Aliens Fireteam Elite

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Aliens Fireteam Elite

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Has anyone been following this?
Gotta admit.. they have the look and the PULSE RIFLE sound.. so I'm in on Xbox.. It is going to be a budget game.. and there are only 12 campaign missions... but Left 4 Dead style.. with Aliens.. looks very promising. I included this video as it seemed to be the most reminiscent of how it would feel playing multiplayer with people.

Austin Wintory of Journey fame has done the music too so again - very keen to hear what he comes up with.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Aliens Fireteam Elite

Post by t0mby »

I saw this the other day and it piqued my interest but when I head it was going to be like L4D I was out off because of playing with randoms. If you're down for Xbox though I could be keen.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

t0mby wrote: 29 Jul 2021 04:40 pm I saw this the other day and it piqued my interest but when I head it was going to be like L4D I was out off because of playing with randoms. If you're down for Xbox though I could be keen.
I'll be playing on Xbox Series X so lets do it. I have two other friends who are Aliens fans and are also keen. :)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Lock it in Eddie. It's released on Aug 24th.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Mighty Ape just released their price on this $69, so expect similar of not cheaper elsewhere on launch day. I can definitely get behind this at that price.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

t0mby wrote: 03 Aug 2021 08:12 am Mighty Ape just released their price on this $69, so expect similar of not cheaper elsewhere on launch day. I can definitely get behind this at that price.
It's $59 at JB Hifi.. but I assume that is pick up. There is a just a few mins drive from my house so that's an easy pick up for me!

The more I watch videos of it.. the more I'm hyped about it. I should probably stop otherwise I'll jinx it like I did with Mass Effect Andromeda and Cyberpunk.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

So.
Got to put a good 10hr stint on this and I gotta admit.. I really like it. I'm only 5 levels in. It plays well. I'm a bit unsure how long as to how long I can play the game on repeat.. but Monster Hunter hooked me... so let's see.

The cosmetic stuff is also surprisingly cool too.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I'm jelly. You better not be burnt out before I get my copy! This is the notice on JBs website here atm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

I was worried that it wouldn't feel good and on my initial play I felt odd BUT I realised that the last two games I had played were Horizon Zero Dawn and Returnal.. the latter had some incredibly tactile and quick moving gameplay so going to Fireteam felt very sluggish.. I've had a play with some of the settings and it is feeling a lot better.

Cold Iron Studios have definitely given me things to tinker with for my character load outs.. I would have liked it that I could have a character for each type of load out.. as in.. Have a female character as a demolisher.. then a male character for a Technician... that in turn would open up the idea of subbing in these characters to be my AI companions instead of the synths that are just the most basic of basic with no specials/perks. I get that they want to encourage you to play online but it still would be a good addition.

Don't worry though - If I can play Dead Cells, Monster Hunter World and Andromeda MP for the grind.. I doubt I'll be burnt out :)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Caved, bought digital because for the first time on a long time it was actually cheaper than retail. It's not bad at all, I don't think the MC average is accurate but maybe that changes through the campaign. Looks like there will be 12 missions in the campaign, 3 per chapter and Horde mode is locked until you finish the campaign.

The graphics are serviceable, they seem a bit bleh when in the ship (lobby) and when talking to the characters their heads move a bit like they're talking but their mouths don't move. Maybe CDPR will patch this in later. When playing the missions the game looks better.

There was no training or guidance on what button does what so I was chucked in the deep end on my first mission but thankfully I played on my own with two AI (Working Joes lookalikes), attempted the second mission but got a bit difficult towards the end on my own. Hooked up with GCF a little later, tried to invite Jobbidiar but I think he was already in a campaign with someone. GCF got booted/dropped within a few minutes of the mission starting, invited him again and was stable as for the duration of the two missions then it was time to pull the plug.

Overall, I enjoyed what I played and the action cones thick and fast in places. Looking forward to the later missions going down to the planet LV845. Definitely seems worth the budget price.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

THe sexual innuendo from t0mby also comes thick and fast too. :D

if they can iron out the connectivity issues the game has a lot to offer.

I had to clear some setting on my Series X because I kept having drop outs.. followed the instructions to clear the MAC address stuff or some shit and that seemingly fixed the issues.

The perks grid has some cool ideas and ways to approach it.. and so far I haven't been bored with replaying any of the levels I have access to.

Hoping to play more on Wednesday!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Almost finished the 9th level last night with GCF, but got absolutely dominated in the last big stand off. Great to see the game tie in with Prometheus and Covenant. Last 3 levels is down to the hive and the kid in me is excited as shit. Have almost maxed out my Gunner class, have a couple of maxed weapons so will be looking forward to grinding another class. Handy that some of the weapons can be assigned to other classes too so that'll help on the lower levels until some perks are opened on the classes.

Also, the waves of enemies really ramps up with 3 players even on standard difficulty as opposed to playing with 2 AI companions and really feels like a full on battle. Really happy with my purchase of this, just seems like the Metacritic average is a bit underwhelming compared to the experience, but then again it could be because I've been a fan of the Aliens franchise for as long as I can remember.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Finished the campaign last night with GCF, man those last 2 levels were epic. Claustrophobic af in places, facehuggers, drones, warriors, spitters, exploding aliens, preatorians and a Queen. I'm really loving this game and not finding the grind a chore at all, the gunplay is satisfying, the graphics in places are fantastic and the sound is pretty much on par too. My only gripe is the game could be a bit more polished outside of the actual missions. The hub (Weyland-Yatani ship) could've done with a bit more polish and maybe the intro & outro to each of the 4 levels could've had a nice cut scene, especially after the full on last level.

Poor old GCF is having save issues and losing progress where it's like the game reverts back to an old save from the day before off the cloud. He could have a good 2-3hr session and then boom, all progress lost. Shame because it seems to be an isolated experience. There's no manual save we can see, just an autosave.