Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

American McGee's Bad Day LA

Post by GreyWizzard »

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... ov&pl=game

Looks like it could be fun :D

http://www.baddayla.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for PC and PS2
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Looks like it, but it isn't. It was panned by Edge in the latest issue.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

So you played it then huh?
mech

Post by mech »

4/10 from Edge means I don't have to to know that it's shit. That's the whole point of game reviews.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Oh okay, because you would rather someone else make up your mind for you. I get it.

I don't read reviews until after I have tried the game. I general talk to my friends about it get a feel for it. If I like what I see, I buy it. As I said, once I have given it a bit of a go, got a feel for it. I go back and read what the reviewers have said, see if I agree with them or not.

Just because someone who reviews things says it is arse doesn't mean it is. There are heaps of games out there that have been panned by critics yet loved by a large number of people. It also works the other way round too, some games get massive scores from the reviewers, yet gamers think it is a bucket of turd.
mech

Post by mech »

Oh okay, because you would rather someone else make up your mind for you. I get it.
Actually, I just don't have time to play every single thing out there, again, that's what game reviews are for.
I don't read reviews until after I have tried the game.
Why bother reading them then?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Reviews arent a rule though. If mech finds Edge scores >7 (say) are generally good for him, thats his call. Ive enjoyed games that have bad scores in mags I read (eg 5/10 in Games TM for Mario Kart DD).

There's no right or wrong way, however.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

mech wrote:
Actually, I just don't have time to play every single thing out there, again, that's what game reviews are for.
Reviews should be there to give you an idea of what the game is like. It helps you make an informed decision on if you should rent, buy, or avoid. It shouldn't be GOOD/BAD. I would rather see reviews tell me the pros and cons rather then giving me a score. Most people when reading a review with a score will go straight to the score and ignore the actual review.
mech wrote:
I don't read reviews until after I have tried the game.
Why bother reading them then?
I go back and read what the reviewers have said, see if I agree with them or not.
I want to know if, what I feel is wrong with the game has been noted by others, also the review is no longer tainted by a score because I am looking for the opinion.

The simple thing is, a review can help you make a decision, but I am going to trust a complete stranger less then my friends. I tend to like to give things the benefit of the doubt rather then write it off because some one who writes an article tells me to.
mech

Post by mech »

Well whatever. Go play Bad Day LA then. Sorry to pass on the information that it got a shit review.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

mech how on earth do you handle the real world?

i hope you don't act like this face to face
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pat

Post by Pat »

Dammit where did asmodeus' post go?
Last edited by Pat on 18 Aug 2006 06:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

selfish wrote:mech how on earth do you handle the real world?

i hope you don't act like this face to face
Err mech was being pretty civil until Grey started acting like a dick.
mech

Post by mech »

Actually I was pretty civil the whole time. Grey said something looked like it could be fun, I told him that it wasn't according to a review - a thousand pardons!

I even agreed with him that it looked like fun. So what exactly is your beef with what I said selfish?
Last edited by mech on 18 Aug 2006 06:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

mech wrote:4/10 from Edge means I don't have to to know that it's shit. That's the whole point of game reviews.
to me, that looks like the beginning of proper dickheadness - but pretending a review is TRUTH is pretty bad too.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:
mech wrote:4/10 from Edge means I don't have to to know that it's shit. That's the whole point of game reviews.
to me, that looks like the beginning of proper dickheadness - but pretending a review is TRUTH is pretty bad too.
I'm not saying it's TRUTH I'm saying that a game review from a well-respected game magazine is a pretty good indictator. I'm yet to disagree with an Edge review, they're a very fair magazine.

Edit: and for the record, Edge say in the review that it's a likeable game and has a lot of good ideas, but is let down by being overly ambitious and not being executed correctly. So there you go, even they say it "looks" like fun, but it's let down by the actual implementation.

And actually, I'm a little confused, Edge only reviews released games, but no one's reviewed this yet. What's up with that? They say they don't review pre-release stuff (I was about to say maybe the problems will be smoothed out a bit before final release).
Last edited by mech on 18 Aug 2006 06:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

mech wrote:Looks like it, but it isn't. It was panned by Edge in the latest issue.
In fact, this is a pretty aggressive post in itself. Over the top negative behaviour is pretty ridiculous, the only thing grey did wrong was fall for this bait.
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

This game doesn't look at all like fun anyway, it looks crap!
Los Angeles will experience everything unimaginable all in one day and you have a front row seat. This third person action/adventure can easily be described as revolutionary in concept, execution, play and unparalleled perspective on our daily lives. PCs all over will be windows into the hilarious disasters realized by American McGee.
Pat

Post by Pat »

The thing with Bad Day LA is that its another GTA-alike. Edge dont generally mark highly for copycats, unless there is a major departure in gameplay or something significant to distinguish a title.

4/10 means it probably does nothing new for the genre - but it still may be that the satirical story is well executed. Which is presumably the only reason to play it?
mech

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:
mech wrote:Looks like it, but it isn't. It was panned by Edge in the latest issue.
In fact, this is a pretty aggressive post in itself. Over the top negative behaviour is pretty ridiculous, the only thing grey did wrong was fall for this bait.
You think THAT post was aggressive? I'd hate to think how you read my posts. That was as neutral as they come. How would you have said it?

"Hey man :) Yeah I agree, the game does look great, but unfortunately it got a bit of a bad review in the latest edge :( :( :( Oh well, maybe they were wrong :) you're great btw!"
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

to be honest, it's not so much what you said as how you said it - why not try and be a little less negative about everything so constantly.

you didn't agree with him about anything - you said what you said about as bluntly as possible, and it came across as quite offensive. how would i have said it?

"well yeah i thought it looked good too, but according to edge it sucks the penis"

instead of

"no. you're wrong. edge says you're wrong."

you don't see any difference in tone?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well Eurogamer dont seem to much like it either.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mech

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:to be honest, it's not so much what you said as how you said it - why not try and be a little less negative about everything so constantly.

you didn't agree with him about anything - you said what you said about as bluntly as possible, and it came across as quite offensive. how would i have said it?

"well yeah i thought it looked good too, but according to edge it sucks the penis"

instead of

"no. you're wrong. edge says you're wrong."

you don't see any difference in tone?
I didn't say "no. you're wrong"

I said "Looks like it [could be fun], but it isn't. It was panned by Edge in the latest review". Get it yet? I thought this game looked good in previews. Have you figured out that it's just your bias against me that you're reading there, and nothing I actually said? I'm pretty sick of these baseless attacks from you and Grey.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

the statement "Looks like it, but it isn't" is not any any way positive or in agreeance with what was previously said.

The simple thing is, you have made up your mind based on a review without actually giving the game a chance. As stated here:
mech wrote:4/10 from Edge means I don't have to to know that it's shit.
You don't like the game, I get that. It was obvious to me you hadn't played it, or even bothered with the game. You weren't agreeing with me in the initial statement in any way.

Let's just say, you don't like the game, and you aren't going to bother with it because you take a review as gospel.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Poor mech will start writing essays explaining his point of view and people will still jump down his throat for no reason.

:?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
mech

Post by mech »

I know eh?

"Looks like it could be fun"

"Looks like it, but..."

"THAT IS NOT IN ANY WAY POSITIVE OR IN AGREEANCE WITH WHAT WAS PREVIOUSLY SAID"

Riiight.