Blue Dragon in the warehouse and shipping now.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

$79 at JB.
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

whitespider wrote:I'"ll give it another 3 hours soon. Then if the impression lasts, return.
Don't bother with the 3 hours. Return it now, move onto something else.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Pointy Cat wrote:$79 at JB.
Cheers Pointy :up:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Post impressions if you do play for another 3 hours.

Was really looking forward to playing a jrpg on the xbox360. Haven't really had time to play them on a next gen console. Still haven't played persona 1 and 2 on playstation 1.

RPGs take up a lot of time and energy.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Ben wrote:Also, did this have the option for original voices? I forget, or was that Eternal Sonata?
Forgot to add. It does. You have the option at the start of the game for English, Japanese or.... French voice acting.

I think Eternal Sonata has a Japanese voice acting option too from memory.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Pointy Cat wrote:
Ben wrote:Also, did this have the option for original voices? I forget, or was that Eternal Sonata?
Forgot to add. It does. You have the option at the start of the game for English, Japanese or.... French voice acting.
Hah...French.. odd.

Hmmm, I also notice that the US version is region free.. wonder if I can wait, I do hate those Aussie ratings labels a lot, MA isn't bad with the red, but PG yellow doesn't gel with a lot of cover-art.

I think I'm probably being pedantic though, and no doubt I'll cave if JB have it in stock.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

It is? Hmmm. Is it cheap anywhere?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Play-Asia have it listed for $73~ which is where I saw it was playable on PAL consoles.
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

(7 hours play so far)

This games crime is it's mediocrity, and that crime actually makes it worse than other games, that completely fuck a certain aspect up.

Nothing stands out, insanely so, nothing is memorable, the characterization is generic, everything is generic.

This has to be the most stereotypical games I have ever played, the storyline is of of the the biggest disappointments, the characters are annoying, even for a Japanese game (they WILL GRATE AT YOU'RE NERVES), the music is forgettable (music... I can't remember if there was any, although I was technically playing for hours 15 mins ago), the graphics are washed out.

I don't want to repeat myself, but if you buy this game, you will make a mistake. YOU WILL MAKE A MISTAKE. This is NOT a good game, in ANY way, nomatter what your disposition.

This game is sooooooooo generic, I have played ps2 rpg's, and they all stand out in some way, persona, xenosaga, shining force even, every rpg has something that goes "this is ours" Constant summons in blue dragon are not a new thing, nothing is new, nothing is fresh, the storyline has people talking, but that's it. This shames japanese rpg's, and all the progress they have made. This game is mediocre, and the relentless extent of how mediocre it is, makes it bad.

Without the insane score from before, so far, honestly, I would score this 2/10.

Graphics: 5/10
Storyline: 1/10 (it has people talking)
Atmosphere: 0/10
Music: 1/10
Gameplay: 1/10
Controls: 8/10
Personality:0/10
Innovation:0/10
Art: 0/10

Overall: 2/10 (bad)

For the sake of comparison Here is persona 3

Graphics:7/10
Storyline: 9/10
Atmosphere: 8/10
Music: 6/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Controls: 9/10
Personality:9/10
Innovation:8/10
Art: 8/10

Overall: 8.5/10 (great)
God I hate smashmouth and the offspring.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:laugh: So now Toriyama is shit? Stick to Bioshock fool.
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

pilonv1 wrote:
His work in dragons quest was fantastic, he's a great artist, the art in this game, is among some of the worst I have ever seen. Pasted on eyes, models that have absolutely no style, it looks like those freeware models you get for 3d max, like, we made these, you can use these for free sites. As much as I respect Toyiyama's work, I don't respect it in this.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Those are some arbitrary ratings if ever I've seen them. You either like the game or you don't.
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

Pat wrote:Those are some arbitrary ratings if ever I've seen them. You either like the game or you don't.
I'll keep it simple for you, and you're lizzard kind (hisssss)

AVOID.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

whitespider wrote:
pilonv1 wrote:
His work in dragons quest was fantastic, he's a great artist, the art in this game, is among some of the worst I have ever seen.
THEY LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

whitespider wrote:AVOID.
Your posts? Shall do :up:
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Pilon why do you even care about this game? It is getting scores significantly lower than the supposedly HORRIBLE Heavenly Sword, just let it die in peace.

