Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Elden Ring

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I tried to hold off but caved. Perfect scores being logged everywhere. Current PC Metacritic score is 95. It's higher on the consoles I think.
Preinstalling now. It clashes with Witch Queen but I can't see a Destiny 2 campaign taking me too long.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Re: Elden Ring

BTW Humble Bundle are selling it for $65.

edit: sorry guys I didn't realise the price above applies to Humble Bundle Choice subscribers only.
Last edited by Peppermint Lounge on 24 Feb 2022 08:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

It looks exhausting, to be honest.
Peppermint Lounge wrote: 24 Feb 2022 04:22 pm BTW Humble Bundle are selling it for $65.
I hate you for telling me this.

Edit: That's only if you're a member of Humble Plus or whatever it is. The cost of joining up is $16, which takes the price right back to where it was haha
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

All the hype is getting to me but i've never liked Souls games and I don't have enough time to even learn how to play this let alone finish it.
Peppermint Lounge wrote: 24 Feb 2022 04:22 pm BTW Humble Bundle are selling it for $65.
Isn't that the Humble Choice price?

DLGamer for $68 seems the cheapest for PC

https://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/ ... =eldenring
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I am a Choice member so perhaps it is. Apologies.

Checked just now and yes when hovering cursor over 20% off box it says 'Choice discount'.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Serious performance issues are being reported with the day one patch. There were already issues flagged in reviews that used the earier version but the just-released patch has apparently made hitching and frame drops worse. Digital Foundry going so far as to say it could be sensible to wait for futher patches before playing.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Oh and the PC version is locked to 60fps.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Drooled all over the video review I started watching, but the nightmare difficulty of these games has always turned me off.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Peppermint Lounge wrote: 25 Feb 2022 11:09 am Oh and the PC version is locked to 60fps.
:lol: From Software never changes
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Gonna go and physically buy this from a store once I'm allowed out. Currently locked down corona style.

That looks like it's gonna line up with several more performance patches likely between now and then so hopefully its running another 10-15% better again. Watching digital foundry it does appear it shipped to the date then before it was completely ready from an optimisation stand point but yes the engine is shit. In this day and age that engine should be shitting out 60fps on the new consoles and PC easily but Jesus it is a pile of shit.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Holding off until it’s patched again. Next patch improves kbam control as well as performance.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Peppermint Lounge
The End

From a long line of perfect scores to DF recommending that it not be played in its current state on PC. ACG also revised it down to ‘wait for sale’ due to performance issues.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Doesn't all Souls game have performance issues? 😅
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside

It sucks that PC ports still have issues for some developers.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

The console versions are bad too. Sub-60 fps performance modes, tearing and slow load times.
Ambrose Burnside

Ah jeez.

All the 10/10 reviews assuming that a day one patch would fix it?

Kinda sick of gushing reviews for broken games.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Day one patch fixed some things but reviewers like ACG said overall performance is worse. I’ve seen lestat playing. Would be interested to hear his take.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Lvl 44 with my samurai, pushed through the castle and beat Godrick today, cleaned up a lot of bosses on the open world areas and dungeons before the castle.

Game is great but it's not a 97 meta game imo, the open world is largely barren and kinda boring, the horse can be cheesy and janky at same time. Performance issues are present in the form of stutters which come and go as they please, it's smooth for the most part though. Some of the boss encounters are really BS, I think From tried to give veterans a challenge but it just feels cheap and victory here just feels like relief than euphoria in past games.

I was hoping there would be more interesting armor or weapons, in my 26hrs of play time so far I'm still pretty much still using the base armor/weapon set my Samurai got, it's really fucking bad. Also I think upgrade shards are way too limited, I'm finding it hard to level my weapons. The Ashes abilities and summons are cool additions, but now regular enemies can do all sorts of crazy magic like abilities, it's cool and frustrating at the same time.

I thought the whole GRR Martin collab was meant to produce a cool story, some great narrative, but so far it's been terrible, very little is explained, extremely vague and just renaming old themes from the old games. Dialogue is weird and feels written by their old writers.

Reviewers completely over scored this.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Thanks for the summary, lestat. Do you play kbam or controller?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Controller.

Playing some more, the mid to later areas are pretty breathtaking in terms of design and vistas, I've found some more interesting gear which is good, it's mostly weapons I haven't found armor sets that are better than my start set yet. The game starts to repeat bosses in dungeons and areas, so it kinda gets easier since you already have the attacks down pat and you've got a lot more flasks and health to take hits.

It can be very easy to get lost, this map and world is pretty massive and with no quest markers you're just exploring areas hoping to find something that progresses you to the next area.

Game has completely sucked me in, 34hrs playtime already. :o
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Elden Ring

Glad to read it's good. I'll start when I've finished off the new Destiny 2 campaign (which is great, btw). Been thinking about the class and build I'll go for. Latest thought is a Vagabond strength/faith build. Hoping to get a taste of melee and magic for my playthrough. This after I was originally turned off Vagabond as it’s the obvious beginner class. Was looking also at Confessor and Prisoner.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

A friend who's really into the Souls games reckons it's brilliant, and more focussed on exploration than kicking your arse... but I think we have different ideas about difficulty, and to some extent he's trying to get me to buy it to play co-op, haha. I dunno, it looks really good but I think I'll try before I buy with this one. Too many half-finished Souls games laying about.

lestat wrote: 27 Feb 2022 05:52 pmI was hoping there would be more interesting armor or weapons, in my 26hrs of play time so far I'm still pretty much still using the base armor/weapon set my Samurai got, it's really fucking bad. Also I think upgrade shards are way too limited, I'm finding it hard to level my weapons.
This... sounds like every Souls game to me. Unless you choose to start as the deliberately shit naked guy with no items, you have to get significantly into the game before you find anything that feels like an actual upgrade over your starting kit. Crafting/upgrading involves too many tough and irreversible decisions, and every choice cuts you off from making something else, so I end up hoarding materials which doubtlessly makes the games harder than they need to be.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Elden sure has that special something. Couldn't wait for the patch. Had a false start after making a character but forgetting to choose a keepsake (special item or ability you choose at character creation). Been toying around the start area with my Vagabond. Just started to forge ahead now and wow. Performance is pretty bad but the game is amazing enough that it's tolerable. It's certainly playable. Hope they can iron it out. I've got it installed on my NVMe drive and I'm regularly dipping below 60 regardless of settings or resolution. Performance is the same at max 1440p or medium 1080p. GPU utilisation is all over the place. Radeon Control Centre list me at an average 55fps. Sounds about right. Usually 55-60fps with stutters dropping into the 40s. Love the game.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

So glad you guys are still able to enjoy the game despite its technical issues. The are pretty well known and I’m sure FS is working on fixes. At this point I’ll just wait but loved reading your impressions.