No Gamecube controller for Zelda Wii

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Post by Pat »

Exactly, the application is still different to that of a light gun.

(Which I believe work by sensing bright spots on your tv that are moving relative to your calibration and gun pointing. When you pull the trigger, if something is within the bright area, it registers a hit).
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

from shacknews:
The most talked about point was that the control scheme for the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has been revised since E3, and now the player actually swings the sword by swinging the Wii remote. Some think this is great and adds to the immersion; others think it's pointless and will be extremely tiring. I think it's the wrong move. I'm not so much concerned about it being physically tiring; since that action doesn't use the pointer function you should still be able to rest your hand on your lap. That said, the game was simply not designed for this functionality. I can't think of any reason the user experience would actually be improved by having to wave your hand, even if the movements are only slight, every time you want to swing the sword. It just screams tacked on functionality to me. This wouldn't be a problem, except that Nintendo recently noted that contrary to prior expectation you will in fact not be able to use a GameCube controller with the Wii version of the game. So, just pick up the GameCube version, right? Well, that version doesn't support widescreen, as far as I know. The Wii version is in widescreen and runs at 60fps. I'm just holding out hope that maybe even if it doesn't support the GameCube controller, it will support the Wii classic controller.
If you can't play it normally, I'm just going to skip it, simple. If the reviews say it's FUCKING AWESOME then I'll reconsider (YES GREYWIZZARD, I AM GOING TO LISTEN TO OTHER PEOPLE BEFORE POTENTIALLY WASTING MY MONEY).
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just one point, potentially mitigating to the GC version not supporting widescreen. The Wii is a bit more powerful than the Cube, so presumably the GC version *might* suffer performance issues when running in widescreen. Perhaps?

Still doesnt excuse the lack of Wii vs traditional controls as an option on the Wii version, however.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Pat wrote:The Wii is a bit more powerful than the Cube, so presumably the GC version *might* suffer performance issues when running in widescreen. Perhaps?
Widescreen just renders the image anamorphically and squishes the screen up. When you put it on a 4:3 monitor you don't get black bars, it just looks squished together. When you display it on a 16:9 screen it gets unsquished and looks proper.

It still involves the same number of pixels. The camera is basically calculated differently. You can see it with games like Super Mario Strikers and Super Monkey Ball Adventure which both support widescreen.
mech

Post by mech »

It does mean you can see more stuff on screen though, so it usually needs a bit more polygon pushing grunt.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Ahh ok then.

I still have hope that Wii controls will be good for it though. Time will tell.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

You know I agree with mech here, though I am keener to play and enjoy the game than him. But think about it, this is a cube game with cube controls that has been delayed to include wii control - not the other way around. The areas, abilities and whatever else were originally designed for the gamecube not the wii so it will either mean a poor wii version or a suffering cube version. I'd be thinking its the former.

I reckon the wii will have great controls and possibilities but prolly not thru a cube game with cube ideas. at best it'll just 'be a way' to play TP as a wii owner, not 'a better way'.