No Gamecube controller for Zelda Wii

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Every single report I read from E3 listed the Wii controls for Zelda as among the worst demonstrations of how to use the Wii that you could find at the expo. Everything I read about it sounds more difficult than standard controls - I will be buying both versions most likely Pat.

The prog scan support is an incredible improvement for image quality on a HD set, significantly less stuff is being done to the image if it's progressive from the get go so that's REALLY important to me.. For example most PS2 games that look fucking incredible on standard sets (Kingdom Hearts 2 for example) can look very average on my HD LCD. Widescreen is an even bigger thing for me because I've just gotten so used to it with most big/new games supporting it aswell as TV etc.. It's really really good.

Delaying the game a year to add Wii exclusive stuff, and deny the cube options and features, and deny it to PAL land, and then deny Wii owners standard controls... This list speaks for itself in terms of actions and justifies my Nintendo hates gaming comment.

I'm sure the gamers Nintendo is pissing off won't matter when they have the non gamer market cornered though.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

See, if I weren't getting this game for free, and if it weren't 4:3 for the normal version (what's up with THAT?) I'd get the GC version. Prog scan or not, interlaced input looks fantastic through my TV. But Nintendo have done everything they can to hinder the GC version (Prog scan, widescreen, extras) except for the control method, which everyone at E3 said was awful for the damn Wii version.

Hopefully they improve it before release, because I'd really just like to play the true Zelda:OoT sequel with a regular controller personally, and not have to fuck around.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

can someone explain to me why they're so damn cut up about this? because they're trying hard to be true "retro" gamers? "oh, i liked nintendo *before* they sold out and used the new controller"

wah wah fucking wah, you're a bunch of bloody whingers
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

^^^ Its the english blood in them. :lol:

selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

I'm cut up about it because i've been waiting for Zelda for fucking ages and i'm not convinced on the Wii yet. Even if I were the integration of the control with the game on Wii looks fucking awful. The fact that they pooch-screwed a lot of us by announcing the GC version US only.
mech

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:can someone explain to me why they're so damn cut up about this? because they're trying hard to be true "retro" gamers? "oh, i liked nintendo *before* they sold out and used the new controller"

Because we want to play Zelda normally, not by waving a remote around in the air.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Have you even pla... oh no wait... you don't play games, you play reviews.

Sorry, continue.
mech

Post by mech »

Yeah I'm sure all those people complaining about the control method were wrong, it's up to me to actually buy everything out there and try it before I'm allowed to decide anything about it.

Funny how not owning a PSP hasn't stopped you bagging it out whenever you can.

Also funny how you didn't harrass Sonic_Jam or Scullibundo for making similar comments, what a surprise :roll:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

When have I bagged out the PSP? I have merely said that there are no games that interest me. That isn't paying out on the console, I'm just stating my preference.

I have made comments about others thinking that a demo represents the finished product before.

You just hold a special place in my heart mech. kisses XXOO
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:
selfish wrote:can someone explain to me why they're so damn cut up about this? because they're trying hard to be true "retro" gamers? "oh, i liked nintendo *before* they sold out and used the new controller"

Because we want to play Zelda normally, not by waving a remote around in the air.
I have heard that theyve changed a number of things about the control scheme, but obviously no details. It's not a done deal though, so it could be good or could be bad.

As for PAL GC version - this still hasnt been cancelled as far as I know.
mech

Post by mech »

GreyWizzard wrote:When have I bagged out the PSP? I have merely said that there are no games that interest me. That isn't paying out on the console, I'm just stating my preference.

I have made comments about others thinking that a demo represents the finished product before.

You just hold a special place in my heart mech. kisses XXOO
How do you know they don't interest you? Shouldn't you play them before forming an opinion of them?
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pat

Post by Pat »

:lol:

Although the same arguement applies - we dont know if Zelda will control well on Wii. One can only hope.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

I don't mind that the Wii version is Wii control style only. I do hope though, that they do release the GC version here. I mean that is a big slap in the face to the non upgraders. Some people are going to want to keep their GC's and it was pretty much promised that it was a GC title. I guess we just wait until release and see what the official word from Nintendo is.
Pat

Post by Pat »

GreyWizzard wrote: I mean that is a big slap in the face to the non upgraders.
It's not really an upgrade :D
Pat

Post by Pat »

Actual controller use details from an interview - might give a better idea of what to expect.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IGN wrote: Speaking to Japan's monthly Nintendo Dream publication, producer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the game will now allow players to swing the controller for sword slashes.

At E3, players used the B button to swing Link's sword, with Nintendo explaining at the time that players would likely get tired having to actually swing the controller. "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

Going along with this change, Nintendo has made modifications to the game's bow and arrow controls. In the E3 version, players aimed with the Wiimote, then actually shot out arrows using the D-pad. With the B button now free, Nintendo has moved the action to the B button. Miyamoto felt that that shooting the arrow with the D-pad was too difficult, and the B button allows for quicker and easier shooting.

It's unclear if the game will require the new control scheme or if players will be able to chose between different methods of control.

Nintendo Dream closed off by asking Miyamoto to name the version of Zelda he personally prefers. The master game maker said that he'd play the Wii version, but added that both versions will be fun.

"I can't talk about it yet, but this Zelda has a lot to it," said Miyamoto. "What you played at E3 was just the tip of the nail." Regarding Nintendo's statement at E3 that Twilight Princess would be the best Zelda in history, he said, "Yes. It's coming along quite nicely."
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

"What you played at E3 was just the super happy fun magic colour joy tip of the nail."
Pat

Post by Pat »

So long as its not a gangsta themed game with religious overtones, I'm happy.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I don't care if it's an overpimped american indian religious spiritual theme,I'm still not buying it.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

i wonder how much control you have over the sword
Pat

Post by Pat »

You wouldnt anyway, since you formed your opinion based on a 2 minute trial.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

The fuck I did.I based my opinion on screenshots.My two minute demo trial run was just to shut you up.
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW...What a bold move on Nintendo’s part, to control Link’s sword solely by physically swinging through the use of hand gestures.

I really like the idea of shooting bows via aiming on screen and pressing the B trigger to release an arrow.

If you think about it, there really is still so much more to uncover about this game i.e. Hyrule, twilight world, werewolf Link, horseback riding, wifi online capabilities, controller speaker sound effects etc.

Definitely though, the new sword swinging hand gesture controls is going to either make or break this game.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

break.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
mech

Post by mech »

Rocco wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW...What a bold move on Nintendo’s part, to control Link’s sword solely by physically swinging through the use of hand gestures.

I really like the idea of shooting bows via aiming on screen and pressing the B trigger to release an arrow.

If you think about it, there really is still so much more to uncover about this game i.e. Hyrule, twilight world, werewolf Link, horseback riding, wifi online capabilities, controller speaker sound effects etc.

Definitely though, the new sword swinging hand gesture controls is going to either make or break this game.
I don't think you aim on screen, given impressions I've read of these games you aim towards the sensor bar, and minor movements move the cursor around.

The only way they could let you actually aim at stuff on the TV is to make you calibrate each corner of the TV so it knew where it was in relation to the sensor bar; I don't think it's going to happen, but we'll see.