Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Xbox Games Showcase

Post by Twiztid Elf »

It feels kind of sad to me.
As a lapsed Xbox fanboy, just quietly in the back of my mind, I always hoped that XB1 was just a big mis-step and they'd be back.
But now I know, I am no longer their target customer. And the only reason I say this is because everything is on PC.
I have no reason to buy their plastic box.

This was a good show though. They showed lots of interesting looking games. And everything looked really pretty - so kudos to them for that.
Things that looked interesting to me, that I'll keep an eye on and maybe pickup on PC:

- Halo Infinite
- Forza Motorsport
- Grounded (just for the big spiders).
- Avowed (new Obsidian RPG - looked really good).
- Psychonauts 2 (Lol'd at all the Illuminati references).
- The Gunk
- The Medium
- PSO2 New Genesis
- Fable (but they showed nothing....).
RIGHTEOUS FURY
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Xbox Games Showcase

Post by lestat »

Watched it last night and I have to say, I'm disappointed and for the first time ever I'll be sitting out of a next gen console launch.

Halo Infinity was the most disappointing to me, it looked terrible. Nothing like the video they showed 2 years ago, flat lighting, pop in and just no wow factor at all. You see games like Doom Eternal/Shadow Warrior, really lift their action to the next level, this just looked like regular halo we've played a million times before now with a grappling hook.

There were some other interesting games showed off but everything looked far off, like we won't see any of this till end of 2021 at least, since you can play everything on PC I don't see the point in buying any of these consoles. By the time they actually release these games I'll be rocking a nvidia 5080Ti.

AMD hardware shitting the bed again, the lack of ray tracing impact is a concern, clearly this first gen AMD hardware just isn't up to task.

They're still scared shitless to tell us how much all this will really cost, I'm starting to think the $599US price tag might make a return. I was expecting a megaton of the xblive gold paywall going down, that didn't happen.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Wow. I wander out into the internet, and jeez, people really pulling this thing apart.

Particularly this brute from the Halo Infinite showing is getting crazy meme'd.

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Fucking Microsoft.

If Sony continue to bring their exclusives to PC, what even is the point of consoles anymore?

Not even sure price is a solid argument anymore, the amount of free games etc I've picked up, plus the fact that PC games are cheaper than their console equivalents anyway, and PCs are a shitload more versatile anyway, would imo more than make up hardware cost differences across a console generation. You don't have to buy a new graphics card every week like lestat either, my PC is 5 years old and while I play 1080p, it's more than good enough for any game I throw at it.

Will almost-certainly use console money on a new graphics card at some point and shit all over the consoles again.

Fuck that show was disappointing. Halo needed to shit on everything and ... Yeah.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

So no price announcement for the Series X? Grrrrrr.
lestat wrote:Halo Infinity was the most disappointing to me, it looked terrible. Nothing like the video they showed 2 years ago, flat lighting, pop in and just no wow factor at all
So you're saying it was downgraded? My how the tables have turned. It's not the first time Halo has been downgraded after its initial showing. How can they constantly get away with this? :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

From this.
To this.
WTF happened?!!!!

The folliage/materials/lighting are completely different. What a fucking sham!

And no t0mby they're not getting away with it, quite a few people are upset and dismayed at what was shown.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I think one's gonna roller coaster. The Halo Infinite first trailer looks nothing like the next one with gameplay, which happens to actually be an actual build as there's shit popping in and out all over the place so maybe with the final version we'll get an upgrade on the current downgrade. It'd have been far worse if they faked this and then dropped it at retail Sony style being nothing like the trailers.

Maybe you guys are just old and Jaded? Seemed like a pretty good line up to me and I have no interest in Halo but it looks alright from a alpha build but I'll hold judgement on that til release. State of Decay 2 was a piece of shit so I can't see why people are hyped for that, going by their track record they'll deliver a shit game full of bugs running horribly and showing a cinematic trailer lends no reason to believe otherwise.

Grounded looks cool to casual bash, I like the setting. I'm assuming someone was watching Honey I shrunk the kids and had an epiphany. Crossfire looks cool and The Medium looks good. A few games in there I need to see more of as not sure wtf they are.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infin ... industries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This does not mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game, a la Destiny. But it does mean that new story experiences will be told underneath Infinite’s umbrella, and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while. 343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free raytracing update sometime after launch.
The game isn't technically finished, they're going to be adding stuff to the engine over time. It's basically an Early Access title. WOW!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

So all these games, like Halo, Forza, Fable and others are available for free with game pass subscription?

Do we know what the launch lineup is?

Lestat, Halo : Infinite game is cross-gen. Looks like Halo, plays like Halo. It’s being held back by the Bone. So it’s an enhanced version and that’s what it looks like. Disappointing but I don’t think it looks as bad as what people are posting .

Fable was CG?

Haven’t watched everything yet, but Remedy’s game looked really nice. How do these guys work so quick. I wonder if it’s an exclusive or Multiplatform.

Besides Halo, did we get any gameplay footage because I’ve only seen trailers.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat wrote:Watched it last night and I have to say, I'm disappointed and for the first time ever I'll be sitting out of a next gen console launch.

Halo Infinity was the most disappointing to me, it looked terrible. Nothing like the video they showed 2 years ago, flat lighting, pop in and just no wow factor at all. You see games like Doom Eternal/Shadow Warrior, really lift their action to the next level, this just looked like regular halo we've played a million times before now with a grappling hook.

