Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

wtf? I just booted Ouendan then, you can skip all the screens at the start and you can skip the story. I am confused.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I just booted it too...so you can. and it still takes 5 years after you've pressed skip to actuallly start and the half way scenes cant be skipped. Perhaps that is what jaded my memory bout it.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

but that is part of the game, why would you skip that stuff? I think now you are just being pedantic.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

nah some of it is just shit that gets in the way. I really agree with mech on this one that you get the feeling of 'oh fucking come on and hurry up' when stuck on a level. I really agree with selfish that playing a PSP is like that too :P
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

I the reason you can't skip some of the inbetween stuff is that it's synched with the music... if you skipped the cutscenes in the middle, then the music would have to be disrupted too.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Okay I see what you mean... when you hit level 14 and you have to watch that starting bit again... omg that is long. But yeah it is synched to the music so skipping that would have to skip part of the music and further disrupt the flow of the game.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

someone important
“The whole notion of cut-scenes smacks to me of commercial breaks on TV. They are pointless and usually done very badly.

“It all started when we began talking to Hollywood about interactive story-telling and multiple endings. You'd play a bit and then watch a lot. The trouble is the watching part was no fun. I'd spend my time with my finger hovering over the button desperate to skip forward.

“Quite often this is the work of frustrated movie directors who spend more time on the cut scenes than on the game mechanics.

“But we've seen with games like Half Life 2 that telling the story can be woven into the gameplay and there is no need to put the controller down. We are in the business of interactive entertainment so if there is no interaction, the designers aren't trying hard enough.

“What is the point of these scenes if players are using them to go make a cup of coffee or are just skipping forward?

“I agree that there have been some very beautiful cut scenes but even the best leave you frustrated. The worst is when you have just won a big battle and have been rewarded but you can't try out the reward until you've sat through three minutes of story. It's maddening.”
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:because of the ker-azy stories? i don't see what that has to do with anything. i thought this was to do with loading times? do you know of the "skip" function? i can't remember but i'm pretty sure ouendan has it.

what the hell are you talking about?
omg selfish, you stupid fuck, read the thread before you post.
BOOMY wrote:
But PSP would not work well with carts. Most games are at least half a gig. You could probably get them down with some work, but they'd still be massive, and it's like saying the PS2, Gamecube or Xbox should have used carts.

Oh and Boomy, if a PSP game had crazy loading times, I'd be whinging about it, but all the titles I own are fine. The only real offender is GTA, and once it's loaded it's fine, and you tend to play it for long periods (sleeping the PSP in between sessions) so it's not too bad.

And like I said originally, it's a necessary evil, whereas the Nintendo shit is completely avoidable.
Dont think anyone is debating that or saying any of that. Once again I were the drunk one, but you were the idiot. All I said was a well programmed DS game would over come the problems of a cart, just like you say the same can be done with PSP and discs.

You prefer 'slight' loading while others prefer 'slight' memory limitations. Jeez why dont you be a self righteous motherfucker and start ramming your side down our throats for a page. Some people dont like loading they are entitled to. But no one here...this is now just you and selfish talking shit with no point. Mech's last post had no point(ouendan doesn't have skip, we agreed on it taking too long) - selfish's was false(ouendan doesn't have skip, we agreed on it taking too long)

STFU both you fools.
I'm not ramming shit down anyone's throat, I'm just saying that I can cope better with loading time's on the PSP because they're a necessary evil, but unskippable cut-scenes for no good reason irritate the fuck out of me (REGARDLESS of platform, I've just seen it a LOT on DS). At no point am I trying to say PSP is "better" than the DS because of its memory dude, way to fire up about nothing. People are more than welcome to hate loading, but minor loading screens (like 5 seconds) are not a big deal at all.

