Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: PS5 thread

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I'm a fan of the design. I like my consoles to look like cool things in their own right, not boring black boxes. I mean, I'm not likely to buy one, but I appreciate that design.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I like it too. I also think it looks a lot better horizontal than vertical. Which makes sense I guess, most people will have it that way in their TV cabinets. Last console I stood vertical was my OG model PS2 when I was in high school and it stood next to my TV on top of my chest of drawers in my bedroom.

The all-digital version is an interesting idea. Will allow them to go cheaper than Series X, even though dumbcunts that go that way will get absolutely reamed on software costs at $99.95 a pop. But it's nice marketing.

Having said that I also look forward to next gen streaming/subscription wars. Microsoft well ahead on that front so far.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Get ready for that second job, KenK's legacy is back!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

That's gotta be a placeholder price. Look what it converts to in NZ dollarydoos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The more I see it, the more I like it (the design, not the price)
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
klee123

Post by klee123 »

After a day of of my initial thoughts.

The only game I want on the PS5 is Demon's Souls. It needs much more Japanese developed exclusives to convince me.

Still don't like the look of the console either.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

t0mby wrote:That's gotta be a placeholder price. Look what it converts to in NZ dollarydoos.

Yeah, must be place holder price because I’m certain Sony has given out the price yet. But, I expect it to be expensive!
Peppermint Lounge wrote:This one caught my attention. Stray. Two-person team apparently. A third person adventure game where you control a cat. My son loves cats. Looks a bit too dystopian for a 5 year old though.
It's releasing on PC too. *adds to Steam wishlist* These console reveals are good publicity for multi plat devs.
This one caught my eye too, also a cat lover and owner! 2 person team you say which is impressive.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I like the look of the controller but not the console itself. And based on that alone I don't know why you would consider buying one over a SeX Box.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I do. I have a PC.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Chicks don't dig PCs.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I see the Series X has a slot similar to an SD slot at the rear for buying an extra MS branded SSD. I wonder if the PS5 has this as well. I guess we won't know till closer to release if either console will support a third party SSD via usb 3.0.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I think they said PS5 had the ability to expand with an additional NVMe HDD.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/03/18/ps5-ex ... sb-m2-ssd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though apparently not all NVMe drives are equal.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's easily going to be the most painful part of this gen.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Seen a few mockups that show that the PS5 is quite a big bigger than the Series X (based on size of disc drive and USB ports), even though it looks a lot sleeker:

Having not had one, I didn't realise the launch PS3 was so big either.

PC Tower gen confirmed.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I saw a video last night explaining that next gens games might only take up similar space on the SSD as this current gens games due to the way this gens worked. Apparently quite a few of the bigger games like Uncharted, TLOU2, Spiderman etc had double the data needed for loading areas on the fly as you were constantly moving and changing direction. Something to do with making a smoother experience due to slower access speeds limited by the HDD.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Keen for both next gen consoles but not $1000 plus keen. Thinking a new GPU upgrade is the way to go :/
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Spiderman had a prebaked lighting world and most of those other games are linear/prebaked.

Many games this gen moved to more dynamic lighting and open world structures, so the packing techniques where thrown a bit to wayside because the worlds were to dynamic to actually do it effectively. The less you prebake, the less texture layers you need.

The power of SSD is not so much the peak bandwidth, but the lighting fast random access times. You don't need to wait for a spindle revolution and drive head alignment to read a piece of data, that alone on HDDs was 15-30ms, this is why packing is beneficial on HDD/Disc Drives, all those technologies that involve a head and storing something on a revolving disc.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

I looked at the cost of a new graphics card last night. Not cheap. People are even still selling 2nd hand 1080s for the price of a new 2060 super. Which google tells me is about on par or better.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I fully expect the 3080 series to be around the $1500 mark and the 3080Ti version up around $2300-2500. Not cheap to be sure. Debating whether to sell my current 1080Ti to fun that particular expedition or not.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Do you think if this was revealed at E3 that we'd have been told a price? Can't help but think both MS and Sony are waiting for each other to announce their price first.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

I like that they're not afraid to do something stylish, but the curve at the top just makes it look like a router :down:
klee123

Post by klee123 »

t0mby wrote:Do you think if this was revealed at E3 that we'd have been told a price? Can't help but think both MS and Sony are waiting for each other to announce their price first.
I do think MS is reluctant on revealing their price after what happened last gen.

Both will wait for as long as possible.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

They should release a list of compatible games at launch.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

4000 games? Is that like all games but across all regions? Didn't think there was that many on PS4.