Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

PS3 controller impressions...

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Article mentions PS3 sticks are now far more FPS friendly vs Dual Shock 2 among other things.

http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hands On Report: The PS3 Controller
Aug 18, 2006 @ 2:37pm

Summary:
We recently had an opportunity to try out a near-final version of the PlayStation 3 controller. We were impressed by the subtle changes to the Dual Shock's winning design.

Full Text:

The analog sticks felt smoother and "floated" more loosely than the sticks on the PS2 controller (images courtesy GameVideos.com)

Ever wonder what it's like to hold the PlayStation 3 controller in your own hands? Lucky us: we recently had that very opportunity while playing the latest version of the PS3 action-fest Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.

Our first impressions were good. The entire controller felt surprisingly light; possibly 25% lighter than the current PS2 controller. It's possible that this lighter feel is related to the lack of force-feedback "rumble" support, but that's unconfirmed.

The directional pad feels softer, more tactile, than the slightly stiffer pad on the PS2. But it gets better: the new analog sticks responded more smoothly to thumb input, and felt slightly "looser." We're guessing that these new analog sticks will make first-person shooters much more playable; they certainly worked well for Untold Legends.

The face buttons felt identical to those on the stock PS2, but the shoulder buttons have received a welcome tune-up. The L2 and R2 triggers are now oversized and "squishy," making them feel more like analog triggers. We actually preferred these redesigned L2 and R2 triggers to the slightly stiffer Xbox 360 triggers, but that will ultimately be a matter of personal preference.

We've heard mixed reports on the small PlayStation insignia that rests between the analog sticks. One source told us that the button worked as a "home" button for menu navigation, ala the Xbox 360. Sony Online Entertainment's Nicholas Beliaeff, the Director of Development fo r Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, told us the button was used to sync the wireless controller to the PS3. Either way, we can't confirm for the time being, as Sony hasn't clarified.

All in all, it was a surprisingly positive demonstration of a slight overhaul of one of the most popular gaming controllers in video game history. More updates soon!
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

I really hate the idea of using the same controller 3 generations in a row. It may sound stupid, but its the main thing putting me off the PS3. :?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Looser? Fucking Looser!?

Nope doesn't sound good at all.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Same? No rumble, motion sensing, L2/R2 triggers, wireless, different-feeling stick and d-pad.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

General Chaos wrote:Looser? Fucking Looser!?

Nope doesn't sound good at all.
What do you think 'looser' means? By smoother and looser they mean less springy which is why FPSes are such a cow to control on PS2. XBox sticks feel 'looser' than PS2 sticks.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I'm not excited by this at all. I'd have preferred the boomerang they showed off (seriously).

*They have squishy shoulder buttons (I'm guessing like the GC),
*lost rumble,
*added motion sensing,
*tweaked the dpad
*made the sticks looser (wtf they were already way too loose)
*removed the cord
*LEFT the layout exactly the same (fucking stupid stick placement!!)

2 steps forwards 1 big step backwards. Depending how you look at it this could be seen as better or worse than the DS2.

Edit for Pep: I feel the PS2 pad is a loose as they come, loose and sloppy (combine that with the shit layout and it is a nightmare for FPS's). Truth be told the Dukes stick is tighter than the Type-S/360 pad and is far better for FPS's IMO.
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

General Chaos wrote: *They have squishy shoulder buttons (I'm guessing like the GC),
*lost rumble,
*added motion sensing,
*tweaked the dpad
*removed the cord
Valid points. I too am not impressed. I dont mind the stick placement on the PS2, but they could of varied it a bit more, c'mon.

A lot of things (like the force-feedback aspect) are still in the dark. Ultimately i will complain about it when i actually use the damn thing
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Same? No rumble, tilt sensor, L2/R2 triggers, wireless, different-feeling stick and d-pad.
fixed! :D
General Chaos wrote: I'm not excited by this at all. I'd have preferred the boomerang they showed off (seriously).

*They have squishy shoulder buttons (I'm guessing like the GC),
*lost rumble,
*added a tilt sensor
*tweaked the dpad
*removed the cord
fixed! :D
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I've always disliked the placement of the twin sticks. They have always felt too close together and I generally find using them at the same time uncomfortable.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

look I could've said tilt but I already felt I was being very harsh on the controller.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Rocco, I know this is hard for you but could you quit acting like a dick.

