XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: PS5 thread

Post by lestat »

RGB you need full 4:4:4 chroma, so at 4k/60hz you cant do RGB with 10bit, it has to be 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 YUV. With movies and 24hz you can use full 10bit RGB though.

HDMI 2.1 you should be able to do 4k60hz with full 4:4:4 RGB/YUV.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

My telly only has hdmi 2.0. :(
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

VRR support confirmed for PS5 in an upcoming firmware update.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/ps5-w ... firms-sony" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

lestat wrote:RGB you need full 4:4:4 chroma, so at 4k/60hz you cant do RGB with 10bit, it has to be 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 YUV. With movies and 24hz you can use full 10bit RGB though.

HDMI 2.1 you should be able to do 4k60hz with full 4:4:4 RGB/YUV.

I forgot to attach the image I took, but I did make a thread of it on Era.

From the picture above l thought all frequencies , 25hz, 30hz etc were in YUV, but it’s just the 50/60hz ones,.

And like you said you can’t get 4K60hz 4:4:4 RGB HDR with HDMI 2.0.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Good tear-down by Steve from Gamers Nexus here. Sony do seem to have prioritised acoustics over thermals. Man those PS4 Pros must be loud.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Memory temps are a concern. 95C is very close to their TJ max and he tests in a 21 degree controlled environment, in warmer climates and cramped spaces you could be killing your ram.

GDDR6 temps is a thing all GPU makers prioritse now with cooling, I find it odd Sony didn't use the main heatsinks like MS and every other GPU maker does now.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

DF indicating framerate dips for PS5 in COD Cold War with RT on appear to be a bug.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

RT is very bandwidth intensive and requires a lot of random memory reads.

Frame dips are still there, just lessened, probably reloading a checkpoint clears vram and lays out the BVH structure in a better way to lessen the bandwidth required, but playing normally, the game is constantly loading in and removing textures/BVH structures, it will then come back to being bandwidth limited on the memory controller. It's a fragmentation and bandwidth problem.

Series X has more bandwidth, so it's probably why the problem doesn't occur there. 6800 uses a 128MB Infinity cache to minimize the bandwidth bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Yeah often subsequent benchmarking passes improve on first pass figures. PS5 has those variable frequencies too. Be interesting to see the GPU frequency during these sequences.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah on PC the second passes are usually just the GPU not having to load textures because they're already cached or the shader cache has already compiled a shader. That just stops the stutters as these IO bound calls can stall the pipeline for a split second.

This looks more like fragmentation and performance getting worse as the vram gets more fragmented as you swap assets in and out, might be an issue for this gen of consoles since the VRAM didn't jump greatly and both MS/Sony are pushing for devs to be swapping assets in and out of memory constantly now thanks to the very fast IO.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Even though its only 60fps at 4k atm until sony drop the update early december playing demons souls on a 85" 9000h is a site to behold. I'm in gaming heaven.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Let me just say how brilliant and joyful it is playing Astro’s Playroom. This has to be one of the most fun and enjoyable experiences I’ve had.

I completed the GPU jungle stage. It was so engaging, the music was perfect , the nostalgia was through the roof, felt like I was playing LBP for the first time.

I love how you unlock all the different types of accessories and devices relative to PlayStation, and then being able to see them all displayed and interact with them in the hub ( or whatever it’s called)

I still haven’t finished it.

I never played any of the Astrobot games. Sony has another winner with this new series.

It’s really showcase of the DS controller. I’m glad Sony packed this in with the system.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

MiNiStRy wrote:Even though its only 60fps at 4k atm until sony drop the update early december playing demons souls on a 85" 9000h is a site to behold. I'm in gaming heaven.
I'm in the market for a new TV. Been looking at the LG 65" Oled or the Sony 9000h 77" or 85". Happy to go size over an 65" OLED at the same price. Have you tried running any game at 120fps on it yet? Heard its blurry and shit....
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

My son has cod which is 120fps but i'm yet to try it at this stage. I have heard there is issues with vrr on the 9000h but i do know sony is working on the fix. This tv imo is seriously underpriced by sony the blacks are right up there with the oled's. i watched just the first disk of lord of the rings 4k yesterday and it was stunning.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:lol:

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/mans- ... -purifier/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I was very worried with buying a launch PS5, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. Well just how quiet it is really. And today being a hot day, no noise and not even hot in the slightest when playing CP2077.

