Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

No 1080p Games for PS3 This Year.....

Post by t0mby »

Vinegar
...says Microsoft. 'Don't get sucked into the hype,' warns Vrignaud

Throwing cold water on Sony's talk of 1080p output for its PlayStation 3 console, Microsoft's Andre Vrignaud has warned consumers that the company's claims are nothing but hype.

In a post on his blog, Vrignaud - who is director of technical strategy for Xbox Live - argues that developers looking to create a game for the next generation consoles will be aiming for 720p in order to maximise compatibility between Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as well as ensuring compatibility with the majority of HD television sets.

"The PS3 has roughly the same pixel-pushing capabilities as the Xbox 360. You don't need to take my word for it, it'll be obvious soon enough over the next year," Vrignaud stated.

"In fact, I'll stick my neck out and predict that that you won't see any 1080"x" games for the PS3 this year."

The MS exec further argues that modern HD equipment will display movie content - either on HD DVD or Blu-ray - progressively even if the input is interlaced, which makes the much touted 1080p resolution functionality of the PlayStation 3 largely irrelevant on current consumer equipment.

"99% of PS3 titles will natively render at 720p; the few that come out with 1080"x" support are either going to be simple classic arcade ports that don't need to render complex scenes... Or will give up a lot of in-game visual effects and simply won't look very good (hence the poor showing of Gran Turismo "HD" at this past E3)," he continued.

"Don't get sucked into all the 1080p hype. Just make sure you have a recent HDTV that de-interlaces 1080i signals correctly and you'll be just fine."
Pffft, its only a few months, might see some next year but I could see the PS3 getting some exclusives that are 1080p and of course a few 1st Party titles to show off the system, but yeah, cross platform games might all be in 720p.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Microsoft exec slanders PS3.

Film at fucking 11.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Boo hoo and Microsoft's premiere launch title (PGR3) was running at 600p and upscaled. Pot. Kettle. Black.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

I think the point is the way that Sony fanboys took 120fps at 1080p and run with it.

Microsoft are just saying to those that think the PS3 is going to shit on Xbox 360 with resolution and frame rates... that it won't.

Although saying NO 1080p games will launch might be a bit much. Surely we will see 1 or 2?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I hope to god we don't see 1080p games. Why you ask? Simple the gpus in these systems aren't grunty enough to do double the pixel shading work load that 1080p requires without framerates/visuals taking a hit.

I'd rather they focus on 720p and push the visuals/framerate as much as possible.

1080p panels are still pretty rare out there too, 1080p is best left to the next generation. By then too 1080p hdmi standards will be more widespread and also the market should have lots of 1080p panels in homes and stores.
Last edited by lestat on 18 Aug 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mech

Post by mech »

I think the point is the way that Sony fanboys took 120fps at 1080p and run with it.
Yeah? who did that? I certainly didn't see anyone believe that shit.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

i figure it was the same people who took 'zen of gaming' and 'impressive 3d graphics'* seriously

*on the box for the nes and snes
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Actually. Quiet a number of people took it and ran with it. Moreso at GAF then here or PlayNOW.

Usually came up whenever a 30fps game on 360 surfaced (which was nearly every game :P) people would come in and bag the 360 and use the 120fps/1080p thing.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

But next gen starts at 1080p!
mech

Post by mech »

mxlegend99 wrote:Actually. Quiet a number of people took it and ran with it. Moreso at GAF then here or PlayNOW.

Usually came up whenever a 30fps game on 360 surfaced (which was nearly every game :P) people would come in and bag the 360 and use the 120fps/1080p thing.
They were kidding dude.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

120fps at 1080p x2 (hdmi) outputs....

I figured the framerate was actually crippled by the cpu's and devs not knowing how to code for them yet rather than the gpu being underpowered (I suppose that is only valid for 720p though).
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:
mxlegend99 wrote:Actually. Quiet a number of people took it and ran with it. Moreso at GAF then here or PlayNOW.

They were kidding dude.
No. Not all were. Some people genuinely beleived it. :?
mech

Post by mech »

Like who? Is anyone that daft? I only remember people like Pilon or Candy Arse bagging out the 360 titles, and they were definitely joking. Seriously, what Sony fanboy thought that the PS3 was going to do 120fps at 1080p?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Corey??

Hey Corey where the fuck are you?!!
Pat

Post by Pat »

The best claim was combining 120fps at 1080p on dual HDMI outputs.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:Like who? Is anyone that daft? I only remember people like Pilon or Candy Arse bagging out the 360 titles, and they were definitely joking. Seriously, what Sony fanboy thought that the PS3 was going to do 120fps at 1080p?
People like lambchop. People who bought into the hype that Sony delivered. At GAF, it's all fanboys that buy into hype on all platforms.

Places like this have been fine... and at GAF the Xbox/Wii fanboys use the 120fps against Sony when shit like Motorstorm is unable to even run at 30fps solid.

People thought the Cell was going to be some revolutionary chip that absolutely slaughtered the Xbox 360.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

where is lambchop?
mech

Post by mech »

I don't recall lambchop ever posting about the 120fps thing. Seriously dude, the TV can't even display that framerate, I think you've just mixed up some jokey replies.

Playnow and now Games-Ranch are some of the most pro-Xbox forums on the internet, as if there were people other than lambchop on there saying how Cell would slaughter the 360. I believe I was one of the main ones who was bagging out the 360 for some of the cuts to its CPU, but even I've been turned around and pleasantly surprised at what devs have gotten out of the machine (much like the Gamecube actually). I never compared it to Cell though, because I just don't get Cell.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

mech wrote: Playnow and now Games-Ranch are some of the most pro-Xbox forums on the internet
We are very smart gamers, that's why
mech

Post by mech »

Obviously not if you're happy to miss out on some of the awesome games that are Sony exclusive.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

mech wrote:I don't recall lambchop ever posting about the 120fps thing. Seriously dude, the TV can't even display that framerate, I think you've just mixed up some jokey replies.

Playnow and now Games-Ranch are some of the most pro-Xbox forums on the internet, as if there were people other than lambchop on there saying how Cell would slaughter the 360. I believe I was one of the main ones who was bagging out the 360 for some of the cuts to its CPU, but even I've been turned around and pleasantly surprised at what devs have gotten out of the machine (much like the Gamecube actually). I never compared it to Cell though, because I just don't get Cell.
I'm not saying that this forum or PN was one of the forums that was like that. I know we're very Pro-Xbox... and also very multi-console oriented.

Bigger forums though... like GAF are full of lambchop style guys.
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:Obviously not if you're happy to miss out on some of the awesome games that are Sony exclusive.
I think you need to make up for your negative SoTC comments, mech :D

There will always be good stuff on all of them though. I reckon as PS3 and Wii get an online stup going, youll find a shift towards those two as well, and less overall xbox bias. The fact that most people here who are most vocal about games are xbox live users says it all, really.
mech

Post by mech »

I love SoTC. Shush.

And there will always be good stuff on all. That's why I'm an unbiased gamer and have everything.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

mech wrote:I love SoTC. Shush.

And there will always be good stuff on all. That's why I'm an unbiased gamer and have everything that reviewers tell me to buy.
fixed.
Pat

Post by Pat »

mech wrote:I love SoTC. Shush.

And there will always be good stuff on all. That's why I'm an unbiased gamer and have everything.
Unbias isnt about playing them all though. It's about not hating on things because theyre on another system.