DS Thread: new first poast

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

DS Thread: new first poast

Post by Pat »

Upcoming Games

Most of the release dates are US dates - so import I guess.
  • Starfox Command - Sept 5
    Harvest Moon - Sept 19
    Mario Hoops 3 on 3 - Oct 26
    Contact - Oct 26
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue - Sept 28
    Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 - Oct 3
    FF:CC 2 - Oct 10
    AoE 2 - Oct 15
    Elite Beat Agents - Nov 6
    Children of Mana - Nov 7
    FF3 - Nov 7
    Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Nov 7
    Point Blank - Nov 17
    Lunar Knights - Nov 24
    Castlevania: PoR - Nov 28
    Chibi Robo - Dec
    Custom Robo Arena - Dec
    Panzer Tactics - Dec
    Phoenix Wright: JFA - Feb
    Steel Horizons - Feb 15
Other games you should have:

AWDS
NSMB
Ouendan
Castlevania
Mario Kart
Electroplankton
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Trauma Centre
Meteos
Kirby CC
Mario and Luigi 2
Metroid Prime Hunters
Animal Crossing
Nintendogs
Tetris
Sonic Rush
Warioware
Last edited by Pat on 22 Aug 2006 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Age Of Empires is rumoured to exist on my flash cart... what?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Sorry to busy playing neogeo on my psp. :twisted:

snk are gaming fucking gods!

BTW new RC1 of the neogeo emulator for psp is out, thread derail... check. :mrgreen:
false-alarm

Post by false-alarm »

mario 64 sucks on the DS if you try playing with the thumbstrap or stylus, but with the D pad it's not too bad. not nearly as good as on the 64 though. i'm keen to play some Nanostray and Castlevania (just recently finished aria of sorrow on GBA and loved it). bomberman is alright but it gets a bit same-same after a few levels. i suppose multiplayer is where the fun is at with that game but i haven't had the chance to play enough of it.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

There's many to comment on so I'll leave it with just a select few

Magnetica: Zuma for DS, they have done alot with the idea but as a Zuma player I had to adapt my style of play. this game has less focus on a 'weak spot' in the line and one must set up their own combos, however it can be more satisfying when you dont put a marble wrong. Another thing is the sfx in zuma kick arse, and in this game they are just average but thats not important...maybe I should try with headphones.

Electroplankton: This game is not worth $60 to anyone but fanboys or those who like giveaway collectable shit. However it is one of the most entertaining things I have played(when I do play it), very calming and good for a night you just can't get to sleep. There's just not enough to do, but analyzing it as a visual/aural art rather than a game it scores highly.

Eyeshield 21.Max Devil Power: Combine madden with trauma centre or ouendan and you might have this game. You play a regular game of NFL but there is crazy anime shit happening everywhere and your input is only required when something happens. If this makes sense; you aren't moving your guy around on the screen(not that you do in madden with its automatic shit :P). A play would essential go down like this:
You select to pass the ball, the ball is passed and you must then touch the ball as it flies past your vision rapdily.
Touching it accurately will allow you to keep running after catching the ball for a bigger gain.
Your character is faced with defenders and you must accurately touch moving targets to fake past them
if all this is done correctly the touchdown line should be in view and you will be feeling the heat of a defender on your back. A box then appears and you must run the stylus back and fourth over it to run fast and score.
If you imagine that kind of interface with an entire game of NFL, thats what it's like. There is some main game which is a japanese RPG at a high school i have tried plodding through but it just doesn't make sense so I just goto the exhibition match mode. A very entertaining game not to be missed.

Super Princess Peach: When I said this game would be like mario world after seeing the movie I wasn't that far off. Peach has various moods like crying for water, getting angry for fire or singing to fly which are to be used to burn a wooden platform or grow a plant to climb for example. You are never stumptedw with these 'puzzles' but there is alot to do and the gfx are very close to yoshi's island. The gameplay isn't that disimilar either. In addition the bosses defeated entirely with the touch screen, kinda similar to the minigames in kirbys canvas curse - a fun little romp to plod thru. IMO if this game were presented in a darker way it'd be better. Have the main character some deprived cartoon animal getting jabbed with a needle(your stylus) and boosted full of drugs...a likeness to the comic "The Filler bunny" comes to mind.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat wrote:Sorry to busy playing neogeo on my psp. :twisted:

snk are gaming fucking gods!

BTW new RC1 of the neogeo emulator for psp is out, thread derail... check. :mrgreen:
KOF XI is the fucking shit. I can't believe how good the conversion is on PS2! Arcade BETTER load times! Gameplay feels so fresh...SNKP have proven themselves now.
Pat

Post by Pat »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just out of interest, US sales figures as of July show DS is now ahead of PSP. Just.
DS Hardware: 5.85m
PSP Hardware: 5.12m

DS Software: 18.03m
PSP Software: 16.76m

DS Tie Ratio: 3.08
PSP Tie Ratio: 3.27

DS First Party Software: 10.79m (59.8%)
PSP First Party Software: 4.45m (26.6%)

DS Third Party Software: 7.24m (40.2%)
PSP Third Party Software: 12.31m (73.4%)
Thanks to GAF.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Wow... interesting (though hardly surprising) to see that the PSP is mainly 3rd party, while DS is in-house as far as software goes.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Yep - Nintendo software outsells anything else on their systems. Unsurprisingly.

We need to get some kind of definitive list of awesome worked out too.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

I got my DS just recently. I started with mario kart - its exactly as it should be.
Looking forward to trying mario 64, metroid, bomberman, sonic....blah blah

First of all : i need a flashcard. good brands anyone?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

M3-Mini SD and get the latest M3 Passcard.

