Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Sony buys Bungie

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Transaction amount dwarfed by the Activistion deal but no less seismic given Bungie put XBox on the map. When MS snagged Activistion questions were being asked about the shooter disparity between XBox vs Playstation and how Sony would respond.

bungie.net/en/News/Article/50988

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Sony buys Bungie

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

My first response to this was... really?

Seemed like an odd one considering how they wanted to be independent. Now they're happy to be bought out again?

I noticed how the press release stated they'll remain multiplatform and independent but again (based on the arguments given for why MS will eventually make Activision and Bethesda exclusive) for how long?

Did they think they were getting everything they wanted and free money? Are they in for a big shock?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Hope this means they can do more than just Destiny,

Not a fan of games as a service (and Bungie's approach to killing off older story content locking newbies out. The main reason I uninstalled Destiny 2).
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Bungie has burned every partner they've worked with, I don't see how this will end up any different. Sony massively over paid for 1 studio / 1 game.

Good luck to them, bungie management, well played.

I'm not even sure what Sony get out of this deal, they've declared they're still operating independently and will stay multiplatform. Destiny revenue doesn't justify that valuation at all.

Looks like a panic move by Sony after losing COD to MS. Sony relied on COD way too much ignoring the FPS genre with their first party output.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

This makes me wonder what they've shown off in private, because Destiny is kinda meh
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

"Make a story based Halo killer!' is what I imagine will be asked of them.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Bungie to develop the next Killzone :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 01 Feb 2022 01:02 pm This makes me wonder what they've shown off in private, because Destiny is kinda meh
Apparently they're working on another game called "matter" it's a Fortnite styled shooter, service orientated and meant to be multiplatform. Release date for it is slated 2024/2025 though, so still a long way out.

Still can't see what Sony get out of this deal. Feels like Sony bought them to not be completely locked out of the shooter market since MS own everyone else now.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote: 01 Feb 2022 03:27 pm Bungie to develop the next Killzone :lol:
Even though I laugh with you I do truely believe KZ2 is the greatest fps game put on Playstation as a first party exclusive.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I remember the input lag videos that came out. Certainly had a unique feel to the game.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I didn't play it until around 4 or 5 years after release so that could've been patched out. I know the weapons had a great weight feel to them, was quite impressed by the variety between them all. Plus the gritty design with all the drab colours gave it that industrial feeling, something that was missing in the 3rd instalment.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote: 01 Feb 2022 05:39 pm
unfnknblvbl wrote: 01 Feb 2022 01:02 pm This makes me wonder what they've shown off in private, because Destiny is kinda meh
Apparently they're working on another game called "matter" it's a Fortnite styled shooter, service orientated and meant to be multiplatform. Release date for it is slated 2024/2025 though, so still a long way out.

Still can't see what Sony get out of this deal. Feels like Sony bought them to not be completely locked out of the shooter market since MS own everyone else now.
Jesus wept. Bungie Fortnite? Sony are more than welcome keep that one an exclusive.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Bungie are kings of the console FPS, so this one hurts.

But if they're only developing "games as a service", Sony can have them. I loved Destiny, but I've jumped onto Destiny 2 late and it's just a confusing mess.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

They'll still be self-publishing, it looks like everything will release multi-platform.

I hadn't heard anything about Matter since it was first mentioned back when Forsaken launched for Destiny (late 2018). Assumed it would be something of similar scope and was kind of excited with Chris Barrett taking the reins, but if it's like Fortnite I can safely stop being interested in it.

A Bungo-made Killzone or even Resistance could be pretty cool IMO, they've got the best gunplay on the market, but I reckon if they make an exclusive game at all it'll be a new IP, and it won't be any time soon. Destiny has expansions announced for the next few years, and apparently the one in 2024 is the start of a new trilogy of annual expansions. I think it's more likely they'll be acting in more of a consultancy role for another studio that's working on a shooter.