Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Generation Zero

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

FYI, don't think this has been mentioned. 2019 release from a small team within Avalanche. It launched to mixed reviews so stayed under the radar certainly for me. It was in the last Humble Bundle which is the first I've seen of it. Upon checking it out I was drawn to the style and setting. Generation Zero is another instance of devs going to work to turn around a soft launch and managing to win people over. It's an open world FPS set in Sweden in 1989. You return home and the place has been overrun by killer robots. I installed it and can confirm the style is super minimal which I like. Sparse European countryside, no people, 80s synth soundtrack. You traverse the world picking up clues as to people's whereabouts and what happened. The robots are not fodder. They're not easy to kill and are fast and aggressive. Stealth plays a big part as you can be overrun if you run and gun. Resources, healing and ammo are found within the world and are limited. There's a real survival horror flavour when you're being hunted, health is low and you have to choose between your high power weapon with only two or three rounds left or your handgun. There are no special powers, tagging of enemies or other such open world shooter aids. All you get is an enemy direction queue when you're being heard. You're constantly scouting, using binoculars and being careful. Shooting robots looks great. Sparks, chunks flying off until they eventually explode. Sound is amazing. Hearing the robots chat their spooky machine language in the distance is immersive. Characters progress via a skill tree with skill points unlocked as you earn XP. I'm enjoying it.

It's a co-op game built so friends can drop in anytime. Public games also available.