Shadow of Colossus Appreciation Thread

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

This game keeps fading to white, which keeps making my TV lose its vertical hold (THANK YOU SHITTY JOYTECH SWITCH BOX) so I keep missing cut-scenes. Think I'm going to have to bypass the switch box to ensure I miss nothing on the ending.

Tried to go for another colossus last night, but couldn't find him, wtf?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I played through some more time attack last night after reading this thread heh, it was a bit weird seeing the text not being completely sharp after playing in 720p on the 360 so much, but even in 480p this game still rocks :up:
mech wrote:This game keeps fading to white, which keeps making my TV lose its vertical hold (THANK YOU SHITTY JOYTECH SWITCH BOX) so I keep missing cut-scenes.
What exactly happens when the screen is white? Does the picture roll like on an old TV with the vertical hold messed up? Or do you just completely lose picture?
mech

Post by mech »

Completely lose the picture.

I'm starting to wonder if this game would look better in PAL mode, 576i tends to look better on my CRT than 480p given its decent line doubler. However if it's rendered internally at 512x512 or even less (it certainly looks that way) it may not make much difference.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Does the screen stay white, or go black or? How long does the picture-outage usually last??
Can you give me an example of somewhere in Shadow of the Colossus that it normally happens? Or on a DVD or something I might be able to compare it to?

(sorry for all the Q's, but you've got me paranoid now and I want to check that mine doesn't also do this because I don't think I've ever noticed it...)
mech

Post by mech »

It flickers and then struggles to regain the picture, it's like I changed video modes or something. It lasts about 5-10 seconds.

Go look at any cut-scene where the screen fades to white (mostly after you've killed a boss). Fantastic 4 (the movie) makes my TV do this all the time too.

However, what kind of TV do you have? Mine's a CRT which is almost certainly why it's doing it.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Hmm I see.. mines an LCD, one of those AWA 94cm Big W ones.
Mind you whilst that was getting it's VGA port fixed up I was using my old 68cm Hitachi Flat CRT but I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary there either.. :?

Anyway, I'll definitely have a close look tonight and see if I can pick anything out.
mech

Post by mech »

Mmmmm if you're not seeing any problems then just don't worry about it :)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Yeah true, but it seems weird that most of the other issues that have been experienced seem to have been common across the units (the ghosting, the occasional interference) so I just hope that it's actually not happening, as opposed to me not noticing and missing stuff without realising.. :-/

cheers for explaining it a bit more. with any luck it's the former and not actually happening! :)
Beer Belly
The Sweetest banana in the bunch
XBL ID: BeerBelly 360
PSN ID: BeerBellyAU
Steam ID: kigurai

Post by Beer Belly »

SOTC soundtrack GET!

42 tracks...including the battle music (track #8).

BELIEVE THE HYPE!!

Oh yeah check out the technology involved in making the game:

http://www.dyingduck.com/sotc/making_of_sotc.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

I posted in this the other day but my post was lost - finished this on the w/e. Goddamn the last boss battle was hard, took me like two hours.
Beer Belly
The Sweetest banana in the bunch
XBL ID: BeerBelly 360
PSN ID: BeerBellyAU
Steam ID: kigurai

Post by Beer Belly »