shmup thread (formelly Raiden IV on 360)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Mk2 wrote:Benjamin, is Triggerheart Excelica worth whatever price they're asking on XBLA? I'm playing the demo and kind of enjoying it but I can't figure out if there's more to the anchor system than just holding the button when there's heaps of bullets on screen to turn them into points.
Well I guess it's only $13.20, I've spent more on worse :D

Check what setting you have the anchor set to though, as there is auto and manual. Auto mode starts spinning the enemy you've locked on to as soon as you anchor on to it, manual holds the enemy still until you start rotating it yourself (done by holding down shot button whilst an enemy is anchored and then start to spin the dpad/analogue either direciton).

Personally I find manual much better because once you anchor an enemy if you don't touch the shot button it will just be drawn directly in front of you and you can use it like a shield, or just take it up to another group of enemies and release and it should cause a chain reaction. And yeah any bullets that hit an enemy you have anchored gets turned into score. On the flipside though, auto is good because of the instant spin you can throw the anchored enemy across a bunch of other enemies, but I don't know if anchored enemies only spin one way or not which could limit where you can throw a little bit.

Also one thing I took a while to pick up on (I'm not sure if it's documented in game anywhere) is that if you hold down the shot button whilst there is medals on the screen, the longer you hold the shot button the more valuable the medals become, they will grow larger and larger until you release the shot button to draw them in, or until they fall off screen.
Muzza wrote:Getting so pumped for this game now.

Excellent news on the scanline option. Have seen plenty of other options to play with too.

Just be careful Ben to download the Black Label content, you will probably need to set up a JAP account and purchase some points from PA
Yeah I know! All of the superplay options look pretty cool, how about the 5-screen one all slightly behind the last.. lol I'm not quite sure what that is for though :P

And yeah as for the Black Label, if I do down the track invest in that (though wasn't Death Smiles Black Label like 1200 points?! I find it hard to pay that much for some XBLA games haha) I've already got a Japanese account set up so it should be all gravy :D
Last edited by Ben on 25 Nov 2009 09:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Just got shipping confirmation from PA. 8) :up:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Muzza wrote:Just got shipping confirmation from PA. 8) :up:
Ahhh damn you! Mine is allocated now but still waiting for shipping. Though I did only go with snail mail in the end so probably wont see it for a week or two anyway haha.
edit: woo! mine shipped last night in the end :) Fingers crossed for next week but realistically i'll probably see it the week after that.
Mk2

Post by Mk2 »

Ben wrote:Also one thing I took a while to pick up on (I'm not sure if it's documented in game anywhere) is that if you hold down the shot button whilst there is medals on the screen, the longer you hold the shot button the more valuable the medals become, they will grow larger and larger until you release the shot button to draw them in, or until they fall off screen.
Oh, I didn't know that. At first I was doing that but then I realised that by hammering the button I would get a steady stream of the points flying toward me. So holding the button works out to be worth more than the constant stream of small points? I'll try that out and see how I go.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/BuG%20vBi.png[/img] [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x/][img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x.png[/img][/url]
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Mk2 wrote:
Ben wrote:Also one thing I took a while to pick up on (I'm not sure if it's documented in game anywhere) is that if you hold down the shot button whilst there is medals on the screen, the longer you hold the shot button the more valuable the medals become, they will grow larger and larger until you release the shot button to draw them in, or until they fall off screen.
Oh, I didn't know that. At first I was doing that but then I realised that by hammering the button I would get a steady stream of the points flying toward me. So holding the button works out to be worth more than the constant stream of small points? I'll try that out and see how I go.
Yeah sometimes it's better to let a few drop off screen so that the rest of them can get bigger, but other times the opposite might work better, depends on the situation.