BTW, self righteous? I complain about a thing common to many DS games and I get you guys all over me like a rash, and now you're trying to say I'm trying to ram my opinion down other people's throats? :down:

Amazing how many times you guys post about shit that's been covered in this thread already. It makes for very painful arguments. Like the whole skip thing.. jesus...
BOOMY wrote:nah some of it is just shit that gets in the way. I really agree with mech on this one that you get the feeling of 'oh fucking come on and hurry up' when stuck on a level. I really agree with selfish that playing a PSP is like that too :P
EXACTLY. When the intro is longer than the time you're actually getting in the game it's INCREDIBLY frustrating.

You guys are having a go at me for "defending" load times (which I'm just saying are somewhat necessary by the nature of the PSP), meanwhile I'm getting everyone jumping in and defending unskippable boring shit that detracts from the games on DS AND IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Dont lump me in with these bees and put words in my mouth. Thats the explanation for the self righteous throat ramming comment. It wasn't like saying anything should've had carts. It was like saying they both have their pros and cons and the lot of you have posted a bunch of unecasary bullshit. btw there is a very tiny minority of DS games with no skipping, but you're right there are a few out there.

Putting an end to this madness I reckon a fast forward option would rock the casbah.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

lol @ "time's"
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPEN TO THIS THREAD.

I will counter a few points:

Talez: I won't get my hand off it as you say because my intention wasn't to show Mech that he was WRONG[/luthor] and argue with him, I want people to PLAY OUENDAN, that's the whole point of this thread.. I figuired I could help him with the problems he was having.

Mech/Boomy: Which exact parts are you angry about not skipping? I'll admit sometimes the leadin to a song is too long (usualy only 5-10 seconds, which gives me time to get ready and it builds up the start of the song) but I've never thought the mid level cut scenes where a problem (I look forward to them to give me a quick break, the game is very fast/hard where I am at). Basically I'm wondering which of these you have the most hatred for and why.

I think as the game progresses they become even more of a non issue because you can't play the game for long periods of time aswell..

About loading: PSP is a more advanced system, simple as that. In most cases the loading times are a non issue unless it's some shitty EA quality game where the dev simply doesn't understand a handheld system and how they should design games... Sadly this happens alot with shitty devs who have little handheld experience and wanna make PSP games because it's easy to make a version of their current gen series for the platform thanks to its power.

I don't condone what they do, I don't buy their games, they are definitely the minority, and carts would never work for a system like the PSP.

DS is a completely different system with different goals and the hardware just does not need optical media, and if you think you don't suffer a different evil for this design you are a fking moron, a huge example is the very game this thread is about - Ouendans music is horribly compressed.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Niehter of those things in particular shit me its just in general:
you get the feeling of 'oh fucking come on and hurry up'
And yes I am just impatient but its still a small issue. I feel it every time I play, not that it gets in the way of the fun. It's also good to note Otaku can shit me off with their fanobyism.
BAHAHAHA IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE. GENIUS! :wanker:
The gameplay is 100% intact, but the game is way over hyped.

And yea like I said, different evil different good.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I've got no fanboyism or overhyped stuff going for this thread, I just think it's a really brilliant game is all, really interesting use of the stylus to implement a music rythym game and I'm sure many many others will copy this style over time.

I only get the oh fucking come on and hurry up vibe with this game when restarting songs if they have an unusualy long lead-in, like the final song shits me.

I think overhyped is the wrong word for this game though, it pretty clearly lives up to all the hype of having the following things:

Good music
Great use of the stylus
mixing these two things together to make a great music rythym game.

And that's all I ever really wanted from it. It also gets better as it gets faster imo so the more I play it the more I am enjoying it.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

it's obviously not for everyone.
but it's easily my fav handheld game.

beats the shit out of popular rubbish like mario kart.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

I have big love for this game :)

Its quirky (in spades!), music based and fun for short gaming sessions - The perfect combination for a great handheld game :)

Elite Beat Agents is the westernised version of this game, not sure if it will have new music/storyline...

Unrelated : Phoenix Wright sequel out before the end of the year!