Oh and of course you'll need a Mini SD card to go with that bundle.

Which reminds me I need to check Canada out for the latest releases. It's been a while since I caught up.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

A DS thread with no Rocco?? Oh, he just pimps Nintendo stuff but doesn't actually own anything. *slaps forehead*
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

I have every home and portable (including the DS & excluding the virtual boy) Nintendo system since the SNES, dipshit! :down:

What a totally retarded thing for you to say, considering you would have no clue what property I have received as gifts or purchased myself. :roll:
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Rocco wrote:you would have no clue what property I have received as gifts
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

:lol: :up:
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

That is somewhat funny considering I in fact did receive an N64 as a child for Christmas....

somewhat funny :|
Darwi
Obey your thirst

Post by Darwi »

Metroid is awesome...

I suck at it...

But the game is awesome.

And developing a shocking wrist sprain from holding the DS in my left hand so that I can fire the weopan and press the D-pad to move forward / strafe.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Im dead bored of my DS. Looking at local releases the horizon looks bleak. There are a few games in Pats list that I would like to play and I have owned a few of them listed as well.

Personally I thought Yoshi TnG was piss poor value for money. I had more fun with wireless MP and only had a go of that for about 2 days.

PWDA was very good but could've been better if they had integrated the same interaction in all the cases as appears in the last bonus case.

MK I played to death but funnily enough I only played it to unlock shit. I didnt really enjoy the game, as a single player game I find it tedious. Mind you, Ive never played MK MP on any platform so I dont know what I am missing.

MP is quite good as well. Control scheme is spot on, and one of the few games I have played Southpoor since Perfect Dark/Goldeneye era.

Kirby is great, loved the interaction with that. Quite challenging and great mini games. Not interested in completing it four times though with four diff characters.

Advance Wars DS I have had the most fun with and best value for money. Completed the game almost 3 times now and done quite a few of the other modes too, just off 200 medals so far and still going from time to time.

Sadly my touch screen isnt as great as it was. Configuration doesnt improve it and AWDS is almost unplayable with the stylus. Have to use the d-pad and butons now. :(
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
mech

Post by mech »

Pretty funny on 1up's podcast the other day, they went on and on and on about how they're 'sick of old games' 'we've done that in the 16bit era' blah blah blah, but then couldn't stop raving about how awesome DS was and how they couldn't wait for 'zelda, mario, castlevania' etc.

There's a reality distortion field around the DS, it's insane. Well, around Nintendo handhelds in general - they asked the dudes on the 1up podcast to list their handhelds, and they all seemed to have multiple DSes and gameboys (one guy had 10, 7 gameboys and 3 dses). Madness.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

i've got three gameboys and a ds, but it's not exactly anything special. it's been the mainstream console since forever now. *not* owning a gameboy or two is cause for concern.
Rocco wrote:I have every home and portable (including the DS & excluding the virtual boy) Nintendo system since the SNES, dipshit! :down:
what's that, like three consoles? ROCCO THE COLLECTOR!
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech

Post by mech »

I don't have too much of a problem if the gameboys are functionally different, e.g. Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy advance, but two of the same one? Ugh. _THREE_ DSes? Fucking crazy.
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

I'm playin g Phoenix Wright at the moment.... man, this game is Overrated. I'm trying to finish it quickly now so I can play Castlevania, but it just drags on and on and on.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I have finished CV:DoS, and I found it to be extremely frustrating at times, but also very rewarding sometimes too. The graphics were very pleasing to the eye in many levels. I'm not a fan of the Metroid style exploration/puzzle/2D platform adventure, so the fact that I finished CV:DoS says a lot for the game.

Not far into Phoenix Wright, but again, I'm hot and cold with it.

Mr Driller: Drill Spirits is a game I keep going back to time and time again.

Not being a handheld gaming fan at all, my expectations were extremely low. Certainly not expecting any Oblivion or Dead Rising style gaming experiences out of a handheld. So I have been extremely satisfied and am a very happy DS owner. It entertains me on the train with some old-school style gameplay. I've never asked for more out of it.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:Pretty funny on 1up's podcast the other day, they went on and on and on about how they're 'sick of old games' 'we've done that in the 16bit era' blah blah blah, but then couldn't stop raving about how awesome DS was and how they couldn't wait for 'zelda, mario, castlevania' etc.

There's a reality distortion field around the DS, it's insane. Well, around Nintendo handhelds in general - they asked the dudes on the 1up podcast to list their handhelds, and they all seemed to have multiple DSes and gameboys (one guy had 10, 7 gameboys and 3 dses). Madness.
Blame that on 1up being a bunch of fucking retards.
Twiztid Elf wrote: Not being a handheld gaming fan at all, my expectations were extremely low. Certainly not expecting any Oblivion or Dead Rising style gaming experiences out of a handheld. So I have been extremely satisfied and am a very happy DS owner. It entertains me on the train with some old-school style gameplay. I've never asked for more out of it.
You should try one of the more meatier games like AWDS.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Just play Castlevania Faraday, it's awesome.

I've been playing a fair bit of Tetris lately. I got to 200 lines in a boring lecture a few weeks ago, then my friend got 260, then I got 406, then she mustered all of her asian genes and got 999. Pwned- now the only thing left to do is to match the lines but beat her score. It's just not the same. I've also been getting back into Meteos. Damn that's a good game. Multiplayer NSMB is still rocking my world as well.

I'm really only looking forward to the next Castlevania and Yoshi's Island 2. There doesn't look to be much else on the horizon.