Loco Roco = PSP GOTY

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Loco Roco = PSP GOTY

Post by Pat »

First, some review from Eurogamer seems to rate it highly.
Outside of the main game, there's admittedly not an awful lot to see and do, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. If you fancy fiddling around tirelessly with all manner of odd bits and pieces that you've collected on your journies, then you can place them somewhere in your very own 'LocoRoco house'. All this appears to amount to is a sort of bizarre 'design your own level' play pen for your LocoRoco to independently bounce around in (to the music of your choice). By placing certain props and platforms in their path, you can set off chain reactions and sit back and watch them happily interact with your creation. It's fun to watch, and sort of mindlessly amusing when you've got some time to devote to it, but hardly in the same league as actually playing the main game. The ability to subsequently exchange them wirelessly with a friend will no doubt offer a certain cult appeal to the really devoted - at a push.

Various mini games can be found elsewhere once you've mined the game fully, but, again, aren't much more than minor curiosities. Available by default, MuiMui Crane is like one of those simple cuddly toy games at fairgrounds where a metallic arm dives in and grabs one (if you're lucky), and this operates on the same principle - except you're trying to extract MuiMui for reasons that aren't all that obvious. Meanwhile, the unlockable Chuppa Chuppa is another short-lived affair where you must fire LocoRoco around a thorn-filled level using the long-beaked Chuppa, with the idea to launch it around for as long as possible without hitting a thorn. Neither will occupy anyone for too long, so don't get too excited. This isn't a game flush with too many useful hidden extras.

Aside from experimental unlocks and silly novelties, the LocoRoco experience is one of undiluted fun. If the tilting, blob moving puzzle-platforming doesn't warm your heart, then the catalogue of alarmingly addictive psychotic J-Pop tunes will have you dancing around the living room. Bound together by bite-sized playability, endless secrets and the most charming 2D visuals ever conceived, LocoRoco is the perfect distilation of everything a handheld game should be. It's the sort of quirkily original PSP title that we've been screaming for - buy it and smile all summer long.

9/10
Then there's the obligatory "cute game is racist" controversy :roll:
A blogger has kicked up a right old storm of controversy after suggesting that PSP puzzler LocoRoco has racist overtones.

In a post on his 1UP blog, Alejandro Quan-Madrid argued that the Moja enemies in LocoRoco resemble the racist "blackface" caricature adopted by minstrel peformers at the start of the twentieth century. They remained commonplace for many years - in Britain, the BBC's own Black and White Minstrel Show ran until 1978.

"Today in virtually any public sphere in the US, a depiction of a blackface character is not met without much murmurings and harsh criticism," Quan-Madrid wrote.

"In comparison, some countries such as Japan (where LocoRoco was developed) do not have significant black populations and so blackface images can come about without any criticism.

"The images are also then okay to be labelled as the enemy or even serve as representations of black characters in general, despite the racist images they perpetuate. That and I hear that Japanese people (in Japan) at times can be pretty innocently racist."

Quan-Madrid even goes so far as to suggest that "One could also equate the "invasion of the Moja and the fleeing of the LocoRocos to black slaves being brought to American and the very common practice of today of white flight.

"But we're not even going to go there," he added, perhaps a bit too late.

According to Quan-Madrid, he's "not accusing the developers of being racist, nor am I accusing LocoRoco of being a racist game. I simply believe that this is a product of unchecked institutionalised racism that needs calling out."

He went on to suggest that a colour change for the Mojas should be implemented, because "I do feel these racist undertones, whether intentional or not, would stop me as well as others from fully enjoying this game".

So what does Sony have to say about it? Well, "LocoRoco is a fantasy game geared towards a worldwide audience that takes place in a vibrant pastel world with colorful landscapes and characters and is not based on real-life places, people or things." So there.

Let the comments commence!

I'm really enjoying this game. The songs are stupidly catching, and the little mui-muis are funny for some reason. Who else has it?
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

What the fk is wrong with that guy? HOW COULD YOU EQUATE ANYTHING IN LOCO ROCO TO HUMAN BEINGS? Let alone RACISM INSPIRED characters.. God lay off the crack pipe mr blogger.

