shmup thread (formelly Raiden IV on 360)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat
The Fury

Re: shmup thread (formelly Raiden IV on 360)

Post by Pat »

I like that this thread has jumped up again.

Thinking of grabbing raiden fighters aces if it comes to pal (zavvi has it as coming early next year?)

What shmups on xbla are worthwhile?

I see that bangai-o, radiant silvergun are both coming soon and ikaruga is up. Any others worth considering?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

I don't have too many on xbla, maybe Ikaruga and Triggerheart Exelica, but Guwange is out now too.

Anyway, I read that the black label of daifukkatsu is going to be released two ways. One via dlc a la mushihimesama and the other as a standalone disc release, which includes an arrange mode which the dlc does not. That arrange mode essentially being Ketsuipachi, if you will, a cross between dodonpachi and ketsui! Sounds interesting... looks like it will be a bit cheaper than your usual cave release.

Reading the respective shmup forums to find out this information just reminded me of how fucking irritating shmup fans of the "hardcore" persuasion are. Even between different forums there is so much elitism that it is just frustrating to read, especially when they say shit like how they will happily pay massive $$ for the limited ddp dfk, and the dlc bl, and the disc bl because the love cave so much! ffs love cave as much as you want but dont encourage their continued bullshit pricing for their le's! Most of the time it's a remix music disc and different artwork that differs! (which is enough to make them blow their load i might add). Stuff like hoping for lack of region free releases so that their exclusive little club won't be ruined by new players wanting to get in to shmups... ffs maybe if more players purchased future releases wouldn't be so expensive..

I swear though some of these guys sound like they will happily suck the cocks of cave employees given half the chance. :rolleyes:

Dont get me wrong I enjoy caves shooters and the shmup genre but the shmup community is something I will continue to steer away from unless it's for information.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well after my last vitriol filled post I'll add something a bit different lol

Decided to grab the disc version of black label daifukkatsu, in the mail so hoping for late next week. This is more like how their releases should be priced ;)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Got the mushi mushi pork/pink sweets pack the other day (region free for those looking to take a stab at shmups, double pack not a bad start), took a gamble and just ordered regular edition but snagged one with the dlc card for the matsuri edition unlock. Only played a touch but so ridiculous and light hearted, nice change from some of the more military themed shmups I've been having a crack at lately.

Was a little bummed that only after my order had shipped from playza I discovered that a bunch of people went via amiami for aignificantly cheaper, and even now the limited version is about what I paid to get the regular for playza! Might have to keep them in mind for any future Japanese release games/junk.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Got mine too, haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

Don't forget Akai Katana Shin (Red Sword) is also around the corner. This ones a horizontal though with enhanced 16:9 visuals. JAP360 keeps on delivering.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Jamestown:
It's set on a colonised Mars in 1619. What more do you need to know?
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Yeah, there's not much to dislike there. Neat trailer.

Also, I have a copy of Deathsmiles here at the moment and I don't know what the fuck's going on. I think it has something to do with underage sex. Back to Ikaruga. I'm fine with casual racism.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Radiant Silvergun on the horizon.

Time for you pussies to harden the fuck up and play a real game!
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Did Raiden Fighters Aces ever come out in PAL? I ordered it from thehut in February and it still hasn't arrived yet.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Delays after delays.

Over at the shmups forum they are saying there are apparently some issues with who owns the rights to release it and/or issues with the submission process at Microsoft.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Read that DoDonPachi Ressurection is getting a localized release after all! Will be a deluxe one with soundtrack cd thrown in, pretty cool. Nice to see that through the rare localized title and region free releases you can still take a stab at some vertical shooters without needing a foreign console. :)
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Death Smiles is on Games on Demand for $30 :o
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Fuck. I paid about that for the disc version.