There were some other interesting games showed off but everything looked far off, like we won't see any of this till end of 2021 at least, since you can play everything on PC I don't see the point in buying any of these consoles. By the time they actually release these games I'll be rocking a nvidia 5080Ti.

AMD hardware shitting the bed again, the lack of ray tracing impact is a concern, clearly this first gen AMD hardware just isn't up to task.

They're still scared shitless to tell us how much all this will really cost, I'm starting to think the $599US price tag might make a return. I was expecting a megaton of the xblive gold paywall going down, that didn't happen.
Sooooo....back to PC? :lol:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

lestat wrote:https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infin ... industries
This does not mean that Halo Infinite is a live service game, a la Destiny. But it does mean that new story experiences will be told underneath Infinite’s umbrella, and it also means Infinite will be evolved technologically for quite a while. 343 confirmed that Infinite will get a free raytracing update sometime after launch.
The game isn't technically finished, they're going to be adding stuff to the engine over time. It's basically an Early Access title. WOW!
Pretty clear that the next gen features aren't going to be ready before release, ala the DLSS 2.0 clone that MS is working on. Makes me wonder if that is beacuse they've moved the launch forward and the big install base is still the xone so they'll sell millions of copies of Halo anyway.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Candy Arse wrote: Sooooo....back to PC? :lol:
I was never leaving PC, but there is no reason to augment a next gen console into your gaming environment in 2020.

Completely redundant imo, looks like a lot of software just isn't ready for it and Corona has probably ruined many plans/schedules.

My plan right now is migrate the 2080Ti I have into the living room HTPC which sports a GTX1080 currently, upgrade the Desktop to a 3080Ti and pick up some nvme SSD drives where needed. Should cover me fine for years to come. :up:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

HALO Infinite to be a 10 year game.. jesus. Not sure how I feel about story driven games like Halo going this way.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

lestat wrote:
My plan right now is migrate the 2080Ti I have into the living room HTPC which sports a GTX1080 currently, upgrade the Desktop to a 3080Ti and pick up some nvme SSD drives where needed. Should cover me fine for years to come. :up:
By the time you've done all that you've probably could have bought ~6 xbox series x's and a series s for the wife.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Xbox Games Showcase

Post by flipswitch »

Froggy wrote:HALO Infinite to be a 10 year game.. jesus. Not sure how I feel about story driven games like Halo going this way.

10 years of updates. Game will be a terabyte at the end.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Halo Infinite footage looks like it's running on an XBONE only at a higher res. Nothing next-gen about it at all.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Oh dear
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Froggy wrote:
lestat wrote:
By the time you've done all that you've probably could have bought ~6 xbox series x's and a series s for the wife.
We need a price first, the fact no one is talking price so close to launch says to me there will be some sticker shock.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, I'm not so sure on the price thing lestat.
I reckon there is a serious standoff going on between Sony and MS on release dates and prices. Who's going to blink first?
For me it doesn't matter, I'll be getting a PS5 and saving money by not getting a XSX. But for the unwashed Cod/Fifa/Madden/Fortnite crowd it will.

I'd love to see MS announce their release date, then Sony subsequently announce the same date in response. :lol:
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Waited until I saw the Halo Infinite gameplay demo on a decent display and I'm glad I did. Looks a lot nicer than on the 1080p job at work. The major shortcomings remain though. So flat and devoid of ambient occlusion and volumetric lighting effects that are a given in modern games. The Warthog sounds like a Suzuki Jimny. :lol: The background scene geometry is bizarrely primitive. The floating ship the camera panned with at around 2:35 is animated like something you'd see from the original Deus Ex or Halo CE 20 years ago. Terrible looking foregound trees that sit there static, no weather, no wind. Ridiculous foilage pop-in. XBox One must be the reason. XSX should have no drama running this shit at 4k/60.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Remember in The Lord of the Rings when Bilbo Baggins says: "I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread." That's Halo Infinite, a game that must look okay on an OG Xbox One (ugh), PCs up and down the specifications list, an ultra powerful Xbox Series X, and when streamed on a phone. No matter how much I want it to be, Halo Infinite is not about selling Xbox Series X. It's about selling Xbox Game Pass. And its art style is just fine for that.

But it's not fine for me.
We should talk about how Halo Infinite looks
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

So the Halo demo shown was running on PC. There is talk PVP won't be ready for launch, the game straight up is unfinished.

I'm still legit shocked Forza isn't there for launch, this is a studio that consistently brought out games every 2 years and made the last 2 hardware launches, they also skipped a year to be ready for Series X launch apparently. I hear this years COD is in trouble and Valhalla looks very rough.

I think Corona has taken it's toll here and developers cannot crunch and collaborate like they used to.

Having slept on things, there are some exciting things coming, but it all seems too far away right now, It feels like next gen won't start until UE5 is ready end of 2021/2022.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

DF annoyed at the lack of real details/gameplay shown. I have to agree, this is terribly frustrating how little we know about these next gen consoles.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

It’s (Infinite) been in development for more than 4 years prior to Corona though. No idea why they wouldn’t have run this on XSX. A ray tracing patch after release? Just delay it and finish it.