cove EB Games SA 5158Hamilton EB Games VIC 3300Harbourtown Adelaide EB Games SA 5950Inala EB Games QLD 4077Inverell EB Games NSW 236Kalamunda EB Games WA 6076Lutwyche EB Games QLD 4030Majura Park EB Games ACT 2609Rockdale EB Games NSW 2216Tamworth EB Games NSW 2340Underwood EB Games QLD 4119Winston Hills EB Games NSW 2153

These stores are expected to close by the end of January 2020, and will be discounting stock from 20-60%. It is unclear whether any of the 40 EB Games stores in New Zealand will be affected

This could very well mean the extinction of Lizard Man.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: EB Games will close down 21 stores in Australia.

Post by Twiztid Elf »

As far as SEQ goes, I can't even believe they even had stores at Bribie Island or Lutwyche. That's bad business. No way those could be profitable.
Oh noes! Inala EB is closing. :run: Back to painting bins for Xman.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Painting bins! Back story please.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

It is the beginning to the end for EB Games... with people starting to buy games digitally direct from Steam, and now with Xbox Game Pass, it is only a matter of time.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

There's two EB Games in Adelaide Rundle Mall. How the hell anybody ever thought that would be a profitable idea is beyond me..
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Gamestop is bleeding money in the US, the clock was ticking for our EB games too.

With subscription/digital taking over, there isn't much reason anymore to walk into these stores. My actual last purchases from an EB was a marvel legends figurine, this is an area their stores have expanded on but even that won't keep them alive since you now find that stuff for cheaper on amazon.com.au.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the day consoles are 100% digital is the day I give up console gaming, except for older consoles and backlogs.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm only surprised it hasn't happened sooner. You walk into an EB store these days and half the shit on the shelves isn't actually games. I get why you would diversify your stock offerings...except the "loot" they sell can be be bought anywhere else as well.

RIP GameHED
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

There used to be four EBs in the Perth CBD for some reason. They're down to one.

There used to be a Gametraders and a Game too, but they're long gone.

Still three JBs for some reason, all within walking distance.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Can't remember the last time I bought something from EB - they are simply too expensive. They have the odd sale but usually Target or JB are cheaper. Their second hand selection is overpriced and their trade in system is crap. I wanted to trade in a bunch of games once and knowing some games are worth more than others I wanted to get an idea of what they would offer. The guy was giving me the run around and effectively said I need to bring the discs into the store to view. I assured him they were find and was only looking a general ballpark figure. I think from memory I wanted to trade in Arkham Knight, Overwatch and Bloodborne. All super common games but he offered $5 apiece - the same games in their 2nd hand pile were going for $25 and up at the time. Walked out. JB will eventually push them out of the game. It's a pity there aren't more bricks and mortar game stores but the whole industry is unfortunately moving towards digital.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

The reason why those traded in games were $25 a piece was most likely because they were traded in at higher prices earlier, but I hear ya. I still buy from EB but only to price match elsewhere locally, otherwise I buy from ozgameshop. Last game I bought from there was RE2 and that was $60 cheaper than EBs $119.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Twiztid Elf wrote:As far as SEQ goes, I can't even believe they even had stores at Bribie Island or Lutwyche. That's bad business. No way those could be profitable.
Oh noes! Inala EB is closing. :run: Back to painting bins for Xman.
I fucking chortled at this.

I buy from EB games and ensure I price match. Never have any issues. An old flatmate is the regional manager for EB so I tend to pop in to them to see if he is in.

Plus I find the staff at my local EB to be nice people.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Candy Arse wrote:I'm only surprised it hasn't happened sooner. You walk into an EB store these days and half the shit on the shelves isn't actually games. I get why you would diversify your stock offerings...except the "loot" they sell can be be bought anywhere else as well.

RIP GameHED
Well I was in there today, I had a $40 gift card from Christmas and figured I better spend it before they go out of business. The front of the shop was decked out in headsets and peripherals, which is weird, I've never ever seen them layout the front entrance of an EB ever like that before. They don't even have PC games on the shelves anymore, the games for consoles were pretty light too. The stores are just decked out in peripherals/accessories and loot now.

Just not sure how they're going to survive in a world where 3rd party release fewer big AAA games and they're all service 100hr grind fests which mean people end up playing fewer different games. The industry is rapidly changing and I don't think selling accessories and loot is going to save them.

Anyways picked up a Logitech G pro mouse, fantastic mouse btw.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I actually think they will be OK for a long time yet but games will be one component of what they sell. A one stop shop for gaming and all things related to the hobby. It isn't like we haven't seen that happening already but I think expect even more diversification and expansion into other related Pop Culture areas.

I reckon the used game trade in market will tighten like JB but they will undercut all digital on new second hand to make a huge gross on used again.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I will also add I find it hard to believe the ones in Adelaide ever made a profit some terrible locations getting shit canned there.