It's not PSP GOTY, it's GOTY.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

does anyone have a cheap psp? sub $200?

i saw someone on the bus the other day and it looked mighty fine, except for the fact he spent most of the journey waiting for it to load between screens

edit: it was some soccer game, not loco roco
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So whats that now, 2 must have titles on the PSP?? Still not worth the purchase
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Loco Roco is not just PSP GOTY. It's simply GOTY!
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Fuck i'm going to have to try this game, my PSP is sitting in a cupboard somewhere next to my DS. I have pulled it out a few times since i had it... battery was dead so i put it on charge and my mood changed by the time it was charged. Put it away.. same thing happens next time i want to use it. So i don't bother.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Keep either in a bedside draw. Ever since the GB grey when I was 9 my portable consoles got decent play on certain nites there's shit tv late nite or I couldn't sleep. You'll play it more.
mxlegend99
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

I go to bed quiet late and if i done that... i'd stay up for hours. LOL. I might sit them out though. I stored them away as they cluttered up my DVD shelves... but atleast they got used before.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Finally got a chance to get this working on my fw 1.5 PSP and it's fucking awesome!!! Very trippy.

About to give Tekken a bash as well ... PSP is back in business baby!!!!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Tekken sounds fantastic - Gamesharing that uses your memorystick to cache it, and you can build up a huge cache for faster loading (not that the 4-5 second loads are bad anyway).
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I don't really throw the term around or anything, but I have to agree.

Loco Roco = so fucking GOTY! :up:
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

While this is slightly off-topic ... I gotta say the devhook hack is pretty wikid ... the ability to swap between 1.5 fw and 2.5 fw is awesome!!!

All 2.5 fw apps appear to work great as well!!!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

whay the fuck do all my MSN windown have annoying loco roco backgrounds?
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I wanna know so I can do it haha.

At the moment I have a few customised MSN windows, with various artwork.. But it's mostly by accident from when I try and send people pictures :P
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

I can't get rid of it, and I even have loco smilies... no idea where they came from!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

You might have clicked on the Loco Roco ad in Messenger. When I clicked on it, it downloaded backgrounds and stuff.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:whay the fuck do all my MSN windown have annoying loco roco backgrounds?
That is so awesome!
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Okay I've just played through about 15 rounds of Tekken on PSP. Game looks and sounds AMAZING for a handheld. It also plays surprisingly well with the analog stick and buttons. I'm not a huge fite game fan (a real button-masher) so I wouldn't know how it ranks in the fiting stakes.

Suitably impressed though ... and for the price, a definite winner!! ;)
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:You might have clicked on the Loco Roco ad in Messenger. When I clicked on it, it downloaded backgrounds and stuff.
I didn't mean to do that, it's pissing me off because I can't change back, I can change to another dynamic background but can't go back to plan white.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I just downloaded the demo of Loco Roco from the psp site onto my psp. I was really excited about this game. I like arcade games and jap games with good gameplay.

What can I say.... Its shit..... All you can do is tilt the screen and jump.... and to jump you have to press 2 buttons at once which is frustrating and annoying...... Oh wait you can also split into many little blobs which makes it more frustrating. In addition, the whole thing is very slow and cumbersome.

I don't see how people can rate this game.... Its shit.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

YOU ARE shit. Loco Roco is awesome.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:You might have clicked on the Loco Roco ad in Messenger. When I clicked on it, it downloaded backgrounds and stuff.
I didn't mean to do that, it's pissing me off because I can't change back, I can change to another dynamic background but can't go back to plan white.
What happens if you turn the dynamic background off all together?
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

ok I had to select 'more' in the background select screen, then I could see the blank one.
all good :)
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

lol @ ads in messenger
either hack them out of it or use miranda
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jub-Jub wrote:I just downloaded the demo of Loco Roco from the psp site onto my psp. I was really excited about this game. I like arcade games and jap games with good gameplay.

What can I say.... Its shit..... All you can do is tilt the screen and jump.... and to jump you have to press 2 buttons at once which is frustrating and annoying...... Oh wait you can also split into many little blobs which makes it more frustrating. In addition, the whole thing is very slow and cumbersome.

I don't see how people can rate this game.... Its shit.
Sounds like another Katamari. Think I'll avoid this one. :down: