Retarded controllers over the years.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Retarded controllers over the years.

Post by mech »

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.off" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... Id=3152010

Just a reminder that Nintendo and others have been innovating well before the Wii :wink:

This bit particularly hit home when thinking about the Wii in comparison to these old controllers:
In fact, much like R.O.B. or the Roll & Rocker, all they did was make games harder to play. Mario's not hard to get the hang of the regular way, but when you were waving your hands around in the air, hoping in vain that whatever cheapo assortment of plastic motion sensors that you got for Christmas would pick up your body movements, the result you usually got was something short of total mind-candy immersion. It was closer to "endless game overs."
mech

Post by mech »

Hahahaha, and this bit reminded me of talking into your DS:
Another unfortunate result of the total-immersion boondoggle was the Konami LaserScope. This was a head-mounted lightgun. Why, all you had to do was point your forehead in the general direction you wanted your bullet to go, then yell "FIRE!" into the microphone in lieu of pulling the trigger. This caused you to look, sound, and play Nintendo like a jackass: the hat trick of poor user interface design.
OBJECTION!!!
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

:D
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

does anyone else have probs viewing 1up?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Youre on fire today, mech :D

Objection - I havent said that yet, I just use the menu screen. The touchscreen is a great implementation though, although not for everything.

If the Wii controller implementation fails, get the PS3 gyros/whatever, put them in a 360 pad and you have the ultimate controller.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:does anyone else have probs viewing 1up?
yeah 1up is shit. You get errors all the time. Just keep refreshing... The sad thing is, they are aware of the issues, yet do nothing to resolve them :(
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Innovation be damned, the No Shock Wiimote 360 will be a fantastic controller :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

a few of us were talking about rumble in COD2 the other night, it's so important in that game... you get a good jolt when firing your weapon but there's also a thudding feedback when you are hit.

rumble adds so much to todays games.
mech

Post by mech »

yeah rumble is awesome.

Man, I hate going back to my PS2 controller after getting used to the 360 controller. My housemate picked up the controller the other day and tried to sit back down but it didn't reach - "WIRES?!?!"

360 controller FTW!!!

If the PS3 controller had rumble it'd have to be up there among the best (although it'd just be a 360 controller with tilt functionality, but hey).
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

In the comfort of my own home I once or twice yelled OBJECTION just because I could, and in the later levels when you are really getting into the game I saw nothing wrong with what I did :D

You need to give PW another chance Mech, COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE, YOU CANT HATE FOREVER!

Edit - While I'm all for the 360 pad hype train going on in this thread, are you all forgetting the abomination the D-Pad has become?

I think MS need to do a redesign of the 360 pad with the next gen immersion rumble tech + a new d-pad, then we will have the ultimate pad.
Last edited by Sonic Jam on 12 Jul 2006 02:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

they should swap the d-pad and left stick around though.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Innovation be damned, the No Shock Wiimote 360 will be a fantastic controller :up:
Except when you want to play a 2D fighter.

I hate that stupid fucking d-pad with a passion.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

The DS2 D-Pad only shreds your thumb, atleast you can still do the movies Talez.

I'd take that any day over the frustration the 360 d-pad gives me in DOA.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I don't think I've ever liked a dpad for fighters, even the aclaimed saturn dpad just wasn't good enough for me. Could explain why i own about 10 hundred arcade sticks at home.

The 360 dpad face is perfect, they just need to fix the contacts or the seat of it, so it's more responsive and doesn't kinda get stuck like it does.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

People still play 2D fighters? :redface:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Every console manufacturer should immediately license the Saturn d-pad from Sega to rescue us from this d-pad hell.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:People still play 2D fighters? :redface:
Get out.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:People still play 2D fighters? :redface:
3D fighters are finally not played on a 2D plane? :redface:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah the D-pad for the 360 is nice, but the response is horrible. It seems as if it isn't centered correctly or something. Left... left... I SAID FRIGGING LEFT!!! ARRRGHHH!!!!
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

The main drawcard of 3D fighters over 2D for me has always been the number of moves and the resultant depth of gameplay. It certainly wasn't the graphics, as the early 3D games looked like shit compared to the 2D stuff. Moving around a 3D model is just much more efficient than paying some guy to draw 10000 sprites (or just rip them from a ten year old game, as often seems to be the case). I don't feel there's any obligation to give the player(s) full 3D movement, though there are games that do.

I've tried so many times, but I still don't "get" 2D fighters. Hadoken, jump, hadoken, string a bunch of your boring standard moves together and call it a combo... They're just not for me. Fanboys feel free to educate me.

Back OT, I still think the N64 controller is one of the more retarded things to have happened, particularly given how popular the system was. If it were two pronged instead of three, you could access more buttons. At the very least, the dpad and analogue stick should have been around the other way so you were holding the pad symmetrically for the 99% of games that used the stick. The only argument I can think of in its defense is the pistol grip works well with the trigger, but that still could have been implemented in a "normal" controller shape.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Oh dont get me started, i could write a fuckign thesis on the n64 controller and how it pin-holed the system into the position it was in. As a snes kid i was just fucking sick of waiting for a console with no street fighter.

In theory I agree with your preference for 3d fighters, if every game were like virtua fighter and actually did have a deep repotiore of moves(and what they counter) that can only be accessed through practise. Unfortunately most 3d games remind me of tekken(moves happening virtually 'randomly';no control) or soul calibur(so little variation its all just back and fourth;ching, ching, ching left, then ching, ching, ching right).

On dpads, the DC one is highly underated. As long as it was a fighter with only 4 buttons so you didnt have to rape your triggers it was awesome. Raised off the contorller a bit it allowed you to tilt it alot and things like qcf,hcb I found more achievable than any other Dpad. The dual shock is ok, i played SF alpha 2 heaps with it. But my gawd what a spongy, badly textured, 4-way-split, piece of shit....it did the job, but not without a cost.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, I thought the DC Dpad was pretty good too - I fucking hatehatehated the SNES and PSX/PS2/PS3 ones
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I quite liked the Dreamcast d-pad too, though I played so much GGX with it when I first got GGX that I blistered my thumb from rolling moves :(
PSX/2/3 d-pad I don't really mind too much but I fucking hate the controllers, they are so awkward to hold and feel like they are made for people with tiny hands.
Probably the best dpad I've used in recent times though (ds lite & gbmicro aside(dslite is best though)) is on the hori gamecube digital pad, basically the gamecube snes pad. I'm not sure how similar the dpad was to the actual snes pad as it's been ages since I've played one but it worked great.
The 360 one shits me just because it can be so unresponsive, if that wasn't the case it would probably be up there. (I use the analogue for DOA though so Hexic aside I'm not too fazed)
They need to make a controller that has a DSLite dpad but bigger though, that would be awesome.
Pat

Post by Pat »

360 dpad is fucking hopeless. It's the reason I wont be getting SF2 on Arcade.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

BOOMY wrote:Oh dont get me started, i could write a fuckign thesis on the n64 controller and how it pin-holed the system into the position it was in.
go on then, do gamehed proud!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard