Rumour is Microsoft culled the physical division

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Rumour is Microsoft culled the physical division

Post by Froggy »

No, Starfield did move systems but it's likely not anymore or in the future. It is no COD etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

CoD isn't exclusive to Xbox either.

Is it even on Game Pass yet?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

It's not, but you could imagine if it were then it's bound to move more systems too.
Ambrose Burnside

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

Xbox community member Magg allegedly has insight into Xbox's plans for the future, revealing that Xbox is still planning to release a next-gen console.

The next-gen Xbox launch will reportedly include two SKUs: a traditional high-end console and a Switch-like dockable handheld.

Phil Spencer previously stated that the Xbox console is at the heart of everything they do and will be moving forward.
Rumours are out of control at the moment.

At the end of the day though if PS5 has PlayStation exclusives plus Bethesda/Activision/etc games, and the Xbox only has the latter, there's no point in owning an Xbox. I guess it'll still have Game Pass but that clearly hasn't been a decisive factor as it is. I thought Bethesda + Activision as proper exclusives would but Microsoft don't seem keen on pushing that (or aren't allowed to for anticompetitive reasons even though they're getting smashed to the extent they may just give up...).
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The idea of an XBox handheld as a fully-fledged SKU fills me with dread. I just know it's going to be a streaming-only device. I suppose they could release an "Xbox Surface" x86 Steamdeck competitor, but battery life is key in handhelds and that's just not there on any of the current crop of handheld PCs.

Whereas if they just took something in the form factor of the Ayn Odin 2, complete with a top-of-the-line ARM chip (eg Snapdragon X) and let devs target that hardware specifically, it'd be ace.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I imagine a streaming device would be much better on the battery?

These rumours sound more realistic than xbox exiting the hardware scene altogether.
Ambrose Burnside

I don't think they'll pull a Sega and pull out straight away, but if they port all their exclusives to PlayStation, then they're just delaying the inevitable.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Until it's Halo, Forza and Gears, I won't believe any of it.
Ambrose Burnside

Not long until what's his face gives us an update.

Hopefully we get concrete details.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote: 07 Feb 2024 04:33 pmI imagine a streaming device would be much better on the battery?
Sure, but I just spent a week on 4G/5G and I cannot comprehend streaming games over that kind of variable connection. Not to mention that game streaming is yet another "own nothing and be happy" solution to a made-up problem.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside

The problem is your sense of entitlement.

Owning the products you buy? The nerve.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I hope they go the steam machine route, they already have a platform with the most games on it(windows) why not leverage it? They just need to merge the xbox ui into windows and use that front end, but let people access windows if they need it. Exactly how steamdeck works, which has arch linux desktop there if you want it.

Make it open and provide some min spec guidelines for partners to target. I think that's the direction they need to go with hardware. We saw with the recent EU decision to force IPhone to allow other app stores, sooner or later consoles will be subject to similar rules due to digital stores only have 1 place to buy things.

The value is in subscription services, so they just need affordable decent spec boxes to fulfill their gamepass needs.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 07 Feb 2024 10:52 pm
Madmya wrote: 07 Feb 2024 04:33 pmI imagine a streaming device would be much better on the battery?
Sure, but I just spent a week on 4G/5G and I cannot comprehend streaming games over that kind of variable connection. Not to mention that game streaming is yet another "own nothing and be happy" solution to a made-up problem.
Nah, nor can I and I really don't want to see that happening. But like you, I worry that's where they're going.

If it works with low latency and data, sure. It just won't be like that.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

I have never been on the game pass train and, along wiht the awful reveal of the Xbone, game pass has put xbox in the position they are in now.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Gamepass is awesome.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

How much money do developers actually get from having a game available on Gamepass, though?
Ambrose Burnside

Xbox.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 10 Feb 2024 12:08 pm How much money do developers actually get from having a game available on Gamepass, though?
I'm unsure if this is aimed at me or just anyone to answer the question. From my perspective, who cares? It's a choice to have your game on gamepass. You'd do it for different reasons - money, exposure, compliance. There's no straightforward answer.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Game pass is great, I assume a bunch of games I'd have never have played have finished in full are getting some money they'd never have gotten.

There's a lot of great short story\adventure style games I've played that I'd never have paid for or bought amongst other games. If you have kids it's even better.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Absolutely. For me, Outer Wilds is a perfect example of that. Played it on Game Pass and fell in love with it. I've bought the game twice since then (Xbox and Switch for my son).
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Madmya wrote: 11 Feb 2024 09:42 amFrom my perspective, who cares?
But not two weeks ago you were up in arms about developers not getting a cut of second-hand games sales?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 11 Feb 2024 10:21 pm
Madmya wrote: 11 Feb 2024 09:42 amFrom my perspective, who cares?
But not two weeks ago you were up in arms about developers not getting a cut of second-hand games sales?
:roll:

I was wondering if this was the angle you were playing, which is why I tried to head it off by saying things like "choice" and listing a bunch of reasons as to why a developer would choose to put their game on Game Pass.

I can't believe I have to say it but this is still a pro-developer stance. I say "who cares?" because it's impossible to know the business decisions behind a developer putting a game on a subscription service, and it's not worth my time thinking about it.
Ambrose Burnside

With all the layoffs in developer land I am convinced the only people who thought the pandemic would go on forever are game studio bosses and GameHED types.

Hopefully all the exposure they get on Game Pass puts dinner on the table.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Interest rates are killing them, same with other businsses. During the pandemic capital was cheap if not basically "free", now the interest rates and inflation is pushing through every facet of every company that delivers anything. Costing them probably 18% more to keep the lights on and then the cost of creating a game against investor funds is now what 6x higher at least, something has to give.

There was also a mass scale up while capital was cheap and way more people were using computing services/products whilst stuck at home.

Anyway, we find out Friday 6:30am - 7am depending on where you are, or WA like 4:30am? I suspect we'll get a hybrid where they hand select some titles that they can't get more money out of across to other systems, non core games that used to be like the Xbox worlds moved on from SOT yonks ago.. hifi rush whilst it was OK not sure anyone cares etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah I'm expecting Starfield and HiFi Rush. My guess is Starfield has lost a lot of money, and it was already half-developed for Playstation. Seems a fairly easy decision to make.