One cool thing you can do with the anchor set to manual btw, is if you get a really big enemy captured and you're fairly safe behind it, you can stay still and hold down the shot button as well any bullets that collide with the enemy will also be getting bigger, and then you can just release and hold down the shot button to make them bigger/draw them in at your leisure. Though you can only do it for so long as when used as a shield the enemies don't have as much life. A good example of this is the big blue ship that comes in from the right hand side about 1/2 way through the first level, cause just after you capture that one there is a bunch of stationary tanks that shoot a shitload, and once they kill it, it explodes and kills them :D

Back to Mushihimesama though, I'm getting a little worried about the inclusion of the 1.01 DLC cards. Apparently they are supposed to be in all first print copies either limited or normal version, yet I've read some people that have pre-ordered from Play-Asia as early as the end of August received no DLC cards (and they ordered 2x copies), and on the flipside someone who pre-ordered on 19th of October received a DLC card. It seems you actually get them within the case and behind the manual though, so it's weird that there are even any copies at all without the DLC card.

I guess it's not really a huge issue but if you went out of your way to pre-order in reasonable advance you'd want to get the bonus. Well, I'll know when I get it though, fingers crossed!
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Received my Limited Edition copy today, will crack it open shortly. Most shmup fans who have played the arcade pcb are saying its a fantastic port.

Also got myself a poster of said game too.

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Good job on getting it Muzza - I saw it got released the other day, it will have to be a December pick up for me because I am completely tapped for cash atm.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Got this response from Playza when asking if I'd get the 1.01 card (I basically asked if I pre-ordered early enough to get it);
Dear Ben,

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

I am sorry that our Customer Support Team does not have the information on
that as we work separately from the Shipping Department.

However, the card is in limited amount. Therefore, it may not be
included.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Michelle
Play-Asia.com
I love Play-Asia and all but fuck they give no answer replies all the time >_<
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Going by past experience I really expected my copy of Mushi to have arrived last week, but alas it did not :(

Hopefully early next week, and also hoping that I managed to get a copy with the 1.01 card. Apparently Playza have admitted to their cock-up and were just shipping all copies out randomly, not realising there was a difference. I have to call a little bit of bullshit on that though, there's a sticker on the case indicating whether or not the copy has a DLC card.. but anyway.

In other news apparently the Black Label DLC is out already! 1200 points though ($19.80) -_-; From what I've read it clocks in at about 220ishMB, but it kind shits me that it got released so close to the actual game. I get that they want to make money but it feels steep paying that much for DLC just on two weeks after the game was released. One awesome thing about the DLC is that Cave has made it available for all-regions, you can purchase it on your Australian account with your Australian points :D It would be cool if the Black Label contained 1.01 but I don't think it's the case.

Word is it also introduces some weird stutter to the gameplay (across all modes, 1.5, black label etc) but it can be got around by installing and it's hardly a large install.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

Muzza wrote:Received my Limited Edition copy today, will crack it open shortly. Most shmup fans who have played the arcade pcb are saying its a fantastic port.

:drool:
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Awesome, awesome game. Such variety for a shmup game. Can't get enough of this game.

Mushi caters for everyone to novice players to super hardcore players who can do anything. Up to 5 different types of game modes each one with different scoring mechanics and bullet patterns to grasp your head around.

I won't be buying the Black Label DLC just yet, until I'm satisfied with my 1.5 progression, but from what I've read its a MUST! Dying to try the insane God Mode.

Xbox 360 is up there with my Sega Saturn as shmup console of choice.

There's even talk now of Death Smiles getting localized, hopefully not just the U.S. as was the case with Raiden IV and Raiden Fighters.
Pariah wrote:
Muzza wrote:Received my Limited Edition copy today, will crack it open shortly. Most shmup fans who have played the arcade pcb are saying its a fantastic port.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5106/cimg0150zv.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:drool:
:up:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well it appears all my worrying was for naught! My standard edition copy arrived today and it contained the DLC card :D

I haven't actually played Futari before so it's taking some getting used to the system to start with, then I'm going to have to suss out the scoring. Mind you I don't know how much 1.5 differs from Arrange and Novice, let alone 1.01...
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Anyone played Soldner X on PS3/PC? Reviews are a mixed bag yet it looks good.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well I'm slowly getting better at Mushihimesama Futari. I think I'll be a little while off 1CC'ing even original mode but I'm definitely improving.

