Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Which Acer Nitro Laptop?

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Hey Guys,

I wouldn't mind another opinion on this, I am choosing between these 2 Acer Nitro Laptops for my teenage son... he plays mainly CSGO, DoTA2, Starcraft 2, COD and Fortnite (i.e. mid level graphics intensive games) at 1080P.

I know there are better deals out there, but I am intending to buy it from Hardly Norman because of their 60 months deal, as at the moment I simply don't have the cash flow to pay it all up front, and these 2 are the only ones available from them that seems to be about the mark.

The reason I am asking is that I am a bit perplexed that Acer pairs the i5 with an RTX2060, where as the i7 with an GTX1650Ti. I would have thought that the i7 should be paired with at least an GTX1660TI.

Anyway, I am leaning slightly towards the more expensive one with the RTX2060, but kind of thrown off that it only has an i5 processor?!?

(p.s. I know there is also the ASUS TUF one for around the same price... but I am not going anywhere near it with the thermal issues).

Acer Nitro – 10th Gen i7 with GTX1650Ti = $1498
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-ni ... aptop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Acer Nitro – 10th Gen i5 with RTX2060 = $1599
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-ni ... aptop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by K.T.Shoe[BMs] on 17 Aug 2020 06:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Which Acer Nitro Laptop?

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I'd go for the RTX device if I had to choose between the two. Pretty sure it's a RTX 2060 laptop GPU too. Haven't heard of RTX 2660. i5 to i7 performance is negligible in gaming whereas RTX will provide access to DLSS.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

DLSS has proven itself to be black magic, so yeah if you want more life/performance out of it, definitely go for the RTX just to get DLSS support.

I recently got a 2060 super card for the kids desktop, it smashes everything at 1080p ultra, they're even been able to run the Minecraft RTX beta at around 60-70fps, which I found very impressive.

The mobile version is not as powerful but it will still do any game justice at 1080p 60fps I reckon.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Ooops... thank you for letting me know the typo... it is RTX2060 (and not RTX2660 :lol: ).

My thought is that the RTX2060 should be heaps faster than the GTX1650Ti for gams. But, I was just thinking that the i7 is a Hex Core, where as the i5 is a Quad Core... so just curious how that balances out.

Anyway, in Melbourne at the moment, so when they let me out I will go to my nearest Hardly Normal and haggle.

For my son, I also going to get him extended warranty... knowing him, that laptop won't last 2 years :roll:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Throw some more RAM in it whichever one you go with.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!