Guitar Hero to Real Guitar

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Guitar Hero to Real Guitar

Post by Kabal »

Has anyone else considered taking up the guitar for real after playing guitar hero?

I am seriously thinking about buying myself a cheapo electric :). I doubt the skills translate across at all but GH makes it seem like a lot of fun.
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Skills don't translate at all, but hey! Playing a real guitar is still a lot of fun and very rewarding. Perhaps go for an acoustic though, more forgiving, less hassle, and cheaper.
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

Yeah I thought about accoustic but I figured I would be much more likely to stick with playing an electric than an accoustic. Gotta have an interest in the sound that comes out of it in order to keep at it :)
Ram
NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT INTERNET 1.1

Post by Ram »

As a Guitar player (been playing for years and not that good) i always wonderd if you guys playing guitar hero were into real guitars .I saw a PS2 set up with guitar hero in a shop few weeks ago and i had to larf,it looks like a toy.

Try the real thing,Its soo worth the pain of sore fingers and sore hands when ya can rip out a song infront of a hot chick :D
mech

Post by mech »

Kabal wrote:Yeah I thought about accoustic but I figured I would be much more likely to stick with playing an electric than an accoustic. Gotta have an interest in the sound that comes out of it in order to keep at it :)
What's wrong with the sound of an acoustic? Like I said, an acoustic is more forgiving, and generally sounds a lot better than an electric. Anyway, just my opinion.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

Or buy an acoustic electric? An acoustic makes a good learning curve. Most 16yr olds just jump straight into electric just to play the latest fuckin linkin park bullshit.
But get an electric and you FOR REAL play Cowboys From Hell!!!
<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<
just like my man here
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

Haha I'm not 16 nor do I have any interest in Linkin Park :)
jahooley

Post by jahooley »

Good. I didn't think so. any music stores near you? I trade with a lot of retail shops in Victoria...
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

i like linkin park
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

jahooley wrote:Good. I didn't think so. any music stores near you? I trade with a lot of retail shops in Victoria...
I didn't really know of any but I googled around and found
http://www.melmusic.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They're ~5mins from my house and seem to be into selling the chinese crap guitars I would be after for my first one :)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Electric will be more forgiving (not acoustic), you wont have to push as hard to sound notes clearly and apply vibrato. Just dont get an absolute shred machine first up as the tiny, speedy and light frets/strings will 'spoil' you. You'll end up with an inaccurate technique when things are made so easy. On the other hand getting an acoustic will train you up quicker without having to practise picking/fretting excersizes and technique as much as you would on an electric. Having to work harder for everynote in turn is good practise. Its pros and cons really so i'd go with an electric that doesnt have an EXTREMELY easy action.

I reckon just get yourself one of those squier packs with amp and squier strat for bout $300. You wont be able to get a better sounding and playing guitar/amp combo for that price....actually Ibanez make a good one too - the amp has fucken meaty distortion for a 15watter.

Also.........Madmya = teh fagg0t.
jahooley

Post by jahooley »

Ashton Guitars? They often have a stratocaster styled electric guitar with like 10watt amp in a pack for $200 to $250.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

ashton is ok, but they suck cock if you compare them with the squier. They dont last as long and are made like a cheap hooker - not a terrible guitar to start on but there is better out there.

Yamaha also have some good beginner guitars.