Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Far Cry 6

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I love Far Cry. Got this for Christmas and it's comfort food gaming for me.

Don't like how fiddly crafting etc is. Have never liked that mechanic in any game and it took me way too long to work out that throwables are linked to your Resolver weapon for some reason.

Until I worked that out I was stuck with molotov cocktails and was relying on tricking the AI to lob grenades onto their own AA guns :lol:

But now I have grenades.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Picked up Far Cry 6 for PC. Have never played a Far Cry game and wasn't sure whether this would be a good one to jump in on. I'm having so much fun with it so far. Can't believe I've never given these games a go. 20hrs into it so far. Looks unreal running on Ultra at 4k on my 3070 (using FSR to get there). Hasn't skipped a beat.

Keep having issues with my xbox controller disconnecting randomly and can't work out why. It's not just in FC6. Can cause a panic when it stops working in the middle of a fight.

Might have to try one of the older games after this.
Ambrose Burnside

Played through the Danny Trejo taco mission, and the Stranger Things mission. Weird crossover.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Glad you guys are enjoying it. It's my least favourite in the series. Just did not click with me at all. Then again New Dawn which features down most people's lists is among my favourite so it's heavily subjective. That Danny Trejo mission was terrible IMO. So was the Rambo crossover mission. The season pass rogue-lites featuring previous FC villians are good (haven't tried the Joseph Seed one yet).
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Mavy wrote: 25 Mar 2022 08:51 pm Keep having issues with my xbox controller disconnecting randomly and can't work out why. It's not just in FC6. Can cause a panic when it stops working in the middle of a fight.
I get that occasionally playing Hitman and a few other titles. Sometimes I think it's from alt-tabbing out but sometimes it just happens for no reason. Very frustrating as you say.
Might have to try one of the older games after this.
Far Cry 2 is brilliant but completely like any of the other games. Not everyone will enjoy it. Far Cry 3 is probably the best entry point.
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

Finished it tonight. Really enjoyed it. I liberated a small (fictional) island nation from an evil dictator and I feel like I've now actually achieved something this year!

I looked at a story preview of FC5. Not sure cults are that interesting after this. I'm probably not gonna like previous entries after starting with 6 in the same way those that have played them from the start don't like this one.

PC Gaming is weird. If it's not the controller disconnecting randomly, it's the game crashing after a new patch, or the game freezing intermittently because that new News and Interests Feed in windows decided to chew up all 32Gbs of memory (turned that shit off). MS need a paired back game focused console like version of Windows that you can switch over to (like what steamOS does). Has to be the next step on the path they're taking surely?
Ambrose Burnside

I have the original (played until the stupid alien mutant things show up, then gave up. Doesn't seem to work in Windows 10), 2 (malaria shit is annoying), 3 (can't remember why I stopped playing, I'll get back into it), 5 (my favourite so far) and 6 (the one I'm playing through now, and I'm really enjoying it).

So from the main series the only one I haven't played is 4, but 5 is the only one I've actually finished.

Also have New Dawn and Primal, neither of which I've actually played (and I picked up Primal for $5 on clearance).
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Try New Dawn. It's literally a Far Cry 5 sequel and it's great.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

FC3 has the best antagonist of the series by far, but each subsequent game has made incremental improvements to the gameplay, making it difficult to go back for long.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Mavy

Post by Mavy »

I bought FC5 and thought that would be the closest experience to 6. It's not. Just finished the first area and killed one of the Seeds and it's been a slog.

Everything just feels clunky. The menus, the perks, the mission progression. Just constantly dying and reloading. Weapon reloading is slow, ammo seems to be really scarce. Can only carry up to 4 weapons and then can only swap at a shop (?).

FC6 really involves you in the story and the missions which is what really got me into it. FC5 you feel like some random guy who occasionally comes across someone who has something to do with the story then you move on. The only thing that really progresses the story so far is getting randomly kidnapped.

The one thing that FC5 really does better than 6 is the driving. In FC6 it just felt off like you were sitting on the outside of a giant car. I mostly fast traveled and air dropped everywhere with the wing suit. So not sure what happened between 5 & 6 there.

I'll keep going. It has bits and pieces of fun here and there and hopefully will get less frustrating as I level up on the perks.
Ambrose Burnside

I don't remember having ammo issues with Far Cry 5. Maybe it's because I went from 5 to 6 rather than the other way around, but I really enjoyed 5. Except for the boss battles.

Feel like 6 is clunkier with its larger emphasis on crafting and picking up junk until you have enough junk to upgrade shit. I fucking hate crafting. And linking throwables to the supremo is just dumb. But I still love 6. Finished one area (with the Monteros), onto the second.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Just finished The Vanishing and it was great. It's the Stranger Days crossover and is the final free crossover mission to be released. It's pretty much a horror experience that looks great and presents well. By far the best of the three missions released. It's short and can be knocked over in less than an evening session.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I was reluctant to install the HD texture pack as it pretty much doubles the PC install size. From 70-odd gb to 130gb. I can see a substantial difference though. Have been soaking in the sights while knocking off remaining treasure hunts and outposts.

Also noticed some quality of life upgrades, in particular loadouts. You can now configure four full loadouts which is a great addition. So much easier to now switch and play with other gear where previously I wouldn't bother. You can also reset outposts and doing so repopulates them with tougher enemies. Finally I looked up any other QoL updates and they've added a very welcome harder Guerrilla diffculty.