AFL23 - Gils Opus?

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

AFL23 - Gils Opus?

Post by Froggy »

Oh boy.. well we are getting close to another attempt at an AFL game this time back to Big Ant Studios. Nothing so far is filling me with much confidence besides improved dev tools in the latest Unreal engine which I think they are building it with, so hopefully this makes it harder for them to make a shit game.

Key Features
  • Incorporates over 1200 players across the AFL/AFLW, with motion captured animation, photo-realistic likenesses, in depth skills and unique player traits powered by Champion Data.
  • Gameplay built on the bespoke Big Ant Studios’ Sports Engine, and featuring gameplans developed in association with AFL coaches to have players react as they would on the field.
    Build your favourite AFL or AFLW club into a footballing powerhouse in the Management Career mode, overseeing drafting and player development, you’ll be in full control of your team’s path to the silverware.
  • Create your own clubs, players and stadiums, then share them with the world online. The renowned Big Ant Studios Academy tools come to an AFL game for the first time.
  • Take on all comers! Play with up to 4 local co-op players online, with crossplay enabled, to take on any challenger, anywhere.
  • Commentary featuring Anthony Hudson, Hamish McLachlan, Daniel Harford, Kelli Underwood and Jason Bennett.
Notes:
Dear god Kelli Underwood.. fuck me on the commentary side, they've gone and got the most hated commentator maybe she was cheap?
Four player local is good but not sure how this will be implemented.
Cross play fuck yes.

Worries:
Been on BigFooty arguing that why would you include and put dev time into adding AFLW on your first go when we already know from past history with AFL games they are going to be up against it to just make a game engine that is barely playable. I honestly do not understand the logic coming from a dev background myself. you have say 10million dollars to spend on the game, on what planet even if you love AFLW would you put in your first go around a chunk of that budget into a mode that hardly anyone wants or will play, bizarre decision and doesn't bode well for the actual game. (Hi Ambrose now you know who I am on BigFooty).

AO Tennis and Cricket were absolutely abysmal on release, whilst BA might fix games post release not a great track record (to me anyway) of delivering something of predictable quality on day 1. If anything it's more than likely they usually release a poor showing before patching which worries me as they only have one real chance with an AFL game to win over the masses after I think 5 in a row terrible Wicked Witch attempts. If it's shit on release I don't think there's any coming back and we might not see another AFL game for 10 years.

Won't show footage and claim the AFL controls that.. seems quite odd and is also the well worn AFL game path because the game is terrible so they hide it until release.

All being said, no doubt I'll still buy it but just been burnt too many times by AFL games that seeing all these red flags happening again is not filling me with confidence at all that this time will be different.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: AFL23 - Gils Opus?

Post by Froggy »

Oh boy Port Adelaide are back with the Prison Bars now, hopefully these will be in the game!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Looks the best AFL game to date but again looks like a classic Big Ant complete mess on release date. They can't afford to screw up the launch but I feel they are going to and think they'll solve it through patching after the PR damage is too far gone to fix. Here's the trailer:
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I don't understand how hard it is to make a decent controlling AFL game! It shouldn't be hard at all!

Having Kellie Underwood as commentator is a massive red flag and almost worthy of not buying the game that's how much I cannot stand her pathetic attempts at trying to sound like 1 of the blokes.

And putting in AFLW when you can barely get the AFL right? So far not looking good at all.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Been delayed now, claiming because the xbox stock isn't ready on time but PS5 is already in stores. I bet it's more likely more time needed to try and make a massive day 1 patch going by the limited video of the game seen so far.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Holy shit what a disaster. I'm not sure the game will recover from this launch and if we'll ever get another one. Completely broken, already 3 weeks later after everyone was told the games on disc in stores and "done". Clearly not, they tried to use 3 more weeks and it's clear to me Xbox won't pass it quality wise to release but they are blaming transport of physical disks lol. It's crashing on Playstations so I would expect this to get pulled from the store, a complete disaster. Even if they do patch it, all the videos going around is all the casual fans are going to see.

I can't find any critic reviews, I can assume they knew it was in a turd state so didn't send any out. It sucks because I think the actual game looks pretty good this time, just unplayable if it even boots lol.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Oh dear.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I've been having way too much fun ripping this shit to pieces on BigFooty.

Mainly the arrogant CEO of Big Ant. Jesus Christ what a mess.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

That thread is some gold. I can't believe after all this there is still people who'll defend them to the death over a currently unplayable game again.

Yes if you are not keeping up, they did another patch (after a 3 week wait for it on PS5) and the game won't load past the title screen as of last night :lol: I can't believe you can't play a game offline still, it's ridiculous. I'm disappointed, I also had high hopes but some decisions were big red flags and well it's still not on Xbox so I've dodged a bullet by them delivering a terrible game that xbox won't approve (so far). Going by last night the odds of it actually ever getting released on Xbox must be decreasing rapidly.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Link to the big footy thread?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Most of the good stuff's been nuked though, I missed the day when Ross pulled out someones job application and resume and went real personal, that's probably the highlight of the end of BA on BigFooty, then they made their own forum.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Froggy wrote: 11 Jul 2023 12:00 pm Most of the good stuff's been nuked though, I missed the day when Ross pulled out someones job application and resume and went real personal, that's probably the highlight of the end of BA on BigFooty, then they made their own forum.
Yeah most of the good stuff is gone. I too missed the doxxing incident, but yeah, shit is always bubbling just below the surface. It's a shame, cos people who haven't been following closely won't understand just how insane it was cos of the mass deletions, and won't understand why there was such a massive swing against Big Ant. Like I'm sure if you go right back to the start there would have been a lot of optimism. Without all the deleted posts it probably now reads as everyone just flipping suddenly for no reason.

I suspect Ross was asked to leave. Dude got away with way too much compared to the average pleb. Another highlight was when he would threaten people via PMs to try and get them to remove glitch videos. Just bizarre shit from a CEO.

I myself am currently serving a thread ban until the Xbox launch (whenever the fuck that is) for posting one too many old Ross quotes that ended up being outright lies. Apparently that's "inciting" ... Sigh.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Hell of a place cancel culture takes us to eh?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well August tomorrow and no word on the Xbox version. Not sure I'd bother though still based on the current state of it but these said it was a shipping delay back in May or whatever lol.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!