LTTP: OOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUEEEEEENNNNNNNNDDDDDDAAAAAANNNNN

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

LTTP: OOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUEEEEEENNNNNNNNDDDDDDAAAAAANNNNN

Post by Sonic Jam »

I started playing this game about 3 days ago, and I can't beleive I ever ignored it for all this time... It is GODLY.

Unlike the massive pimping I gave Phoenix Wright, this pimping is based off love for the actual gameplay instead of my love for a niche genre (adventure), Ouendan is just perfect in the way it is executed, crazy little skits with crazy music combined with the smartest use of a touch screen I have seen yet.

It starts out slow enough for anyone to give it a shot but fast enough that you feel you're accomplishing something, then over 3-4 songs they will double or tripple the speed, add in new ellements for you to control beyond just tapping things at the right time when they appear on screen (moving object you have to follow with the stylus, a big wheel you have to spin by drawing circles really fast, 2-3 taps in the same spot often times to different beats), and as you progress things only get more hectic, more complicated, and more fun!

I don't really know how to properly explain or pimp this game except to say it has quickly become my favourite DS game, the replayability of the game is incredible and the actual game itself is highly addictive.. Sure I can't understand the words to what is going on with these crazy japanese cut scenes but you get the general intention of when a guy riding a bick starts fighting a giant mouse who is attacking the city.

My ONLY complaint is the music can sound very compressed, as with pretty much all DS music.. However after you get into the groove of the game you will not notice this, all you will care about is the beat/speed/what's happening on screen.

If you like music puzzle games (No idea what to call it really) you will love Ouendan, if you don't like the genre I still reckon there's a good chance you could enjoy this game because it's very high quality.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

are you listeing through the DS speakers or headphones? The DS speakers are shit and make everything sound terrible.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Headphones, I would never dream of playing a music game like Lumines or Ouendan through speakers.

DS just has shit sound capabilities heh, but the quality of the actual sounds doesn't change how awesome the music is... Just takes some getting used to after playing so much lumines on my PSP with its amazing sound quality.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

best handheld game i've played.

it gets so hard but not in a bad way, it tests your skillz without cheating.

I need rest after one or 2 stages, it sends my heart rate through the roof!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I got it a couple of weeks back and I'm still loving it :up:

I absolutely adore the final difficulty, at first it busts your arse and you'll think that it's just being a bitch for the sake of it, small beats to hit and across opposite sides of the screen. However once you get into it, it just flows so well and is soo much fun.

Lately I've been trying to get all S-ranks on the final difficulty and I've only got about 3-4 so far (I'm still trying to work out the pre-requisites for it too, I thought it was as many 300pts as you could muster and X amount of 100pts depending on the song, but I've received s-rank on some stages with a 50pts in the mix...) but it's just so much fun going through them all irrespective of whether or not you land the s-rank!

At the moment though I really want to nail a perfect & s-rank on the final stage before I seriously start trying to get any more on other stages. I'm so close too, I think my best record was 1 miss 0 50pts, around 15 100pts and the rest 300pts... I'm certain that if I had landed that miss though it would have been s-rank baby.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

You are lightyears ahead of me Ben.

I doubt I will ever get to that stage with this game, I'm just not good with a stylus and I get handcramps if I go too fast.

But that's the great thing about this game, you can enjoy it at all skill levels :)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

haha, you'll find your skill level will also ramp up with the difficulty pretty quickly if you keep slugging at it.

I was getting my arse handed to me initially because I accidentally selected the 2nd difficulty outright (because it was the cheer squad leader from the box and all the promo etc) and yeah, a couple of stages in I started to feel the pinch and didn't think I'd ever get the hang of it.. but I went back to the easiest difficulty and just kept working through and it all progressed very nicely :up:

Even if you don't get through all the difficulties though, just playing through all the stories is so satisfying, and hilarious enough. Just about every one of the stories had me laughing out loud whilst playing it on my lunch breaks at work.
I accidentally came back late a couple of times too, just because it has that awesome "one more try" feel to it. A friend of mine can easily attest to that aswell.

I took my DSLite and Ouendan around to his place a over the weekend to give him a looksee at the Lite, and I was happily playing something else whilst he played and I was just listening to him pissing himself and attempting to hand it back every couple of minutes only to be followed by "ahh just one more try then I'll definitely give it back". :lol:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I never bothered with the easiest difficulty, it's sooo slow and boring!
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:I never bothered with the easiest difficulty, it's sooo slow and boring!
Bastard :D

I just couldn't get the hang of it at the start though, and yeah slinked back to the easiest difficulty until I had it all down pat.
I think you need to beat it to unlock the harder difficulties anyway though?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

nah I unlocked cheerleader mode without touching it
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ah.. maybe I imagined that being a pre-requisite then. Ohwell.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Fuck you guys and your amazing skills.

I am the uber shit stylus user :(
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

like ben said, you'll get better.
knowing the songs inside out helps heaps too
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I just discovered I have been playing on the harder difficulty out of the two you get at the start..

I have been stuck on the final level all day aswell.

What you guys say makes alot more sense now, I was thinking if this was the easiest difficulty then I was a very incapable player but now I think I'm doing ok :P

Great, GREAT game.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I hate this game. Maybe I'm playing on the wrong difficulty level.
mech

Post by mech »

Why does every DS game make you wait through so much shit before you can play?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Nintendo fans are used to waiting for things.

OH MAN ANOTHER TWELVE MONTSH FOR ZELDA WHAT WILL I DO!??! MAYBE NINTENDO WILL RE-RELEASE AN OLD GAME FOR ME TO BUY FOR THE EIGHTH TIME UNTIL THEN??
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:Why does every DS game make you wait through so much shit before you can play?
Give an example?
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

mech wrote:Why does every DS game make you wait through so much shit before you can play?
mech

Post by mech »

There is something seriously wrong with the PSP in that video. No way in hell mine takes that long to load.

Pat: Phoenix Wright is another that shat me to tears. Wario Ware as well. FUCK OFF WITH YOUR BORING, UGLY, SHITTY, SLOW, BADLY ANIMATED 2D CUT-SCENES THAT I CAN'T SKIP AND LET ME PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME.

Or at the very least, let me read things as fast as I normally can (looking at YOU phoenix wright).

I want my PSP back, DS sucks.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

It's supposed to be how stupidly long WWE takes to load compared to other games but its just damn embarassing to watch how long both they take to load.
Last edited by Talez on 14 Jul 2006 01:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

I found the lowest difficulty level the hardest - I kept screwing it up. I'm up to the last level of the difficulty one up from normal, but haven't bothered playing it for a month or two.
mech

Post by mech »

Talez wrote:
It's supposed to be how stupidly long WWE takes to load compared to other games but its just damn embarassing to watch how long both they take to load.
What's wrong with the load times on gripshift? Only obnoxious thing I saw there was the long trail of developer/publisher/whatever names at the start, another one of my pet hates. But it took less than 10 seconds to load the game from what I saw...?

PSP has over 8 times the memory of the DS, and something like 25x the space, so I'm willing to forgive it for a few loading screens - it's avoidable waiting times (again and again and again) that irritate the hell out of me.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Smackdown V Raw has always had horrible load times. The PSP version is by far the worst, that video is hilarious :laugh:

Also I need to get Gripshift.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Mech you can skip the animated cut scenes (Though I like them) by clicking the icon in the bottom right corner.

Then you only have to wait about ~6 seconds for the song to ramp up and stuff to start appearing on screen.