The ones I have the most experience with:

The CitiX I think had a very favourable cheap lease but made no sense, tiny and 2 min from a huge one that actually had stock of things.

Brickworks was also an odd choice as no foot traffic weekdays besides retirees and only people going to woolworths or big W on weekends. Disappointed though as it was my local and I could ride my bike down on the weekend for a browse.

Harbour town.. assume cheap rent or why else would you out one in a factory outlet centre.

Docklands Melbourne. That shopping area/centre might be the biggest fail of a huge CBD development ever the place is bizarre. Why do you Melbournians hate the Docklands? Ghost town.. must have been boring as shit working there lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

t0mby wrote:I've said it before, I'll say it again, the day consoles are 100% digital is the day I give up console gaming, except for older consoles and backlogs.
I’ll swap your digital for streaming. Once streaming is the standard I’m outta here. Digital I don’t like but can tolerate it. Streaming can fuck off and die.

As for EB, it is sad news. I have pre ordered many consoles from there (PS2/3/4, Xbox 360, Wii, GameCube). Life moves on but, like video stores, we will soon see the end of physical video game retail only stores.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I can handle digital. GOG is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack in terms of consumer-friendliness but just lacks selection. Streaming will suck, however Australia will never have a network that can handle the bandwidth so not too worried about it in my lifetime.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I was a steadfast advocate of physical over digital media for games, but then one day I realised I've pretty much become an all-digital consumer without consciously making the change. I think Destiny started it, then the Switch sealed the deal. I just don't see the point any more- retail games require sizable downloads anyway, games as a collectors item aren't worth shit, I rarely have time to revisit older games, and the majority of stuff I play these days is either cheaper digital or non-existent at retail. I guess physical copies have resale value, but I've never been one to sell games.

I only really go into EB to buy eShop cards and shoot the shit. My last physical purchase was a spare Switch A/C adapter.
Twiztid Elf wrote:Oh noes! Inala EB is closing. :run: Back to painting bins for Xman.
:rollin:

Time to liquefy some of those assets, eh?
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Steam made digital games more palatable for me. The bargains couldn't be denied.

Then free games through Xbox Gold and Game Pass cemented it.

I've bought a lot of consoles from EB. They tended to have good bundle deals.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Hercy wrote:Steam made digital games more palatable for me. The bargains couldn't be denied.

Then free games through Xbox Gold and Game Pass cemented it.

I've bought a lot of consoles from EB. They tended to have good bundle deals.
Same. Bought most of mine at EB because of their bundles. I do also buy games, but always price match.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Only issue with digital is if it ever becomes the only store for a console/device then the pricing will kill consumers. Digital in the PlayStation and Xbox stores still sucks bar the occasional sale where I can go into an physical retailer and score some serious bargains come discount time. This gen I think my best bargain was the Evil Within 1 for five bucks and The Evil Within 2 for $15. A slew of other games were had cheap too as competition increased as the generation lengthened and physical stores like Target going for a best price from day 1 and aggressive stock management of titles.

I also think everyone thinks EB moving to be bigger stores with Zing and such things is a move to keep market but I think it's more where famers have gone than EN has had to go. We do now buy figurines for ours shelves, desks and other collectibles as part of the hobby/past time that we never used to. Maybe because just buying the game used to be so expensive but it is a trend that is only increasing.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

From memory I think I only purchased 2 consoles from EB, the Wii U and traded in my Povo PS4 towards the Pro. I'm not even excited for next gen yet as I have heaps to finish. I expect if I was to not buy anymore games this year that the select few I want (Cyberpunk, Last of Us 2) will get a next gen release anyways and that would work out perfectly. Backwards compatibility will play a massive part in my decision that's for sure. If the next PlayStation can play PS3 and PS4 then I'd jump in but if its PS4 only then nah, better off keeping the Pro with all my saves.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Both consoles will offer super fast SSD. So what happens with PC Multiplatform games. Will they require a fast SSD too?
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

PlayStation: Target
PS2: Sony Centre (or whatever they were called back then!), years later a Slim from Kmart (back when they still sold games!)
Xbox 360: Harvey Norman, after it red ringed, a Slim from JB HiFi
Xbox One: Big W

Wow, no consoles from EB :lol: Even my PSP was from Harvey Norman when they had by far the best launch deal :lol:

Plenty of games over the years though. Always price matched.

Speaking of which, if you're keen on clearing out some old stuff:
EB Games will stop taking trade in for some items starting Sunday, the 2nd of February. If you’ve got any of the below, and want to trade them towards next-gen consoles, you’ve got a few weeks left to do so.

The items are:

Wii and Wii U consoles
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Wii U, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Vita games and accessories
Skylanders and Disney Infinity figures
Broken PS3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation Vita consoles
I have a few things I'll probably get rid of. Mostly stuff Epic have since given me for free :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Happy to say I haven't entered a Harvey Norman store in over 2 years. That cunt has fucked things up big time buying shit overseas.

I find eb a good to to trade in a broken console for a new one.