Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

A Cricket Simulator I Made

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

My wife got me the old Test Match board game for Christmas. Not the one with the green felt mat, the metal ball and the plastic fielders (have had that one since I was a kid), but the even older 2D one from the 1950s:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18657/test-match
This is not so much of a game as a device for simulating a test match. The board holds a score board and two rotating randomizers. The bowler rotates his handle to first ball of the over and back to the start, revealing a type of ball (leg break, bouncer, etc). The batsman rotates his handle to the type of ball bowled, and back again, revealing a batsman scoring runs or being dismissed. If you know the rules of cricket, it's obvious how to simulate a test match given these rules.
It's so bad it's good. It's 100% luck-based, no skill required at all. And it's possible to be bowled by a bouncer. And LBW.

Was all out for 60 in my first go :lol:

I thought about dusting off my ancient and unused programming skills to convert it into an electronic version just to see if I can, and here is the result:

https://antipodeangames.itch.io/cricket-simulator

Be kind :redface:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: A Cricket Simulator I Made

Post by Froggy »

Have it a quick bash. Brought back memories as my Mum got me Test Match when I was younger only to find out that it was this version when I opened it lol.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Australia vs West Indies

Aus all out for 138.
WI top order collapsed. Aus looking to romp it in with WI reeling at 7 for 31. However in what must rank as one of the greatest tail wags in history the WI fought back. At 9 for 90 the ball was caught in the outfield however it was miraculously not out due to a no ball. The final wicket fell with the innings at 99 runs. Aus wins by 39.
Last edited by Peppermint Lounge on 13 Jan 2022 06:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I hate cricket. This was significantly more interesting than cricket. Well done :up:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside

Thanks for the kind words everyone :) It's the first creative piece I've ever actually finished to the point where I'm happy for others to see it. I have so many half completed or barely started projects on my HDD it's not funny. Reaction to this both here and on BigFooty (the only places I've shared the link so far) have been really positive, so thank you :) Might even dust off some of the other projects (the other game I've been working on since forever is far more interactive and an actual game than this one :D )

There's a few things I want to change/improve. One is how no balls are handled (as with the board game, my game doesn't grant the batting team an extra run, nor does it force the bowling team to re-bowl it) and another is to recognise things like hat tricks in the commentary :) And being bowled/caught LBW from a bouncer is a holdover from the original board game too :D

If anyone has any other suggestions, happy to take them on board :)

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

Australia vs NZ

Batting first, the Aussies set NZ a target of 76 to win. The Kiwis got off to a terrible start, and were 2 for 2 after the first over. Looked like their luck might change after a skied ball was caught, which turned out to be a no ball, but it just delayed the inevitable, collapsing to an all out total of 25 off just 4.2 overs.
stanard
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: shimma
PSN ID: shimma1138
Steam ID: stanard

Post by stanard »

I love it, lots of fun.

A full scorecard at the end would be pretty awesome (but don't know hard hard that would be to implement). And bowling types (spin or fast) should stay the same each over if possible.
Ambrose Burnside

stanard wrote: 14 Jan 2022 10:50 am I love it, lots of fun.

A full scorecard at the end would be pretty awesome (but don't know hard hard that would be to implement). And bowling types (spin or fast) should stay the same each over if possible.
Thanks!

Definitely agree with both suggestions :)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Won by 103 runs. Nice work :up:
Ambrose Burnside

Thanks man :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

Patch Notes

No balls are now handled correctly (The batting team will receive an extra run for each no ball bowled by the bowling team. The bowling team will have to re-bowl each no ball delivery)
It is no longer possible to be bowled or caught LBW from a bouncer delivery type (only caught by a fielder)
Hat-tricks are now recognised
Various commentary improvements in light of these changes

I feel like a real developer :lol: