Real Chromehounds thread (use other thread for stupidity)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

pilonv1 wrote:We'll change after the next war. Who are you aligned with Agonny?

Just make sure you've bought all the gear from the shop before we change ;)
Im with the Russian mob right now.. i'll see what i can buy... except money is quite scarce for me right now as im not in a squad at the moment.
Will be good to play with you fuckers again.
:up:
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

How the fuck do you beat those heavy arms hounds? That was a fucking joke.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

maybe we don't take them on toe to toe, maybe we need to race around a bit, maybe smoke grenades will help?
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I tried to run around and ended up with them still facing me and smashing me with splash damage.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

Running around should make it more difficult for them, because those things are hard to aim. But it doesn't. If you can get something between you and them and run away far enough they'll direct their attention elsewhere again (to your base) but then you have to go through the whole effort of closing with 'em again. May as well get it over and done with.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'm going to make hover scout next time, i'll put some gadgets on it... maybe it's powwible to speed to their base, smoke it up and drop those ball bombs on it, if there's a defender it might be possible to circle it to avoid being hit.

taking them on with a soldier is suicide
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

smoke might work, if they can hit the base through smoke they are bigger cheats than I thought.

they always know which base we deployed from too, fuck I hate that!
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The problem is that theres always 2-4 of them in the same area, so if you're avoiding one you're getting hit by the others.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

That one where they had 2 or 3 of 'em was a bit of a joke. They kill you so quickly with a direct hit, it makes things difficult.

I was experimenting earlier with a design where you put the generator on top of the cockpit, then one of those diagonal extenders, then armour covering the cockpit itself. Takes up some extra weight and space though, and it looks a little bit stupid. I need a better set of legs I think.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

yeah it's fucked when there's 3 on the same area, but i'm loving my smoke idea right now, I just remembered there's a thermal sensor... i'm thinking of putting up a smoke barrier (on the river for example) when I see them and shoot through it.

if we all use thermal sensors, we can get a scout to zip in and lay down a bunch of smoke, then soot through it.

if they can shoot us accurately through smoke it's the cheatiest game of all time.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Over at Ars I've heard them employing such a technique. They all have thermal sensors, which would probably be handy for those city levels anyway with the amount of dust 'n smoke around. A scout hoons around dropping smoke, and the commander hangs near the base doing the same. Everyone uses thermal to shoot through the smoke.

They were trying it against humans though with limited success. It would be interesting to see how that would work against the CPU.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

lets do it next time, i'm confident it'll work.

it'll feel good to complete missions like this, teamwork baby!
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Yeah why not - gotta try stuff. I need to spend some time in the garage with my Commander anyway (who...unbelievably...to my disgust got killed by a damn scout in one of tonight's missions - who then went on to kill our base). I'll see if I can add some smokey to him as I make him betterer.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

what is ars btw?
i'd like to read what the other squads are doing
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Ars Technica - a place I have frequented in the past. They have two squads going at the moment - Ars Machinae and Ars Secundus (both in Sal Kar I think). They also have some Hound Design Discussion going on.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

Cockpit protection design thing

I’ve heard of others using this technique where you place your generator above the cockpit then run a diagonal extender down past it, then add some armour. I’ve been experimenting with it lately...

It certainly improves your survivability. I’ve had several trial runs with various designs and a couple missions. I find that my cockpit gets hit less because other parts take the brunt of the damage. Since you can survive provided your cockpit is intact, this makes a big difference. It doesn’t effect your view at all because you either look from behind your mech or through weapon cameras. So if you have a mech where survival is paramount, then it would be worth playing with this sort of setup.

There are drawbacks though. The first issue is that it obviously takes extra weight for both the armour and the extender. The more annoying problem to deal with though is the placement of all your other parts. This sort of setup is very awkward and trying to arrange your remaining components becomes a frustrating, time-consuming experience. I’ve stuffed around seemingly forever in the garage just to get minor issues sorted out, juggling power requirements, weight, weapon placement, etc.

Here are a couple examples. My apologies for the crap screenshots just taken with a camera at the TV.

Commander
I’ve changed my commander from one that was reasonably well armed but slow and easily killed, to something lightly armed but hard to kill and quick. It has only 3 Heavy Assault Rifles now for offense, but that’s my bread and butter weapon and should be enough to take out scouts or assist others from a distance when required. A commander shouldn’t be in the thick of it, but should definitely be surviving and decent mobility is a bonus.

As you can see below the generator sits above the cockpit (upside down and spun around) and the diagonal extender protrudes past it. Notice also that I had to add another extender at the back to allow placement of the NA Maker and a thermal imager. I tried many designs but just couldn’t do it without that extra component. I think this design still has room for a smoke launcher, but having experimented with that as well I’m not sure it will be a workable tactic against AI. Maybe against people it will work.

Sniper
Finally, here’s the redesigned version of my rather dull but functional Sniper come Soldier dude. In order to get this design I had to sacrifice one sniper rifle that I had on my previous version. It now has 3 x Light Sniper Rifles and 4 x Heavy Assault Rifles. There’s a night vision component on the back. A bit dull but it seems to work okay. Because this one is more about ranged firepower I’ve decided against armour on the sides. If I get hit there then the weapons should protect the cockpit a bit, though the weapons themselves may get destroyed. A sniper shouldn’t be getting that close though, and this protects me from the front against other snipers etc.

Um...the end.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

that's an interesting idea, I often take big damage when looking at the enemy, that means my cockpit is copping it.
i'll have to tinker with my mechs some more I think.

last night I made a new heavy gunner, so armour at all because I read (at ars technica) that using heavy offers decent protection anyway.

I also made a scout, he can actually hold a suprising amount of weight so I have 4 machine guns and 2 multi-rocket launchers on it, it has the thermal sensor but I need to wait for the war to finish before I can but smoke.
when I tested my scount I really ripped the enemy to shreds, and my mobility helps avoid damage.

i'm not sure if being a heavy gunner is the way to go, I just need to find a nice balance I think.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I wish the war would be over soon so I can grab all the parts in the shop before we move countries. I might try out that inverted cockpit thingo.

I made a little hover guy last night with 4x machien guns, 2x heat rockets and 1x bombs. Mainly for base attacking and being a nuisance. He moves at around 240km/h and can easily circle strafe around a heavy gunner faster than the turrets can move. I might try a variant with 4 spikes as a base killer :)
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

go 6 spikes... that's what others do, takes down a base in no time.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent

Post by Twit »

The war was over this morning when I jumped on for another little session in the garage. The shop is open!

Edit - do you guys have anything special for getting better speed? I never seem to be able to get mine above about 140 without taking off too much. I suppose I also prefer the ones with legs though, because I don't seem to be able to aim as well with tracks.
Last edited by Twit on 01 Aug 2006 01:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Ok, can everyone buy up parts from the Sal Kar shop? Including the lotteries for special/captured parts? Next war we're moving.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Also where do we get land mines/missle counters/smoke charges/thermal vision from?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

the shop and single player

I bought missile counterm smoke (light arms/mortar) and thermal in the shop, I got the mines in single player
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

What level for the mines? I really want them for my defender.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

scout missions

edit- if they are in the shop you'll want to buy a few, they spit out 2 mines and take forever to reload.

good weapon for a commander, i've seen some great places to plant them (after you allies leave) so your enemies will surely run into them if they want to attack your base
Last edited by jizzlobber on 01 Aug 2006 06:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.