Sony have come out saying the controller has 6 degrees of freedom. Considering there are only 6 degrees of freedom in total (3 for position: pitch, yaw, roll and 3 for momentum: heaving, swaying and surging) it detects a full range of motion.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

General Chaos wrote:Edit for Pep: I feel the PS2 pad is a loose as they come, loose and sloppy (combine that with the shit layout and it is a nightmare for FPS's). Truth be told the Dukes stick is tighter than the Type-S/360 pad and is far better for FPS's IMO.
Duke is the best FPS pad I've ever used and I regard its sticks as being 'looser' than DS2. DS2 sticks spring back to centre more than XBox pads. XBox sticks are smoother and looser outward from centre than DS2. This is why XBox sticks offer superior feel and control for FPSes. This is what's described in the article as being improved for the PS3 pad.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Yep, it's a motion sensor, same as the Wii controller. The difference is the Wii controller has a sensor bar and an infrared sensor, so it can detect where it is in relation to the TV. Other than that they're the same.

The lack of rumble is the only thing letting the controller down. I personally never had a problem with the PS2 controller (only played a PSOne on a handful of occasions), so this sounds good to me.

In fact, the PS2 controller was my favourite out of the last generation. 360 is my current fave though (apart from its god-awful d-pad, but still).
Duke is the best FPS pad I've ever used
Agreed.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

If the sticks are 'looser' that's not a good thing imo. I felt the dual shock sticks never gave you enough resistance, which meant the sticks slid more across than you wanted them to go a lot of the time.

Personally i think motion sensing on wii/ps3 is a gimmick, people will hate it and go back to traditional controls and to be honest a lot of games will just play a lot better with traditional controls. They also really need the rumble in there.
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

I cant stand the analog sticks on the dual shock2. They seem to have the same resistance no matter how far they are from the centre or something. The deadzone in the middle is ridiculously huge too. I suck so bad at using them for anything.

Infact theyre one of the main reasons I never play anything on my PS2, and If i do its something that I can use the dpad for (or a guitar)

I really hope PS3's are different. Xbox360 = best controller ever. For most games anyway.. we all know Saturn is the best 2d game controller ever. :up:
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

motion sensing on wii won't be too bad because a lot of games will take advantage of it, and games will be build around it.

that won't happen with ps3, so losing rumble for a tilt sensor is not good.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I think people saying "looser" means they have less resistence and make it harder to aim.

I believe Chaos often reffered to the PS2 sticks as digi-logue sticks. It felt they had three stages - centre, 50% and 100%. Any sort of precise aiming was impossible, and I dont think the convex tops of the sticks help either.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I agree with that Jizz.

I think the loss of rumble for a feature which will be barely used was a poor decision.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

If it's standard, it'll be used.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Regardless of how you choose to interpret 'looser' the article says the new PS3 sticks respond more smoothly to thumb input making FPSes much more playable. Also d-pad is improved and L2 & R2 triggers have good analogue control. Not sure how anyone can say that doesn't sound good.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Not sure how anyone can say that doesn't sound good.
Does this really need an answer? :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

It's good, it's better but it's still not a 360 pad ;)
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

double post - net playing silly buggers
Last edited by Arthas on 21 Aug 2006 07:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthas

Post by Arthas »

Yeh, no rumble sucks but the rest sounds really good. Just quietly though, motion sensor is more interesting as a gimmick than rumble...dare I say I don't even notice rumble these days anyhow.

The 360 pad is just awesome and will probably be king this gen, except for the d pad. Sony should shift the dpad and left analog stick and it would probably feel better, I prefer that setup.
Last edited by Arthas on 21 Aug 2006 07:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Yep lack of resistance is the main problem I think (as mentioned by a few others). So making it looser means less resistance in my mind.

Also Pilon nailed it! How could I forget the Digi-logue phrase!

I know it comes to interpretation but looser doesn't sound better to me. We'll see but I actually don't expect the sticks to be any better than that found in a DS2 (lets face it they will most likely re use parts).

Also my checklist rundown pretty much sums up my thought process on the whole PS3 controller, though I will add these to the list:

*New innovative "Serect" button,
*Lighter weight for 15% added hang time when released from Pats hands. :D