Real Chromehounds thread (use other thread for stupidity)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

thanks for the advice guys, i noticed last night that there were several occasions where i was up close and personal with some of the enemy. There is close range spear melee weapon which does 2.5k damage per hit. That might be a nice option too blitzkrieg the enemy and ram it right up em. :D
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I tried that last night and it didn't seem to do a helluva lot, but it's hard to tell.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

The pile (spike thing) is certainly deadly if you can get right up to someone. Good for use against bases too. Doesn't weigh much so you could maybe have a couple, but it's extremely slow to reload and obviously pointless if you're not right next to something. If you're planning to get that close then some extra armour probably wouldn't go astray.

Jizz - there are several different types of sniper rifle. The biggest one has great range and power but is slow to reload and doesn't have much ammo. The smallest one still has pretty good range and power and is reasonably quick to reload and has a fair amount of ammo. Maybe you could drop back the type of sniper rifle you use a peg or two to get more ammo and faster reload. You might even be able to have a group of 3 instead of 2, which would end up just as (if not more) powerful. Sal Kar usually have some lighter versions of weapons in the shop too, though they often sacrifice ammo for weight. You could also think about complimenting your main sniper weapons with assault rifles - some of them also have good range and they'll carry more ammo.

To get lighter and quicker, maybe have a look at the legs available at the shop. You could also potentially save some weight by using a different cockpit and a smaller generator. The chips (whatever they're called) that you install can effect turning and movement, so if you're using a level 1 chip you could potentially buy a better one. Tracking will always be slower though when you're zoomed right in with a sniper rifle. Quick moving enemies can be a pain at long range.

You can spend ages in the garage trying to find that perfect setup. There's always trade offs - speed vs. armour, weapons power vs. utility, etc. Part of the fun. I've redesigned my basic 2 mechs over and over again, and eventually keep going back to a similar setup. They're still not quite what I'd like them to be, but you can't have everything (hence the different role types). And the only way you really find out is by going into a proper bwattle.

Fuck - how's that for a ramble?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'm gonna sit in the garage for a few hours later, i'm going to make some awesome hounds.

thanks for the tips, I have so much money, i'm going on a shopping spree
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

Someone jump in and give me a squad invite! :)
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

who'll be on tonight?
i'll jump on late after the footy, might have a few early games if I see someone else on
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I might be on at various times here 'n there. I wanna do some stuffing around in the garage too...

Edit - I just realised that you can go into Squad History and see what everyone has been up to recently. It shows recent deployments, who was on 'em, and the result. Funky.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I noticed yesterday that I had some Chromehounds people in my recently seen list on the guide. I didn't recognise any of the names. Does anyone remember once or twice seeing a little box down the bottom right corner of the screen when we were about to launch, saying something about waiting for the enemy? Turns out we've already played against real people.

It's something to keep an eye out for because obviously playing against humans is a bit different. It happened to Jizz and I in a game last night - we had to wait while the other squad got their shit together, and then it seems one of their squad members must have lost their connection or something. Their remaining mech still gave us plenty of worries, but we killed him in the end for great justice.

I'm guessing we'll see more of this as we progress in rank. We've only been playing Rookie difficulty level (because we are all rookies). This excludes any other squads above that level from joining us. As our rank increases we'll probably find not only the CPU difficulty increasing, but we'll come across real (and probably better skilled and organised) squads more often as well. I'm guessing the rewards might go up too - with more money and occupation points maybe.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

They really need to add a patch like in pgr, where you can see peoples names above their mechs. It's too hard trying to figure out who is who and yeah twit like you said it's hard to know if you've been playing against a human or bot because of that.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

I think they don't make it easy deliberately to keep the whole realism thing going. Otherwise they could've just added colours to the radar. It's why the Commander RT is important with 3 or more players, and why people make squad colours and emblems to help distinguish each other (and do things like flicking their headlights on and off).

I'm not sure about us having squad colours because some of you have chosen some truly...um, unique combinations. If we could get something distinctive that also looked good it would be nice.