I think my top score in original mode is about 57 million now, from memory it was with Abnormal Reco, though I've managed to get just below that with Normal Reco. Haven't put a whole lot of time in with either of the Palm shot types but I find it much easier with his abnormal shot type.. just seems to be a lot stronger.

I've probably been using Normal Reco the most so far, because it's a pretty good combo, slow moving powerful direct shot, and a wide spreadfire shot, pretty good character for someone new to the game to start on. And the spreadfire definitely helps me in the third stage which is just about always where I get tripped up. One thing that surprised me in switching from Normal to Abnormal Reco is how few people must actually use the abnormal Reco, as on the Abnormal Reco-only leaderboard, I'm ranked like 100, and I'm far from top 100 material haha.

I surprise myself how far I can make it with Abnormal Reco sometimes though, because of the need to lock on her extra beetle companions for her stronger shot, you need to get right in close to the opponent and sometimes it gets pretty hairy trying to get in real close, I guess the trade-off of getting a speed boost though helps to counteract that..

I think I might go play some more lol..
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

My game GOTY 2009.

I'm currently using Normal Reco when I'm playing for score and Abnormal Palm when playing for 1CC.

Your right about stage 3... After the mid-boss things get hectic. I can get through the 1st and 2nd stages without losing a life and bombing but after the stage 3 mid-boss, I bomb when I desperately need to. Also bombing doesn't drop your scoring chain as much as dying. I'm currently working on a pattern to get myself through the stage without dying.

Current high-score is around 55mill dying at 3rd stage boss, trying to keep my chain up with as little bombing as possible. Scoring breakdown for 1st Stage - 16mill and 2nd Stage - 38million , had to bomb once on the 2nd phase of the 2nd stage boss.

When going for score and chaining I always try to stay as close to the enemy as possible when destroyed as the larger gems will have a green aura around them with a much larger point value

When going for 1cc, Abnormal Palm is my character of choice. With no regard to score I can get about halfway through Stage 4 before I lose the plot.

Ben have you tried Ultra Mode, man that is some nasty shit right there?
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

On my best runs (no death stage 1/2) my score breakdown is very similar to yours hehe. I just about always need to bomb the second phase of the second boss, I try to dodge as much as I can but then he throws out the crazy interweaving purple bullets and I freak out and have to hit bomb lol

Furthest I've made it so far now is up to the stage 4 mid-boss with a 60million score, Normal Reco. Slowly getting better!

I haven't made any specific 1cc attempts yet, because often I can't help myself from scoring when I first start out. I'm getting a bit more gutsy and hovering near the top of the screen on the first level so that I can get the most green aura gems.. and sometimes it leads to stupid deaths aha. I think I might make it my next challenge though.

Haha, I've briefly tried out Ultra mode but I can barely get a couple of slightly larger enemies in before I'm either dead or bombing like mad :lol: Manic mode I fare a bit better in, I think I've gone as far as the stage 2 boss, but it's probably still a bit above me yet. There's really only one way to learn though! It's awesome seeing the different bullet patterns and different attacks in the higher difficulties as compared to the patterns that I'm used to so far in original. (Ultra Arrange I've almost 1cc, but that's a whole different kettle of fish :lol: reflecting is so much fun though!)

I also CAVEd and bough Black Label... it's awesome fun so far! It definitely feels easier in spots because of the combined shot types and power boost, and also not needing to change shot type every 500 gems (every 3000 now), but it definitely has it's harder bits too with altered enemy placements, amounts, and bullet patterns. It also just looks a little different, I remember reading that the colour palette was supposed to be darker for stages 3 & 5, but even in stages 1 & 2 I've noticed slight visual changes. It might only be a hue change for the first two levels but there is definitely something visually different.

