My 360 impressions - welcome to last week/month/year

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So I've got Chromehounds and FFS the machine doesn't seem to like reading the disc. I'm constantly getting punted out to the dashboard being told I need to clean the disc when it's already spotless.

The other games I've played, including RENTAL games, have worked fine.

WHAT THE FUCK
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Halo 3 is coming.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Unfortunately I can't pick which games work and which games don't. If some crappy game like DOA4 or Halo 3 didn't work I wouldn't give a shit, but instead it's Chomehounds, serious GOTY contender and 10000x better game than Prey.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The fucking disc drive deteriorated hardcore today, so I've returned the original machine and now have a new one. A pal at EB assisted me with getting as much info as possible over to the new HDD and all I'm short of in that regard are the Marketplace demos which I'm now getting again.

However now the fucking controller isn't working! I press the guide button and where normally it would register on the ring of light, the light on the pad keeps flashing. FFS it was working just this afternoon before I took the old machine back!

OK I've figured out the control issue. I'm fucked for my PGR3 and Chromehounds saves, but at least I don't appear to have lost my 40 hour Oblivion crusade.

Let the 360 experience resume. With any luck I'll be able to play some Chromehounds tonight online. :up:
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

You should have kicked up a stink and just demanded to transplant your HDD to the new system, that's what I did for my failing 360 (and my brother too).

Mech, AFAIK Kameo is 30, maybe some parts are 60 though (I watched someone playing it for the most part so my memory isn't the best) but I know for sure action levels are 30.

It's just that unlike almost every other 360 game you would have played at the same time as Kameo, the game has NO slowdown and no massive motion blur.

Edit - On the topic of DOA4, it's a very nice looking fighter but it has some severe shortcomings.

No lighting system at all makes everything seem a bit dull, really bad texture filtering makes things quite shimmery at times, cloth physics that just don't work alot of the time (especialy on the hair). It's so easily identifiable as a next gen game because it has incredible texture work (especialy on the clothes seriously checkout Hayabusas head gear or Christies jacket) and poly counts but it's lacking in alot of other areas.

The art direction can't make up for the shimmery textures, or the use of really ugly 2D grass/bushes in some stages.

On the other hand it's very very fun to pickup and play and online is great, and even with all those issues it looks pretty fucking good if you ask me.
Last edited by Sonic Jam on 26 Aug 2006 06:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Yep, that 360 quality control is certainly awesome, much bettar than Sony's.

re: Kameo I'll have to check it out again, I thought it was 60 though :/ It's looks great, whatever the framerate is, so fricking rock solid.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

Kameo is still my pick for best looking next gen game all this time after launch, so much amazing looking stuff in that game never a framerate problem at all.

Just talking to a mate on MSN and he reckons some sections are def 60fps, but others are 30... Meh I'm not gonna go through it again to find out for sure, maybe in a few months.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

You should grab that new Test Drive demo. I'm not sure why people think it's crap - looked reasonably fun to me. Did some free roaming, a time trial and a race, then went to the beach and did donuts with some other people (pity you get reset as soon as you touch water). Someone challenged me so we marked out a course and had a couple races. Good fun.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

However now the fucking controller isn't working! I press the guide button and where normally it would register on the ring of light, the light on the pad keeps flashing. FFS it was working just this afternoon before I took the old machine back!
Candy you have to press the connect button on the machine and controller all over again for it work on the new machine.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Twit wrote:You should grab that new Test Drive demo. I'm not sure why people think it's crap - looked reasonably fun to me.
Yeah, I don't mind TDU at all.
I still had the E3 demo on my machine, so I played both and made some comparisons. The new demo is overall a far more polished product. The graphics are a lot sharper, the load times are shorter, the motion blur is a LOT less.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep I figured that out just after I posted that message pre-edit.

I lost the following - PGR3, Chromehounds, DOA4 saves. Pile of demos. Texas Hold 'em, SF2 HF

Didn't lose thank goodness - Oblivion save. I've already regained all my lost Chromehounds stuff, redownloaded SF2 and Poker and have some demos lined up again. Not Just Cause however. I can live without that.

The new machine runs a little more quiet than the previous unit. Manufacturing date = 25/7 as opposed to mid-May for unit 1.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

You could of kept the original hard drive and just swapped the unit around. That way you wouldn't have lost all your saves. I know thats what a lot of people do and ms are cool about it.

If the new unit runs a bit quieter chances are you have a samsung drive. Which imo is the the better drive to own.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Thread revival for some more XB360 love.

Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited are both absolutely fucking insanely good.

Now I think about it, the 360 is having a sensational first year, with so far: COD2, PGR3, Oblivion, Dead Rising, TDU.

The only thing I'd really like to see at the mo is a classic traditional 2D shooter on XBLA. R-Type PLEASE (even 2, Leo or Delta)? Raiden? Gradius? Salamander? Darius? Gradius? Xevious? ThunderForce III? Ray Storm? Armed Formation F? GunHED (Blazing Lazers)? Truxton? Zero Wing? Gynoug?
Last edited by Twiztid Elf on 24 Sep 2006 06:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

is anyone else getting viva pinata?
looks very kiddy bit I just remember getting into chao raising in SA/2 so I might like it.
Pat

Post by Pat »

You should play Animal Crossing too.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

no
Pat

Post by Pat »

:laugh: I'm serious though - Viva Pinata is basically the same concept.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

perhaps you haven't noticed... i'm a 360 fanboy
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

TDU is fucking awesome. Picked it up on thursday from the inpressions posted on here. Can't say that I regret this purchase.... Is Forza still listed for release in Nov?
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

Kreghor wrote:TDU is fucking awesome. Picked it up on thursday from the inpressions posted on here. Can't say that I regret this purchase.... Is Forza still listed for release in Nov?
Nope. Looks like February next year assuming it's not delayed again. It's a pity as it was my most anticpated game this year. The only other games i want that badly are GTA4, Halo 3 and the Half-Life 2 next-gen port.
Kreghor
XBL ID: Kreghor

Post by Kreghor »

mxlegend99 wrote:
Kreghor wrote:TDU is fucking awesome. Picked it up on thursday from the inpressions posted on here. Can't say that I regret this purchase.... Is Forza still listed for release in Nov?
Nope. Looks like February next year assuming it's not delayed again. It's a pity as it was my most anticpated game this year. The only other games i want that badly are GTA4, Halo 3 and the Half-Life 2 next-gen port.
Shit, I guess it's a good thing though. Since TDU is so bloody large, and I have a stack of other games I need to finish. Anyone have any ideas on what the big Xmas title will be?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Prey.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

i'll be checking call of duty 2, rainbow six vegas and viva pinata
gears of war should be pretty big too
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Viva Pinata is apparently only going to be $70, I'll give it a look for that price.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:perhaps you haven't noticed... i'm a 360 fanboy
:?

pat's right you know
it started with DKC
dkc = mario
banjo kazooie = mario 64
dinosaur planet = zelda 64
diddy kong racing = mario kart
grabbed by the ghoulies = luigi's mansion
kameo = majora's mask
viva pinata = animal crossing

good luck with 'rare effect' type responses
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard