XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Next Gen Game prices to Increase.

Post by lestat »

I got an email from Amazon today, NBA2k21 for PS5. RRP $109 Amazon Price $89.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B08C9TXJT8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compared to the PS4 version, RRP $99 Amazon Price $69

https://www.amazon.com.au/2K-GAMES-NBA- ... 08CB1214K/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So the price increase is real.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

same thing happens each gen, they try and gouge on all next gen games.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Yup, start of each gen games are a little more because there's a smaller userbase but they come down $10-20.

I just traded in some old cheap games, NFS Rivals, Wonderboy, Dragons Dogma, Wreckfest and something else, got $75 in store credit. Can't do that with digital.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I think 2k games is testing the waters here.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

https://charlieintel.com/black-ops-cold ... her/62159/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Activision has confirmed that the Standard Edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War on next-gen will be priced higher than the current-generation standard editions.

For almost 15 years now, standard editions of games have been $59.99 for players, with almost all companies offering higher and premium editions for different prices.

Activision has now confirmed they will be increasing the price of the Standard Edition of next-generation games for their franchise starting with call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. The “Standard Edition” for Next-gen will include a copy for current-gen users who want to play on that version too.

Standard PS5 or Xbox Series X Edition ($69.99 USD MSRP): Includes the Xbox Series X or PS5 version of the game.

For fans interested in buying Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War digitally, you can get the Cross-Gen bundle which includes both the current-gen and next-gen version of the game.

Learn more about the different editions of Black Ops Cold War here.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Welp, starting next gen I'm getting back into my backlog since 16 bit era

Guess I'll wait until mid gen before I jump in. Prices will become a lot more reasonable.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I had a look on the xbox store and battle.net.

PC and regular xbox version are $99, the cross gen version is $109.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I remember paying $150 for Mortal Kombat in the early 90s.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

$180 for Super Street Fighter 2, $200 for Virus Racing... Definitely do not miss those prices, but they might be why I have fonder memories of those old games; because I couldn't afford as many!
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Street Fighter 2 Megadrive was $240 here, 3DO games were $100-140 here and N64 games ranged $120 to $160 (Perfect Dark, Conker and Donkey Kong 64 were the most expensive). We've had it lucky these last 20yrs given inflation.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

No it's just the Australian market isn't considered niche anymore and game companies setup shop here. Prior to that you had another 3rd party distributor who would put their own cut on top of the US price.

Also back then game pricing wasn't just software, you were buying hardware with the roms and some games used larger rom sizes which cost more to manufacture. This was why neogeo games were so expensive, they had roms up to 500mbits in size, your largest consumer roms at the time were 32-40mbit. It wasn't until cd-roms became more widespread that game prices started coming down.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

And this is why the digital only future is bullshit. We pay more to get less, ffs.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

You'd think with digital distribution the idea would be to take advantage of no manufacturing costs and sell as many copies as possible with the best way to do that being cheaper prices to drive higher sales.

Though they're getting a 30% hit with every sale so no wonder they're jacking up prices but then retail has a mark up too.

This argument is circular.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Mavy wrote:You'd think with digital distribution the idea would be to take advantage of no manufacturing costs and sell as many copies as possible with the best way to do that being cheaper prices to drive higher sales.

Though they're getting a 30% hit with every sale so no wonder they're jacking up prices but then retail has a mark up too.

This argument is circular.
Isn't the 30% cut just the platform license fee anyway? Or is that on top of whatever royalties are taken by the console manufacturer?
This whole Epic vs The World thing has scrambled my brain.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

unfnknblvbl wrote:And this is why the digital only future is bullshit. We pay more to get less, ffs.
I'll never stop saying it, digital is a fucken shit deal. You're paying for an imaginary product you can't hold, sell, trade or swap. You can pay an additional $30 for an Ultimate Gold Limited Edition that will include a digital book (lol), some cosmetic gear and a little emblem next you your name (avatar) so others know you're an idiot that buys digital bonuses.

Or you can spend the same price on a physical copy from the shop and sell it for 50% of the money back if you compete it early. Obviously this doesn't affect PC as you have zero choice, but we're not talking about PC software prices.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ya see, I don't think you should get 50% of your money back for completing it early.

I'm all for a digital future. I wish you physical-only people would stop choking our dolphins with your plastic. I will say though, they should still sell games in storefronts via serial keys included in boxes, like PC games (in cardboard boxes of course, dolphins etc).

Besides, collecting games has become redundant post the 32-bit era.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote:And this is why the digital only future is bullshit. We pay more to get less, ffs.
This is why I like gamepass, I prefer rentals in the digital future because ownership is shit now and means nothing from a collector point of view.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Disagree on digital ownership. I'm invested in games on digital shelves in a similar way to physical copies back in the day. I haven't bought a boxed game since 2009 though so I'm pretty acclimatised.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Madmya wrote:Ya see, I don't think you should get 50% of your money back for completing it early.
To be fair I've never traded back a game early, I usually just do a bulk trade in deal later on and even then it's only third party games. I keep most of my platform exclusives even if I don't play the console anymore. You never know, one of the kids may be interested at a later date.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote:Ya see, I don't think you should get 50% of your money back for completing it early.

I'm all for a digital future. I wish you physical-only people would stop choking our dolphins with your plastic. I will say though, they should still sell games in storefronts via serial keys included in boxes, like PC games (in cardboard boxes of course, dolphins etc).

If I'm paying for a game, I want to own it, not have some ephemeral license to play the game at the publisher's whim. There's plenty of games that have disappeared forever (from a legal standing) because of digital only distribution.

Have you any idea how much I want to play Outrun on Xbox 360 again?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yup, licensing is a massive issue. MS said they're prepared to make every game on 360 backwards compatible and the only ones that won't appear are because the license has expired.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

unfnknblvbl wrote:If I'm paying for a game, I want to own it, not have some ephemeral license to play the game at the publisher's whim. There's plenty of games that have disappeared forever (from a legal standing) because of digital only distribution.

This. Games like Jet Set Radio Future will forever remain unplayable on digital because of lapsed licenses. I still have my Xbox 360 from Japan with digital copies of Outrun and Marvel vs Capcom 2 still installed. If anything ever happens to the HDD they are gone forever unless one tries messing with the emu scene.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

lestat wrote:
This guys a market analyst?
I flunked out of Economics, and even I know the price is set by the market, not Activision.
They have the right to charge whatever they like for their product, then the market will decide.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Twiztid Elf wrote:I flunked out of Economics
...we can tell.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

unfnknblvbl wrote:

If I'm paying for a game, I want to own it, not have some ephemeral license to play the game at the publisher's whim. There's plenty of games that have disappeared forever (from a legal standing) because of digital only distribution.

You scared me here, what happened to Outrun? I checked and I can still play it...