I have it set up vertically with lots of space .

Is this similar to what you guys are experiencing?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Same. Exceeded expectations so far.
Horizontal in a TV unit. A fair bit of room around it, but not as much as I'd like.
I've been playing it sometimes when it's fucking red hot and humid SEQ summer day, and it's been rock solid so far.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Good to hear Sony sorted the acoustics this time.

Chances are with the direction Sony is going with focusing on Western AAA games, I probably won't bother with it for at least the first 2-3 years. At least until a slim version ever surfaces.

Just hope the quality stays the same. Sony really screwed up with the hardware quality standards last gen.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I still wish I got a PS5 instead of a Series X even if I did say I'd get a SX first if it supported Atmos. That Demons Souls is a hellevah drug.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Check out crazy fanboy, claiming Spider-Man features the full RT works when it just has reflections. This was posted by dark1x Twitter but thought it was hilarious.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lambchop?
klee123

Post by klee123 »

So much anger over graphics from a plastic box.

People need to chill.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Looks like there was a brief window over the weekend to order a PS5 from JB, expected delivery tomorrow. A friend went in to drop the seven fiddy and was told it had to be ordered online, then by the time he got on the site orders were closed again. :roll:

I get that this is an actual supply problem this time and not Sony throttling shipments to create buzz, but the end result's the same, they're hard to find... and I just don't really care anymore.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I’m pretty happy with it so far.

4K renditions of Star Warses and Lord of the Ringses have been delightful, and the PS5 media remote is a joy to fondle.

The couple of launch titles I picked up have been good demonstrations even if they’re just PS4 titles with 4K whistles.

PS5 No Man’s Sky got a run but I got less far than last time.

Fortnite has had the most playtime and appreciation from Master 9

Keen for what’s next. And maybe that Demon game when it’s normal price.

I haven’t mentioned 4Ks so much since http://www.Rollaclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

t0mby wrote:You can request a free PS4 camera adaptor for the PS5 so you can play PS4 VR titles BUT PS5 VR titles won't be compatible with the headset apparently. I've ordered mine just in case I get a PS5 in the near future.
Codename: Classified, post: 260819817, member: 788568 wrote:
Get yours here:

Global: https://camera-adaptor.support.playstation.com/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

North America: https://global.support.playstation.com/ ... uage=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=====================================================================

UPDATE #2: PlayStation Support

[USER=490594]@Garani[/USER]

UPDATE: Site is probably getting hammered. This is not a limited supply situation - plenty to go around. If it becomes frustrating to get through just bookmark the link/thread and pick another time that's convenient for you.

============================================================

Q: What is the PlayStation Camera adaptor and what does it do?

The PlayStation Camera adaptor is used to connect the PlayStation®Camera* (sold for the PlayStation®4 console) to a PlayStation®5 console. This allows the use of PlayStation®VR when playing supported PS4™ games on a PS5™ console, including games that require PlayStation®Move or PlayStation®VR aim controllers.

*Model CUH-ZEY1 or CUH-ZEY2

Please note: The new HD camera for PS5 is not compatible with PS VR. You will need to use the PS Camera (for PS4) with a PlayStation Camera adaptor (no purchase required) to use PS VR on PS5.

Q: Who qualifies for the PlayStation Camera adaptor?

Anyone who owns a PS VR headset qualifies to receive a PlayStation Camera adaptor with a limit of one per household.

Q: How can I get a PlayStation Camera adaptor?

Please visit playstation.com/camera-adaptor and complete the form to request your free adaptor.

Mine arrived today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.