DoDonPachi I will pay massive amounts of money for, though. So addictive on iOS.
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

Just got an email from thehut.com saying my pre-ordered Dodonpachi Resurrection has shipped, can't wait.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Does the demand version of deathsmiles have the slowdown removed like they did to the US one? That was one of the biggest complaints I heard when they localized it.
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

The on-disc PAL version has the slowdown, I'd assume this one is the same.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Megaman wrote:Just got an email from thehut.com saying my pre-ordered Dodonpachi Resurrection has shipped, can't wait.
Oh shit. How much? Any kind of limited edition or regular?

I hope there's an easyish mode like the iPhone one.
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

Cost me 23 pounds, which is $40 maybe? I have no idea about features - I loved the arcade Donpachi and Dodonpachi games so I pre-ordered as soon as I found it was coming out. It still hasn't come out in he US so there weren't many details about it on the net when I did look.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Yeah, I just had a look and it's on OzGameShop for around $35. I'm not sure how bullet hell shooters work with a vanilla 360 controller, but it should definitely be worth a look in.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Heh, Deathsmiles is even listed in the game menu as Deathsmiles (PAL) lol, guess they wanted to make it obvious. Pleased to discover that it comes with Mega Black Label straight up, especially when from memory if you bought the NTSC-J version it was DLC for about the price I paid for Deathsmiles on demand! Awse.

I think DoDonPachi is only released as a deluxe version which includes the soundtrack. Although it could be like some previous Cave releases where the first print has the soundtrack and subsequent releases do not. A bit rich they are promoting the Black Label DLC as available at launch as a yay thing... just put it on the fucking disc! I wonder if the DLC includes the Ketsui arrange though, as the DLC black label in japan did not have it, only the disc black label.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Ben wrote:Heh, Deathsmiles is even listed in the game menu as Deathsmiles (PAL) lol, guess they wanted to make it obvious. Pleased to discover that it comes with Mega Black Label straight up, especially when from memory if you bought the NTSC-J version it was DLC for about the price I paid for Deathsmiles on demand! Awse.
My boxed UK one comes with it, too :)
Megaman
a bad sheriff

Post by Megaman »

Shaneus wrote:
Megaman wrote:Just got an email from thehut.com saying my pre-ordered Dodonpachi Resurrection has shipped, can't wait.
Oh shit. How much? Any kind of limited edition or regular?

I hope there's an easyish mode like the iPhone one.
Got it today, says on the back of the box it has 'novice mode'.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Under Defeat HD comes out next month, looking forward to it as I missed it when on DC :( apparently te limited version has a bonus disc in dreamcast-esque packaging, not sure if I'll bother limited but cool nonetheless. This time for once it's not just 360 owners that get a slice of the Shmup pie as its getting a ps3 release too. Read about an additional mode that uses 16x9 in full and controls like a twin stick shooter a la geo wars, sounds interesting!!
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

For those who haven't jumped on the PAL shmups bandwagon yet and like to have physical copies of the games they own.

Picked up both Dodonpachi and Deathsmiles for a total of around $50 with shipping from the same ebay seller. Have the JAP Ntsc versions but just couldn't resist this.

Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition Sealed XBOX 360 AU $21.99

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dodonpachi-R ... 2eba5be765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deathsmiles Deluxe Edition Sealed Game New Xbox 360 AU $7.99

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Deathsmiles- ... 2ebac8c524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

For those with access to XBLIG you need this..

Orbitron: Revolution

Only 240 Allards. It's basically a modern version of Defender without the hyperspace or you could even compare it to Uridium on the C64. It has 3 game modes, Normal, Survival and one of those timed 3 min runs like in Geometry Wars. Honestly, the most polished Indie game I'm seen for the price, amazing. The replay mode is very impressive too, something that didn't need to be there but is. XBL leaderboards too.

It's not that hard to get access to XBLIG. If you buy your points cards online then it's no different, but you just need to create for a diff account such as a UK account or US account then purchase points for said account. Voila. (You may even be able to use one of those pre paid debit cards but don't quote me on that).
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.