Blue Dragon in the warehouse and shipping now.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

You cunts should pitch in and buy it for my bday.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Fuck you, my b'day is before yours.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

My bday's that day, I'm more important anyway.
Fuck you, give me your sister too.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

unfnknblvbl wrote:May 22? OMG!
For US. When do we get it? Who knows :(
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Uhh.... I know... September 2007.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Should be region free too eh?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Let's just hope the yank version turns out to be region free.

edit: tomby beat me to it, didn't realise there's 2 pages to this thread..
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Shaneus wrote:ZOMFG (stoled from GAF, as usual)
Blue Dragon (Xbox 360) Gets Dated - 22nd May 2007

That's right, this blog header pretty much says it all! Xbox 360 owners in Singapore as well as other westernized countries can soon look forward to playing Sakaguchi's newest RPG masterpiece come May 22nd. We can all take this news as truly official, as one MS exec revealed to me that Blue Dragon have indeed gotten its release date pushed ahead of schedule. So rather than having to wait till August (as previously stated), 360 gamers can finally taste some sweet RPG love at last next month. And here's the sweetener: MS have listened to RPG fans' feedbacks and have stuck to Blue Dragon's native Japanese audio, but with 100% English texts/subtitles! Way to go Microsoft!

But that's not all, as I've also learned that the Americanized (read English translated) version of Square Enix's Wing-Commanderish sleeper-hit, Project Sylpheed, will also be hitting our local shore come June at about the same time as it arrives in the US of A. Fans of car racing should rejoice too, as Forza Motorsport 2 will hit retail some time at the end of May - a date is unconfirmed at this point of writing though. It looks like the Xbox 360 will have a pretty hot summer holiday now, and you've heard it here first at GameAxis.
http://www.gameaxis.com/home/index.php?blog=1288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fucking awesome... subtitles FTMFW
People like Japanese voices with subtitles? Fuck that shit.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Yeah man, way better. For some reasons the overdubs never suit the game over jap voices and subs. Look at Shenmue vs Shenmue 2.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

It's a matter of getting it to fit aswell, because saying something in japanese mightn't be as long as saying the equivalent in english you get changes to the dialogue to simply make it fit, and it can change the feel of what's being said or the focus of what's being said etc
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:People like Japanese voices with subtitles? Fuck that shit.
You're dead to me.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Ben wrote:It's a matter of getting it to fit aswell, because saying something in japanese mightn't be as long as saying the equivalent in english you get changes to the dialogue to simply make it fit, and it can change the feel of what's being said or the focus of what's being said etc
And American casting agents seem to be able to cast completely the wrong person for a role with near perfect accuracy.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Talez wrote:
Ben wrote:It's a matter of getting it to fit aswell, because saying something in japanese mightn't be as long as saying the equivalent in english you get changes to the dialogue to simply make it fit, and it can change the feel of what's being said or the focus of what's being said etc
And American casting agents seem to be able to cast completely the wrong person for a role with near perfect accuracy.
:lol: yep, and not that he's horrible or anything, but I'd place a winning bet down that if it did get an english dub the ubiquitous Cam Clarke would be in there, somewhere.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:People like Japanese voices with subtitles? Fuck that shit.
Yes, a lot of people prefer it.

Personally I almost always prefer, no matter what it is, that the voice acting remains true to what it originally was. Games, anime, movies, etc. Even when I have a choice to watch or play something in a dub or sub, I almost always prefer subs with the original voice acting.

More often than not English voice acting in games and anime originally from Japan turns out to be awful.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

"No, don't come!!"
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Gooooldmaaaaaaaaaaaan
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Except for Samurai Pizza Cats, where they didn't receive any script at all, just footage and had to basically write the storyline in English from the visuals!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Ben wrote:
Talez wrote:
:lol: yep, and not that he's horrible or anything, but I'd place a winning bet down that if it did get an english dub the ubiquitous Cam Clarke would be in there, somewhere.
Oh the pain of having to sit through his voice acting in Grandia II among other things.
Corey
Immersion Patent Expert

Post by Corey »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:People like Japanese voices with subtitles?
Yeah. I play Ninja Gaiden like that.
David Carney

Post by David Carney »

Shaneus wrote:Except for Samurai Pizza Cats, where they didn't receive any script at all, just footage and had to basically write the storyline in English from the visuals!
Are you serious. That's awesome!!!! :lol:
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First of all, the difference in translation was one born out of necessity. When Saban bought rights to the show, the translators were supplied with the tapes of the series in Japanese, but not with any transcripts. Furthermore, the show was apparently chock full of esoteric Japanese cultural and linguistic references. Under these circumstances, Andy Thomas, the Saban producer, decided to have brand new scripts written to match the animation. As a result, the show ended up being something of a spoof of itself, much as if it was the target of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode.

Secondly, Samurai Pizza Cats may be said to be one of the few anime shows whose majority of followers feel that its translation has not been detrimental to its value. The creativitity of the new scripts and the fact that even the lip-synch was modified to match the new lines, together with the show's good-natured silliness and tendency to make fun of itself (and others), have proven to be popular with viewers. Despite all of this, several edits were made because of purportedly violent or inappropriate content. Other small scenes were dropped, either because of extensive Japanese references, or because of time slot constraints.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Man, Cam Clarke is the shit! NINJA TURTLES FFS!!! Sure he can only do one voice, and it is funny to hear a game when he does multiple characters, but I dunno... it always makes me smile to hear his voice.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

lol @ ambrose & holy shit that is cool about the pizza cats!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

But this is a game. Like cartoons, very few games are voiced live, the animations are done AFTER the voice acting is complete. There's no reason (other than laziness) why this game can't be redone with English voice acting that syncs with what's happening on screen. MS did this with Shenmue II.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Pointy Cat wrote:More often than not English voice acting in games and anime originally from Japan turns out to be awful.
But the Japanese voice acting is excellent, right?