Managed to make it to the stage 4 boss in original black label mode (with Reco) which is cool, and scoring about 110million to boot! Though the score racks up a shitload faster in BL.

Haven't experienced any of the BL stutter yet, hoping I don't at all, but I understand Cave is working on a fix anyway.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Ben wrote: I also CAVEd and bough Black Label... it's awesome fun so far! It definitely feels easier in spots because of the combined shot types and power boost, and also not needing to change shot type every 500 gems (every 3000 now), but it definitely has it's harder bits too with altered enemy placements, amounts, and bullet patterns. It also just looks a little different, I remember reading that the colour palette was supposed to be darker for stages 3 & 5, but even in stages 1 & 2 I've noticed slight visual changes. It might only be a hue change for the first two levels but there is definitely something visually different.
I chuckled.

Definitely want to get Black Label(Is it as good as I'm reading about?) but told myself to 1cc 1.5 original first. But with 1.5, Arrange and 1.01 modes , I'm hoping to not cave like you did, just yet! :up:
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

While I'm loving Black Label it still stings a little that we have to pay 1200 points for it, I reckon especially since it was released I think 2 weeks after the game itself it feels like something they could have patched in (as they said they were trying to get Black Label in for release initially). I guess my gripe comes from how great some XBLA releases have been at even only 800 points, but ultimately the alternative to a 1200 point add on is a $2000US~ PCB + arcade cabinet + whatever else you need to get it all going. When you look at it that way it's a bargain.

It is great fun though, I wonder how much of it stems from the fact that I've managed to get further in Black Label, but then I also wonder if I'm actually getting better or just having an easier time with Black Label.. still going to keep at my 1.5 scores though, I will strive for a 1cc!
Last edited by Ben on 04 Jan 2010 09:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

t0mby wrote:Anyone played Soldner X on PS3/PC? Reviews are a mixed bag yet it looks good.
Thread about it

Basically, I thought it looked great but lacked a little something and was very difficult.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Haha Twit, was going to post in here about it earlier but it was over run by those other two and didn't want to ruin the thread (Me, ruin threads? Never!)

But yeah, I caved and bought it the other week, looks the shit but something about it doesn't grab me. Will give it a few more goes.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Tomby mate , the more people that talk about shmups the better. Would love to have more GR members interested in the genre.

Had my first real sit down with Futari in a week or so and managed new hi-scores with both Palm and Reco on 1.5 Original

Normal Reco 71.5mill beginning of stage 4 and 66mill with Abnormal Palm at the end of stage 3.

Getting the hang of Stage 3 now, and using the slowdown to my advantage, plus with a new route I'm taking, is making things a lot easier. Stage 3 boss is still a bitch though.

Love this game.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Muzza wrote:Tomby mate , the more people that talk about shmups the better. Would love to have more GR members interested in the genre.
Muzza, bud, you're in my bad books after I learnt you had 4 sealed copies of Shenmue 2.

j/k :D

On a serious note, I love a good shmup but where is that fucking XBLA version of the PSX vertical shoot em up? Can't remember the name of it, you get lock ons and combos and shit. Think it may have been JP/US NTSC only but could be wrong. There was a video of it posted here earlier somewhere.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Nm, saw it by mistake on the Jap PSN Store, it's called Raystorm.

Now to work out how to put points on my other PSN accounts.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well apparently the regular version of Espgaluda II is region free, and the limited is region locked :lol:

Apparently Cave didn't have enough time to submit the special edition for region-free-ness.

Had to cancel my order that I'd had sitting there for ages the other day as my CC got skimmed and thus cancelled (from an ATM) so I didn't want Playza to charge a non-existent CC. I'm not too worried though, means I miss the pre-order soundtrack bonus but I'm not too worried.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

hey muzza...ive got an ls32 and ls40 coming in the mail...

going to put one in my t.e stick and the other in my s.e...

what do you like about Seimitsu sticks over sanwa??
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]