Jizz recently put the Sal Kari flag and our logo on his armour. That (and his bright green polka dots) certainly made it easy to pick him out at a distance. I've been thinking of doing the same on my mech with armour, but that wouldn't help with the lighter scout types that don't have armour and there isn't a big enough surface to put such things.

We should know when we're playing vs. humans in the future because the mission briefing thing works differently - it's just that we didn't notice it the first couple times.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

who's playing tonight?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Twit wrote:I didn't recognise any of the names. Does anyone remember once or twice seeing a little box down the bottom right corner of the screen when we were about to launch, saying something about waiting for the enemy? Turns out we've already played against real people.
As I said that first night - there were two games where a hound ended up at our base. The first one I destroyed as we circle strafed each other 8). The second was one of those superfast scouts who just ran past and tried capturing COMBAS towers.

From the games we've had so far I think it's pretty easy to tell when you're playing humans - the CPU doesn't seem to push forward very much.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

FARK!!!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

that's it, time for me to get busy.
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

FUCK YEA!!!!!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

That looks freaky.

I was just on earlier having a quick bash, trying out a couple things. I'll probably jump on again later tonight for a little bit and join ya if you're around (I am truly addicted to this thing).
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'll be on in half hour or so
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Sal Kar is all but gone again. Yeah, they need to do something about this. Their last maintenance period included a fix for "balancing battlefield endurance properties", but I've no idea what that actually means. They should certainly be aware of this issue, as it seems to get mentioned often in the forums. For example:
Well it seems the Tarakia folks have all but guaranteed another Morskovian win. You guys just shot yourself in the foot.

Us Sal Kar guys can't do too much as a 4:1 underdog, but why would Tarakia keep pushing for our capitol when Saint Yves is about to fall? How stupid. Tarakia should have protected its flank and let us alone (for now).
Dumb yanks. Also:
Its the same thing every way. Tarakia and Morskoj push for Sal Kar. Morskoj gets there first and while Tarakia is trying to take Sal Kar FROM Morskoj, Morskoj takes Yves and the harbor with little effort.

Stop complaining that Morskoj is unbalanced - it's just Tarakia that's stupid. Every. Single. Time
I like playing as the underdogs and still would rather stick it out than jump to one of the other nations, but something needs to be done to balance this thing a bit so were aren't constantly wiped out so quickly. It not only reduces the areas we can play in, it reduces our rewards and effectively closes down the shop, which is very annoying. And it's not like we've been losing it either - we're in there winning nearly every time, but there's just not enough of us to hold back the tide.

They either need some population weighting factor in determining occupation points, or they should offer incentives or something. Ah well, it will probably be reset again tomorrow and at least our immediate areas and the shop will be available again.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

I think you guys shoudl play abit under different regions. It unlokcs numerous upgrades, achievements and gives you good experience. If you want to be the underdogs, thats cool, but at least experience the others too.
By only being Sal Kar you really are limiting yourselves.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

that'll happen ags.
you also get achievements for sticking with one side for X amount of campaigns, I haven't even been with sal kar for 3 campaigns.

we'll change eventually so we can see the other maps.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

yeah we gotta change and get ags onboard too.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

We'll change after the next war. Who are you aligned with Agonny?

Just make sure you've bought all the gear from the shop before we change ;)
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Well, apologies for not saying farewell to you all or anything, but I didn't make it back to the lobby. Lots of server issues tonight. Clearly that's why we didn't do so well. That and the fact that we were fighting in those cities and the CPU is a gun with the howitzers and the shop isn't open so we can't buy anything...

A couple wins at the end though. Plus we scared off another squad. :)
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Dam i couldnt connect tonight :(
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

We had all sorts of weird issues tonight. I went through a whole thing with being in the lobby but not being able to see anyone - ended up leaving the squad then couldn't join again. We had people drop out, not being able to continue through screens, unrealistically losing when we should be kickin' arse...all sorts of issues.