shmup thread (formelly Raiden IV on 360)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Pariah wrote:hey muzza...ive got an ls32 and ls40 coming in the mail...

going to put one in my t.e stick and the other in my s.e...

what do you like about Seimitsu sticks over sanwa??
I just prefer the Seimitsus shorter throw distance and tighter/stiffer controls compared to the Sanwas, especially when it comes to shmups/bullet hell shooters as it gives me more precise quick twitch movements for those types of games.

I did prefer my Sanwa stick for fighters, but I'm finding myself using my Seimetsu stick more for those too.
Ben wrote:Well apparently the regular version of Espgaluda II is region free, and the limited is region locked :lol:

Apparently Cave didn't have enough time to submit the special edition for region-free-ness.

Had to cancel my order that I'd had sitting there for ages the other day as my CC got skimmed and thus cancelled (from an ATM) so I didn't want Playza to charge a non-existent CC. I'm not too worried though, means I miss the pre-order soundtrack bonus but I'm not too worried.
Ben, the first print-run of the standard edition Espgaluda II will also come with the soundtrack, so you may just get lucky if you order one.
Mk2

Post by Mk2 »

On the XBL Indie Games channel there is a new game by the Weapon of Choice guy(s). It's called Shoot1UP and basically it's a vertical shmup with the hook being that each 1UP is instantly granted to you in the form of an extra controllable ship. You can control up to 30 at once and 60 can be on screen during co-op play.

GAF has a thread on it and also links to two gameplay videos:
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/BuG%20vBi.png[/img] [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x/][img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x.png[/img][/url]
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Intersting. Does Aussie have the Indie games channel on xbl? I know NZ doesn't.
Mk2

Post by Mk2 »

No, we don't have it either. The only way to get around it is to make an international account (US is probably easiest. Beverly Hills, 90210, CA and all that) and then add points to it using one of those sites selling MS point cards.

In practice the 30 ships are essentially one single ship with upgrades, but using LT and RT to expand and contract the ships' formation makes for interesting gameplay.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/BuG%20vBi.png[/img] [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x/][img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/xMk2x.png[/img][/url]
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Yeah, I've got Indie games on my main t0mby 360 account as it's a UK one. I bought a game called Beat Hazard, it's like Geometry Wars but it streams music from your media centre. It was pretty cheap, only 400 points and it keeps scores for each song and overall score for each album too.
There are a few shoot em ups. Biology Battle is another good one as well and very well polished. Again though, another GW/Mutant Storm style clone.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Downloaded this cool little shoot em up off XBLA Indie Games for a fucking bargain of only 80mps, yes, 80!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

Fuck you and your indie games.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Well I haven't played enough of the 360 version to know quite how different it is, but the iphone version of espgaluda ii is fucking wicked! I was a little bit skeptical as to how well touch controls would work but itsvery responsive and easy to play. Oddly I've found myself leaning toward opposite controls than normal, using right thumb for movement rather than the left, but I think this is more the touch controls than anything else, right thumb just seems more adept at very fine movements - swap back to a tactile controller and left thumb had the advantage... Weird
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Raystorm HD is out on XBLA but it's a whopping 1200 points and reviews have come across as mediocre. Was looking forward to it but now I don't now. Maybe if they have a 50% deal a few months down the line.
Pariah
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ
Street Fighter HD Remix Champ

Post by Pariah »

wtf is it was almost all new games on xbla being 1200 points...fucking hate that

at least final fight double impact was 800 points and it had more content than most of this other shit on xbla...

shmups are already a small genre why outprice yourself??? at least at 800 you have more of a chance of selling to randoms who see the price and pick it up on a whim...
[img]http://i30.tinypic.com/5as8eq.gif[/img]
Ben
Southpoor

Re: shmup thread (formelly Raiden IV on 360)

Post by Ben »

Just saw on playza that you can preorder DoDonPachi Ressurection for 360! Damn might have to import a 360 after all!
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Already done. Love my Jap 360.

360 screenshots.
ImageImage

Also cave are releasing a Pink Sweets & Muchi Muchi Pork bundle for Xbox 360!!!!! :run:

And Raiden Fighters Aces will be getting a PAL release to apparently, no Idea what the quality of the conversion will be like! Jap version is perfect.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Finally caved and ordered an Asian slim 360 (220v so no stepdown!), also ordered Ketsui limited, No More Heroes, Raiden IV, and pre-ordered DoDonPachi Ressurection! :D woot! Should have the 360 towards the end of the week if I'm lucky, and then I can slowly grow my shmup collection a bit more, and collection in general now I can get those cheaper english ntsc-j only asian releases :P
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Ben wrote:Finally caved and ordered an Asian slim 360 (220v so no stepdown!), also ordered Ketsui limited, No More Heroes, Raiden IV, and pre-ordered DoDonPachi Ressurection! :D woot! Should have the 360 towards the end of the week if I'm lucky, and then I can slowly grow my shmup collection a bit more, and collection in general now I can get those cheaper english ntsc-j only asian releases :P
:up: :run: :up:

Nice pick-up mate.

