PS5 thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

klee123

Re: PS5 thread

Post by klee123 »

Yep, confirmed my fears with Sony's direction.

Console looks ugly as shit too.

Definitely skipping both this and XSX.

PC + Switch for me
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I thought it looked good.

A lot sleeker than the Series X (not hard, I've taken dumps that are sleeker looking than that oversized power brick).
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

klee123 wrote:Yep, confirmed my fears with Sony's direction.

Console looks ugly as shit too.

Definitely skipping both this and XSX.

PC + Switch for me
Everything shown didn't look next gen to me, also throughout the whole stream I kept noticing a lot of framerate issues/drops. Performance of the system looks sketchy, especially since they were really quiet on promising 4k/60fps with everything shown, the 1080p30 stream was a deliberate choice to hide this fact more.

The final console unveil, system looks noisy with poor airflow and kinda ugly.

Easy pass for me.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

GT team needs to ditch this engine, Jesus it's still got PS2/3 level assets in it. :sick:
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 4.53.31 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Lestat, do you actually play games or just pause every frame and count pixels?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Seen bigger pictures on a bigger screen now, the disc version looks a bit off, like they forgot about a disc drive and shoved one in at the last minute. Now it looks pregnant.

I wonder how quiet it is vs Series X.
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 12 Jun 2020 09:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

PS5 thread

Post by flipswitch »

Looks noisy, poor airflow

Didn’t watch the conference, but did they demo the console, measuring its airflow, heat consumption and noise?

I will catch up on the conference.

Good thing I didn’t wake up early!

Can the console be placed on its side?
especially since they were really quiet on promising 4K/60fps
I don’t understand. They were quite on promising it, so in other words they didn’t say anything about it, unless I missed something?
Last edited by flipswitch on 12 Jun 2020 09:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I've literally seen the form factor for the first time seconds ago. Typing my initial reaction here. It's surprisingly bold. I would see the mock-ups based on the controller reveal and immediately dismiss them as too garish Sony. Seems Sony were too garish for the mock-up crew. They sure can't get any shit for carrying designs over from the previous gen this time. Will be interesting to see the inside of it, the cooling system, airflow, etc.

Can't say whether I like it yet. I reckon it would look pretty nice on my very large, white stone top entertainment unit.

The games on average, like Xbox, look great. As noted though nothing from the next console reveals is a generation ahead of what we're playing now. That's coming from a PC gamer though. If I were a Destiny 2 PS4 1080p/30fps player, the prospect of moving up to 4k 60fps (which Bungie have confirmed for D2 PS5) would be an awesome upgrade and well worth shelling out for.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

It does look a bit weird where they've put the drive. I also wonder how easy it would be to break those fins off.

Digital only version? Not unless they start selling digital games at reasonable prices (instead of waiting for sales)

How much is a Bluray drive these days anyway? Can't add that much to the cost.

Games look fairly unappealing at the moment. Some definitely a step up but nothing that's a real system seller.

No price yet? Still watching the reveal.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

t0mby wrote:Lestat, do you actually play games or just pause every frame and count pixels?
Someone else posted that on another board, I could see from the video the poor detail/pop in and last gen assets. I don't need to pause frames to notice shit graphics. As a person who spends 2k on graphics cards alone, yes I am a graphics snob and want my eye balls to feast on quality pixels.

You've known me for like ever, it's always been this way.

30fps still sucks balls in the year 2020.

PC looking like a real winner here after todays presentation. MS have nothing to worry about either, they have the power advantage.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

With the design they chose, they went for more style over something sensible like XBS1. I don’t mind it but coming from past Sony consoles they seem to prioritise design over efficiency. Must be a Japanese thing.

So a new Horizon game which is cool. And a remake of Demon Souls that offers a choice between performance and image quality. I have just seen the screens. When I have time I see it in full.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Gran Turismo hasn't impressed me graphically since the PS1. That was really impressive how they were able to push that hardware. These days it just seems run of the mill.

Honestly there were only two things I wanted to find out today. The price and what the console looked like. I don't really even care about the games yet.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Yes it can be placed on its side, btw.

Peppermint Lounge
The End

This one caught my attention. Stray. Two-person team apparently. A third person adventure game where you control a cat. My son loves cats. Looks a bit too dystopian for a 5 year old though.
It's releasing on PC too. *adds to Steam wishlist* These console reveals are good publicity for multi plat devs.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Cool. Thanks Pep.

This looks pretty darn good, can’t see how someone would say it doesn’t look next gen.

Underwater stuff looked interesting and we’re getting some proper water physics this time.

The creature models, like that crab looked CG.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Compare it Hellblade 2 and there is a big difference.

Nothing shown was on the same level as the UE5 engine reveal, that's just on another level.

Horizon 2 looks like the same engine with PC ultra presets and some improvements.

Honestly I see no reason if you have a decent PC to buy one of these machines right now, completely redundant.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I thought you didn’t like the UE5 demo?

lestat wrote:sub 1440p dynamic scaling, 30fps. No Raytracing used.

The birds and falling rocks didn't even cast shadows. :lol:

Next gen disappoints again.

Most of what looked good was just the megascans library.

https://quixel.com/megascans/collection ... one-quarry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess SSDs in next gen systems will allow developers to use these film quality assets, which was primarily what was on show here.

Still the same old fake, scripted "gameplay".

I thought with better cpus we'd have more dynamic worlds and 60fps would be a thing, we got constant excuses from devs blaming the jag cores for 30fps games.

Hellblade 2 had that nice facial mocap, but it’s hard to compare it to an open world game with lots of simulations going on, many we don’t know of yet.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The megascans and nanite stuff is true next gen tech, question is if these consoles have enough chops to run it well.

So much of what was shown today was 30fps, I expect new nvidia cards and Big navi to blow these things out of the water.

By the time 2021/22 rolls around, 5nm GPUs will be a thing and again another power bump. So yeah it will be interesting to see how these boxes hold up, right now though I see no immediate compelling reason to get one.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:The megascans and nanite stuff is true next gen tech, question is if these consoles have enough chops to run it well.

So much of what was shown today was 30fps, I expect new nvidia cards and Big navi to blow these things out of the water.

By the time 2021/22 rolls around, 5nm GPUs will be a thing and again another power bump. So yeah it will be interesting to see how these boxes hold up, right now though I see no immediate compelling reason to get one.
What was shown are not retail copies, even above where I asked if you counted pixels, you should know by now that half this shit shown is from 50-70% builds. It's not from the final versions that'll ship. Every time it's the same and sometimes things improve and sometimes it doesn't.

As for pc tech catching up within the first year, that's the norm but I bet you can't build a PC with 2013 tech and run half of what's been released in the current year as good as consoles can without dialing something down but if you want to spend $10k every 7 years on gfx cards, ram, monitors, HDDs etc then power to you. Each to their own.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It looks impressive but it also looks stupidly expensive. I really want to play Demon Souls remake, always liked it on PS3. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Console looks sexy as hell.

Will watch the official videos in 4k 60fps later tonight. Just watched the GT7 trailer in 4K...yeah that looks good. Real good.

Will buy a PS5 for sure, Xbox no thanks as I already have a godlike PC.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

The music alone has me sold for this game. Jim Guthrie is fucking awesome.

I haven't watched that much of the reveal. I like the look of the console though.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Higher quality vids look sooo much better than the pixelated messes I watched this morning.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

PS5 is quite tall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Demons souls looked nice! I wonder if it will get a pc port? Both consoles look okay but I think i'm going to stay with pc next gen.