Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Hello Neighbor [sic]

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Has anyone subjected themselves to this game? My kid loves it. He loves it because he watches streamers play it. Popular streamers have embraced this game.

Hello Neighbor is a stealth action platformer played from a first person perspective. It has an appealing enough look to it, the sound is pretty good but the rest is a mess. The platforming is abominable. The game requires you to pick up and put down objects in order to proceed and it's fucking terrible. You could spend minutes fighting this turd in order to stack a couple of boxes. But my kid loves it. He'll tool around for ages and to his credit, despite the game being terrible, he gets it done. The test for me as a parent is when he asks for my help and I have to control this piece of broken shit while biting my tongue. I've not always been successful. After I've tried to place something where I want it for the 12th time the frustration overcomes me and I'll start articulating why the game is horrible only to make eye contact with the little dude who's looking up at me wondering why I'm ragging on his masterpiece. I mentally reset, reassure him challenging games bring a greater sense of satisfaction and we proceed to bang out heads against the brick wall until we eventually fluke or glitch our way through.

We even play Hello Neighbor mods (thanks to the aforementioned streamers bringing them to my boy's attention). No easy task. It requires an Unreal Engine 4 installation, Hello Neigbor mod kit installation followed by the actual mod which is run as a separate process. 40-odd gig of software. My PC is a fucking Hello Neighbor workstation.

All the hours of work however has enabled me to see its better qualities. I just picked up the subsequent Hello Neighbor Hide and Seek for $10 c/- the Epic sale. The boy will be pleased. Hide and Seek is a prequel that leads up to the events of the first game and I'm actually interested to see it.

If you haven't played this game, I envy you.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Re: Hello Neighbor [sic]

Hello Neighbor Hide & Seek is pretty good. They've made a better game that does more of what worked and less of what didn't in the first. The music and cut-scene production is nice. You can toggle hints and also make the little brother chasing you less fast and aggressive which is perfect for an exploring 5 year old. It's $10 on the EGS. Recommended.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

My little man showed some interest in it a few months ago, but he was also interested in Minecraft and because I have it on X360 and X1 he went that way.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I had the same experience except my kid demanded I play through it, "too scary". The game is an absolute pile of crud, I HATE it. These streamers are dicks and the game can go suck a fuck.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Lol. There'd be a few dads who wouldn't mind a word with the kiddy streamers. I'm looking at you, FGTeeV.