Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

mech
Phase 3: Profit!

No Gamecube controller for Zelda Wii

Post by mech »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In a move sure to upset the groups still not convinced of Wii's merits, George Harrison, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications, stopped in a Camp Hyrule chat session moderated by Nintendo themselves and confirmed the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will only have support for the Wii's control scheme.

Many had hoped Nintendo would allow for dual Wii and GameCube support ala a number of upcoming Wii releases, but Nintendo appears confident enough in its design that hardened fans will have to pick up the GameCube release if they're that hardcore. You still have time to decide which one sways you, as both versions will be launched simultaneously during Wii's launch date this fall.

Additionally, Harrison teased about Virtual Console, which may also host all-new Nintendo games, instead of just nostalgic classics. "Remember, there are other secrets of the virtual console that we won't reveal until we get closer to launch," he said. "Virtual console offers the possibility for us to create new games, but our focus right now is in getting the Wii hardware launched and new games from Nintendo on the virtual console will be coming sometime after the launch."

Secrets, secrets are no fun; secrets, secrets make message boards whine and moan. Let's hope we hear more from Nintendo soon.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

:lol: it figures that something stupid like this would happen, but it's still fucking BS :down:
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

So buy a Wii and get the GC version?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Wasn't the GC version limited to America? Anyway, if you go the GC version you lose widescreen.
Depends what you're willing to sacrifice I guess. A normal method of control or widescreen..
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

since I am so amazed by widescreen I know which version I'm getting!
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

So how's this then?

Buy a Wii and Zelda to show off to your mates and have on the widescreen telly and buy the GC version and actually play the game on your old 4:3 set in the bedroom.

Noting since the Wii is a low res machine playing the game on a small 4:3 set may infact look better anyhow.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

GreyWizzard wrote:since I am so amazed by widescreen I know which version I'm getting!
:lol:
mech

Post by mech »

I was only going to get this game because it was a pack-in on the Wii... I'll see what the reviews say.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

The feedback on the controls at E3 was fking horrible for this title.

And yeah they confirmed no progressive or widescreen for the gamecube release, so you either get uglier with better controls or prettier with waggle, plus the whole strong rumour about the Cube release being NA exclusive..

Fucks sake Nintendo.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

GC version doesn't have 16:9, it's just 4:3. You're fucked either way :laugh:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Sonic Jam wrote:The feedback on the controls at E3 was fking horrible for this title.

And yeah they confirmed no progressive or widescreen for the gamecube release, so you either get uglier with better controls or prettier with waggle, plus the whole strong rumour about the Cube release being NA exclusive..

Fucks sake Nintendo.
No progressive scan on the gammacoob version? Fucking hell nintendo :down:
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Zelda Wii also connects to WiiConnect24 for some online pay, though Nintendo have not confirmed what the online content will be as of yet.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I was going to play it the Cube way, but this might still be a good way. Hell, if I'm going to get a Samecube and a Samecube game on a "new gen" machine I might as well test out the only new thing about it - ie the control method.

If its rubbish Ill take it back and get the Cube version. And since I'm on a standard def, non-widescreen telly it wont matter a damn :(
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'll just wait for the Wii emulator and play it on my modded Xbox.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

i, um, don't really care
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Candy Arse wrote:I'll just wait for the Wii emulator and play it on my modded Xbox.
:up:

I wanted to play this on a Wii using the standard controller. I got rid of my Gamecube as it didn't have enough games to warrant keeping it (my sisters use it more then i did, so i traded it with them for a DS :thumbsup: They got about 5 games and the cube and i got the DS with Mario Kart :) )

I'll be grabbing it for Wii for sure. Fuck playing it in 4:3 with black bars on my TV.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Awesome News! :up:

IGN are saying the Wii version will now also include extra content not available for the cube, including new dungeons, puzzles and apparently downloadable content through WiiConnect24.

They also state the GC version still remains a USA only release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114786
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

rocco is a funny man
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

Rocco wrote:
They also state the GC version still remains a USA only release.
Good thing I still have that US GC around here somewhere.

Might get the Wii version for the extra content.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Nintendo hate gaming.

Fuck them.
Pat

Post by Pat »

What exactly for, S_J?
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Actively choosing to remove standard controls from Zelda Wii, actively choosing to make Zelda GC US exclusive, actively choosing to not bother making Zelda Cube Widescreen/progressive (Though this could be hardware related, but there are tons of awesome progressive cube games).

Adding exclusive content to the Wii version for no reason when both versions are launching at the same time using the same engine etc.

Nintendo hates their fans and gamers who supported them during the bleak Cube years, this is now an undisputed fact.

Lets not forget that the game was supposedly a 9/10 experience ready to ship a year ago, and Nintendo delayed it saying they want it to be perfect then it later came out they only delayed it to make it a Wii launch buzz game.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I'm going to have to wait to get reports whether freeloader works with it or not :(

Fucking Nintendo cunts. I should have sold my GC long ago.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Sonic Jam wrote:Actively choosing to remove standard controls from Zelda Wii, actively choosing to make Zelda GC US exclusive, actively choosing to not bother making Zelda Cube Widescreen/progressive (Though this could be hardware related, but there are tons of awesome progressive cube games).

Adding exclusive content to the Wii version for no reason when both versions are launching at the same time using the same engine etc.

Nintendo hates their fans and gamers who supported them during the bleak Cube years, this is now an undisputed fact.

Lets not forget that the game was supposedly a 9/10 experience ready to ship a year ago, and Nintendo delayed it saying they want it to be perfect then it later came out they only delayed it to make it a Wii launch buzz game.
I dont see it that way, for different reasons (some of which only apply to my lack of new tv). Playing Devil's Advocate, maybe some of the 'exclusive to Wii' features include control-specific minigames, nothing significant?

Whilst you could get the Cube version minus the widescreen and progressive scan support, has the PAL version really been cancelled? I have only heard that it hasnt been yet confirmed (ie inconclusive).

Finally - the Wii controls are still relatively standard. Arent they? Move with analog stick, presumably the d-pad directions assign weapon equipment like the c-stick, and Ill hazard a guess that the lock-on function is provided by one of the z-buttons on the nunchuku attachment.

All I'm saying is if you were going to get a Wii, it might not be a big problem at all - even less so if the control scheme is superior.

If youre not getting one, then yes- I'd be pissed too. I'm just saying it might be too early to call.
mech

Post by mech »

Sonic_jam OTM as per usual.

If Sony had pulled similar garbage to this, everyone on here would have been crying foul.