Make sure you get Deathsmilles and Espgaluda 2 down the track. Both awesome ports. There's also the Black Label DLC content for Deathsmiles to get, with a couple of extra stages.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ended up tracking down Espgaluda a few months back on eBay, when I saw how easy it was to pick up a copy with the OST still I found a copy for I think about $70 shipped :D Definitely want to check out the Deathsmiles series though, but don't want to overload myself too much, nor bust the bank if I can help it but it's on my list!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Dodonpachi is up on iPhone today
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Ohh ty for the heads up!

Got my console yesterday :) only problem now is I need to remove auto booting/disc tray ejection from my logitech remote or else it turns both consoles on lol.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/111/1116974p1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The developers at Treasure sure know their way around shooters. With classics like Gunstar Heroes under their belt and the launch of Sin and Punishment: Star Successor for the Wii, Treasure has been giving gamers around the world a serious taste of action for years. Shooter fans are in luck, because the developers aren't stopping there -- Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is heading to Xbox Live Arcade this November.

A sequel of sorts to Bangai-O Spirits for the Nintendo DS, Missile Fury is meant to represent the true Bangai-O experience by offering players a wealth of levels and some of the most action-packed challenges around. I had the opportunity to play a pre-alpha version of Bangai-O HD a few weeks ago and, despite suffering death on more than one occasion, I had a great time with the game.

It should be noted that the build I was shown was very early and there's a lot that could change by the time the final game is released. But at its core, Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is a 2D shooter that puts players in control of a heavily armed robot. By using the left stick to move and the right stick to shoot, players will need to survive an absolutely insane amount of projectiles in order to clear the game's 100 or so levels.

Even in its early form, Missile Fury seems to have it all. The game comes equipped with a full level editor which will enable gamers to share their creations online with friends. There will also be the standard addition of leaderboards and more. There isn't any multiplayer to speak of, but there looks to be plenty of content to keep people busy.

Most levels have targets that need to be destroyed, which are marked on the mini-map in the corner of the screen. In order to get to those targets, some thought needs to go into solving in-game puzzles. Gates will often block the player's path, which need to be opened by triggering an explosive fuse, for example. This might sound like an easy puzzle to solve, but with hundreds of missiles on screen, there's a lot of action to keep track of.

Don't worry though; your trusty war machine has a few tricks up its cybernetic sleeve. There are three different weapon types that can be picked up during play: Bound, Break and Homing. Bound power-ups give your mech a beautiful collection of lasers, which bounce off of walls and down corridors with devastating results. Break missiles chew through enemy fire like a hot knife through butter, and Homing missiles (as you might have guessed) track nearby enemies. I originally assumed that Break missiles would always be the best choice, as their potency against incoming fire is absolutely critical in a pinch. But after playing a level that was set in very tight passages, I soon came to appreciate the Bound power-up as well.

The mech can also use a short-range dash to smash enemies, but this is only useful in close quarters. The most devastating technique the mech can employ is a super move which fills the entire screen with missiles (or lasers). This technique needs to be charged and players can't move during this charging phase, but pulling off the attack is immensely satisfying.

Bangai-O controls well and seems like a lot of fun, from what I've seen so far. I love how much happens on screen at one time and I'm equally taken with how much giant fruit needs to be picked up to keep alive (Fruit refills your health meter, obviously!). Shooter fans should keep Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury on their radar, because this action-packed downloaded has some serious potential.
Loved the DC version. Hopefully will be as good.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Despite owning a copy for the dreamcast I never really gave it good run, in HD and on xbl though I think I'll definitely be sinking. My teeth into it a bit more this time!

Also as I just learned from the edge score thread Guwange is headed to xbl soon!
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

:run: :up:

Just got home to see Radiant Silvergun announced for XBLA. The shmups just keep coming!

Time to sell my Saturn copy for half the price I got it !!
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

I'll give you $20.
Muzza
Haters can GAGF

Post by Muzza »

Hearing the music, has made me start frothing at the mouth.
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA

Post by Shaneus »

Muzza wrote:Hearing the music, has made me start frothing at the mouth.
Same! I remember the shit I had to go through to play that game... downloading of eDonkey on dialup. I think it was around 300mb, took me a month and a fucking half :lol:
THEN there was the problem of playing it on a Saturn, having to do the swap trick and the 60hz mod... worth it, though.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

d'oh
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

Dodonpachi resurrection is out now! My copy is on it's way :)