Back in reality, Point Cat I demand more in depth impressions as you seem to be going into this game with the same view I have, if it keeps you interested story wise I'll probably grab it soon since I really do want a nice next gen RPG (I have a bunch left to play on PS2 but the graphics whore inside me is demanding I play my hi def consoles more).
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Sonic Jam wrote:Pilon why do you even care about this game? It is getting scores significantly lower than the supposedly HORRIBLE Heavenly Sword, just let it die in peace.
I don't base my purchases on reviews.

Earth Defense Force :up:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix :up:
Space Giraffe :up:
Chrome Hounds :up:
Carve :up:

etc..
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

pilonv1 wrote:
Sonic Jam wrote:Pilon why do you even care about this game? It is getting scores significantly lower than the supposedly HORRIBLE Heavenly Sword, just let it die in peace.
I don't base my purchases on reviews.

Earth Defense Force :up:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix :up:
Space Giraffe :up:
Chrome Hounds :up:
Carve :up:

etc..

But you're obviously caring about the outcome, you saw something you liked, you need it to be something.

That's how bias is born, in little eggs just like that.

The outcome, is grim, I don't even know what kind of reviews blue dragon has gotten since I checked last, but I hope to god nobody has given it anything positive.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I don't care at all, if I want to play something because I like the look of it I will. I don't need reviews to justify my console purchases :pimp:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'll back you on EDF. It's so much fun while you are playing it. It's like a popcorn film. It's so much fun while you are there.

There is nothing wrong with Blue Dragon, it's your average JRPG. I think that's what the real problem is, it's an average JRPG. It brings nothing new to the table, and with the people who have teamed up to work on it, they haven't ushered in the new age of RPG's. It's a solid enjoyable RPG, the characters are nice, I really like Shu's cockiness, the combat is solid (no weapons nice!), the class system works well. It's a good stock JRPG, just not what amazing.

It is deserving of the scores that it is getting.
whitespider
I'm a real farmer now!

Post by whitespider »

Average is worse than bad in this case.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I think the important thing here is, we have an okay JRPG on a western machine and it did well in Japan.

Let's hope the next game about the immortal dude from mystwalker is something different (although I wasn't overly impressed with the demo last year...)
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Well I've played a bit more of it, though still not a great deal into it, but enough to form some kind of opinion.

To put it simply, the more I play it the less I like it. It's just not grabbing me. It's not that the game it bad as such, it's simply that it's average, very average. I was expecting something special with this game, so I'm quite let down to be saying all this.

The problem that comes to my mind the most with this game is its lack of imagination. Artistically it is boring. Sure, the graphics can be nice in parts, but there's only so much polish you can give a rock. The characters are ok, they're interesting enough, but again, they do feel like nothing more then stock standard JRPG characters. The world feels so stock standard. The whole game gives me the vibe of it being put together from 'off the shelf' ideas and styles.

The story is doing nothing for me. I dunno, what's there just isn't that appealing. But then, story is something that is hard to judge after only a few of hours of play time.

I might be wrong here, but I get the feeling MS wanted a high profile JRPG and were giving out money hats to get it, and Blue Dragon is the result. Sure a lot of high profile (well, high profile if you're a geek and/or weeaboo) people worked on this game, but I get the feeling that they didn't put a lot into this game. MS wanted a JRPG, and a very generic one they got.

As I said, it's not a bad game at all, just not great. Just average. The ~7/10 scores it has been getting fit it well. If you're desperate for a JRPG and all you have is an X360, then this will do fine. I'll play it some more, maybe I'll warm to it. But it's just not grabbing me at the moment. *sigh*
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I'd say wait for Eternal Sonata at this point.

I'm about 6.5 hours in and I'm liking it. Nothing special but it works.

The missionary position of RPGs.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I quite enjoyed the demo so I'm looking forward to Blue Dragon. Ordered the US one from Play-Asia as I'm in no big rush for it though and it worked out with a discount coupon to be about $70 shipped.