Attn all micro owners! DS owners! Bit Generation is here!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Attn all micro owners! DS owners! Bit Generation is here!

Post by selfish »

In line with the "third pillar" scheme, Nintendo has released a new line of games - this isn't the "Touch" Generation, this is the "Bit" Generation - games meant to invoke the spirits of games past. They're all minimalist and sleek, priced at ¥2,000 (about $20), and designed to look great on the micro.
I've been playing dotstream, which is a brilliant 2D (well 1D?) racer - you race coloured lines on a black background from left to right, dodging obstacles to form a track. It has overtones of a fully fledged racing game, subtle hints that remind you of everything Extreme-G and friends wanted to be (but without being just another Wipeout wannabe). It feels like a slimmed down Unirally due to the side-on element, and yet is somehow totally fresh (and refreshing). It's hard enough in a way F-Zero is - just hard enough that you can get good enough with a little effort to do what was previously impossible. I'm enjoying this a tonne, but (as far as I can tell) the omission of multiplayer is practically unforgivable.

The other two released, Boundish and Dialhex haven't captured me as much. Boundish amounts to Pong on steroids (and is very good at it, looking spiffy and including a mode called Human League of all things), and Dialhex is a puzzle game which is really quite good - it involves rearranging triangles into hexagons in a crazy addictive way - but they both pale into insignificance compared to how much fun I'm having with Dotstream. The music in all of them is pretty cool in a very gameboy-pop kinda way, far better with headphones.

More crazy ads and the like here.

Get on board!
Pat

Post by Pat »

$40 each from liksang.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

I love this games as art style concept..

Very cool :)

That dialex puzzle game in the vid looks great!

Damn wish I had picked up one of those $50 Micros from Grace Bros...

Selfish did you buy the game or arrhhh me hearties..?
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

yeah dialhex looks the shit. I might have to get these.

Some of the stuff in series 2 looks very good.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

i've actually taken up residence in canada, take a peek on my site for passports etc
i'd buy it if it were $20
$40 if there were more tracks and multiplayer
no multiplayer is the biggest sin imho
can anyone prove me wrong, please? i've just ordered a link cable and it'd be a shame not to be able to play such a good game multi
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

site link pls :)
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

psssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhew
if you can't find it get on irc like you should be and i'll just link you directly, pat says nothing from the jack sparrow side of things
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Wow, these look great (if a little expensive). If only Orbital had a licensed soundtrack. ;)

I might have to look into some kind of scurvy flash cart as well, I'd import a whole lot more for the GBA/DS if I could try before I buy.
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

Its a good thing Gamma.. I have bought more DS games than ever, but always try before I buy..

Last count I have bought over 20 DS games as opposed to about 4 for the PSP :)
luro

Post by luro »

hot damn

I MUST HAVE THEM
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

4 more released on thursday
party on wayne
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Heads up: I just got DialHex and SoundVoyager, $25 each with free shipping from the suspiciously titled yet hassle-free YesAsia.com.

Impressions to follow. Do all Jap GBA games come in such awesomely tiny boxes or is it just the Bit Generation series? One of these is supposed to be a gift, it's going to be hard to let it go.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Fuck, you should have bought dotstream and orbital so you could give impressions of THOSE. :D
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Well at that price I'm thinking I'll grab Orbital and maybe DigiDrive as well... but you shouldn't be surprised I went for the one with crazy sound shit first. :)
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

orbital was good but i got bored cause it was the only game i could have on the cart
dotstream is FUCKING AWESOME but desperately needs multiplayer
and more tracks
and the difficulty to be adjusted, it jumps all over the shop
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Soundvoyager is cool. It's no Electroplankton- the price is probably a bit disproportionate if you've got a DS and are in the market for a sound toy. I certainly don't regret the purchase though, it's good fun. It takes the concept of stereo positioning and explores it through simple games. They're presented in levels which follow a tree structure, but since this is the most severely Japanese thing I've ever imported I'm not really sure what determines the path you take just yet. I haven't really played it too much but I think the audio's going to stand the test of time. You can't really mess with old school FM pads.

I didn't end up having a go of Dialhex myself (my friend was hooked instantly), but it looks and sounds very nice. I feel I should also mention again how ace the packaging is for these games.

Very tempted by Orbital still and now Coloris. I keep changing my mind, I can see this ending poorly (quite literally).