Real Chromehounds thread (use other thread for stupidity)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Real Chromehounds thread (use other thread for stupidity)

Post by pilonv1 »

There is a STUPID amount of customisation in this game, and even after just an hour or so playing the game and buying a few parts I've got a huge amount of options. There's six classes (Soldier, Defender, Commander, Sniper, Heavy and Scout) and you can combine parts from each class to make your own super Gundam style beast.

But then your squad comes into play - do you take something like land mine detection? Or sacrifice mobility for some fucking huge rocket launcher? Maybe pack on the armour for taking some damage? The possibilities are pretty much endless.

I put this massive rocket launcher on the side of my hound, took it for a test drive and it recoiled about 90 degrees, sending my camera all over the place :lol:

The only drawback is that you're not given a lot of assistance - the first hound I created was too heavy and it would just say "you are not prepared yet, check your settings". This was after I thought I'd lost my "free" hound but I still had all the parts for it and I just needed to build it.

For the Forza fanboys there seems to be a similar level of decal making, and you can even make your own, plus your own Squad emblems.

I cannot wait to take this online, it's a Mechwarrior fans wet dream. BUY THIS GAME NOW :up: :up: :up: :up:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Pilon,I have learnt over the years to ignore yours and Pats blatherings.

You have very bad Judgement and yet because of you I'm drawn now to buy this game like no other in recent months.

I shall try to hold off for a few more days...enough for the game to clearly show as the monumental failure I expect you to pimp or for it to rise glorious from your usual madness to rate highly among the games Cowboys Mostly Play.

Pat preyed for us and failed...perhaps your hounding will win out this time.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

3 words
kiss of death
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

3 Words

I know but...
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

Other gaming forums are going apeshit over this game. Apparently the gfx are 'incredible' at night time. Care to comment on this aspect of the game, pilon?

I played the demo and it felt broken. Couldnt see a targetting reticule and i just kind of stomped around a bit..

Is this game more like Steel Batallion (sim) or Mech Warrior (Find enemy, shoot, strafe, repeat to fade...)?
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

I tried to build myself a basic sniper hound last night - nothing flash, just trying to figure out how it all works. It ended up looking kick arse even though it's pretty basic. 2 x sniper canon type things, 3 x sniper rifle whatsits, and 2 x machine guns. I put a heat sink on it's head and a generator on the back. In the trial area it seemed very mobile and did the job, though it's probably a bit light on armour.

Yeah, the scope for customisation is impressive. I wish they'd give you a little more help on what everything does, but I guess you probably get accustomed to it the more you play.

pubba - I wouldn't ever call the graphics in this game incredible, but they are reasonable and the mechs themselves look awesome. I did a night time mission last night too and it was kinda fun - couldn't see much until the commander shot up flares, and the ensuing fire fight looked real purdy from a distance.

For what it's worth - so far I'm very impressed with this game. It has a great emphasis on role types, tactics, and working as part of a team. There's huge scope for customisation and all the online stuff looks great. But...if you expect to hoon around UT style then forget it. Some mechs can move reasonably well, but others (depending on the role type) can be slow and plodding. Get shot up and you'll be even slower and plodderer. That's part of the game - a lightly armoured scout can move pretty well, but it would make no sense if the massive artillery laden thing could cross the map in 2 seconds flat.
Last edited by Twit on 19 Jul 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I dunno why everyone hated on the demo to be honest. Yeah, it didn't look real flash, and it did move kindof slow, but I actually enjoyed it a lot, and the online appears to have some real potential.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

man... the more people talk about this the more I want it. Is it region free?
Pat

Post by Pat »

I'll have it tonight. Which means if pilon AND myself are pimping the game, nothing can go wrong. :up:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Twit wrote:I tried to build myself a basic sniper hound last night - nothing flash, just trying to figure out how it all works. It ended up looking kick arse even though it's pretty basic. 2 x sniper canon type things, 3 x sniper rifle whatsits, and 2 x machine guns. I put a heat sink on it's head and a generator on the back. In the trial area it seemed very mobile and did the job, though it's probably a bit light on armour.
My defensive hound was pretty basic too - 2x shotguns, 2xsmall rocket launcher and 1x some missile launcher. Took it out in battle and I copped a barrage of attacks, yet still survived :D Only thing I was missing was my map :(

Twit is right though - this is not fast paced action. It's a team based mech game, where having hounds that compliment each other helps out more than everyone loading up with rockets and trying to blow shit up.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Muahahahahaha EB 7 day rental + vip card FTW!! :llama:

Just returned my copy of prey and picked up Chromehounds.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Got it just then. Lets do some clan matches tonight ok.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Of alllll the 360 games I've seen on shelves, written about and mulled over it's this game, Chromehounds, that has me pondering just how long I can run alongside the 360 wagon before jumping on.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

do it!
it's just a matter of time, every day you wait is a day wasted :)
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

The asia region version is region free so you can pick it up from play-asia for about $60 ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154332.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Software's Chromehounds is off to a bumpy start. After being bogged down with server issues around the game's US launch, some users are now reporting that the game is frequently locking up on them.

On publisher Sega's official Chromehounds technical support message boards, the complaints about the game vary from case to case. Some have problems with the game locking up in the single-player levels, the online lobby, or the menu screen; there are even a few saying their systems not only crashed when they tried to play Chromehounds, but that they also haven't been able to play any Xbox 360 games since.

Inquiries to Sega about the matter went unreturned as of press time, but a Chromehounds message board administrator did respond to a user's complaint yesterday, saying the company is investigating the freezing issue, but has been having trouble replicating the problem.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I reckon this game has amazing potential on live, the realtime war, where you participate in the outcome of the war by entering your squad into battles is a cool concept. I reckon we're gonna have a lot of fun with it.

candy sounds like possibly the game might be using certain functions or stressing certain components more than usual and early 360s are bombing out because of it. I've seen it many times before in pc games, where certain video cards function fine for 95% of games but there is a new game that cause it to corrupt/lock up because its using certain features/logic on the chip that are sensitive to clock speed/heat, or create more heat which leads to gpu lock ups. hopefully no one here has any issues.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

pubba wrote:The asia region version is region free so you can pick it up from play-asia for about $60 ;)
I lurv you play-asia!!!! :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

i couldn' see the asia region version available yet, but while looking i noticed on lik-sang they have motogp asia region version for $35us with free shipping. get!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Here's an apparently realtime map of Neroimus:
http://www.sega.com/gamesite/chromehoun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rboard.php

Before the recent reset our nation of Sal Kar was nearly decimated. Now it seems to be stomping all over the place. My only contribution to this glorious effort so far was to vote in the election and to raise a tiny amount of cash for myself in a rookie single mission thing.

Note also that there are some new parts and a colour pattern for free download in the marketplace. See here for details:
http://boards.sega.com/chromehounds/viewtopic.php?t=778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit - I just checked and that map looks pretty accurate. Unfortunately we've begun to pull out of a couple regions though...
Last edited by Twit on 20 Jul 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Realtime war campaign FTW!!!

It's gonna be awesome once we all get settled and enter some squad matches. I'll be online tonight.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Anyone know where I can purchase an asian version? I love the sound of this game.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'll be online tonight too around 9pm. We should have a few matches v. the AI first then try to own some fools :D
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I should be right for a game or two tonight. If it's possible to go up against some AI first as a squad that would be good.

I guess we'll need a command person too...
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

By the sounds of things you don't need one, but it helps in the larger games.