Post by BOOMY »

Also, I am no windows advocate either.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

properly tagged mp3s 4 evarrrrrrrrrr! :p
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

selfish wrote:me? why must you take exactly what i say as what i mean when some things are obvious hyperbole? of course windows is built for multitasking, to [seriously] say otherwise would be outrageous!

just out of interest, do you think the word of the law or the spirit of the law is more important?
selfish wrote:i thought i was fine with windows till i had to grapple with the lack of a good app-switcher and no expose
it's just not built for multitasking
The app switcher is almost identical between Mac and PC, but hey, it's okay, because you were using hyperbole.

Classic selfish, say something utterly ridiculous and then go "but it was hyperbole!"

Macs are fucking pieces of shit and OS X is a badly coded piece of crap. Don't like my opinion? You idiot, it was just hyperbole!

Aaaanyway...
BOOMY wrote:I was going to agree with mech here but now you've both had a your old lovers tiff you both look equally as stupid. All I can is I know selfish in real life, he often lists reasons why his mac is much more convinient than a PC - and I dont disagree but at the end of the day it is a huge move to make(that is more expensive and wont play games once ur used to the new OS) and at best it provides a different(not better) way to do things + added stability.

I'd buy a mac for graphic work or video/audio recording, as far as a new OS goes. its not a big enuf leap.

Also Winamp > Itunes 4EVA!!!
I wasn't ragging on Mac at all (in this thread at any rate :D).

I just think people are overly harsh on Windows.

Anyway, hopefully selfish has calmed down now and won't be posted any more 1600x1200 pics to try and pay me out. :)
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Can we get the title of this thread changed to "PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!"?

Also,

<3 OS X's language support.
mech

Post by mech »

Man, Microsoft really needs to poach Apple's designers, they really cannot design an OS as beautiful as Apple can.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I've always found the apple OS to be a very attractive one. Eye catching, it scream "use me, I'm friendly".
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

I like OS X because of its BSD layer and because it has desktop compositing built this century. I'm a DOS boy at heart and I still do stuff like dropping to terminal and pinging something to test connectivity but at the same time I'm not averse to eye candy which is powered by an underused GPU.

I wouldn't touch OS 9 with a 40-foot barge pole though. That shit is just damn evil.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

mech wrote:
selfish wrote:me? why must you take exactly what i say as what i mean when some things are obvious hyperbole? of course windows is built for multitasking, to [seriously] say otherwise would be outrageous!

just out of interest, do you think the word of the law or the spirit of the law is more important?
selfish wrote:i thought i was fine with windows till i had to grapple with the lack of a good app-switcher and no expose
it's just not built for multitasking
The app switcher is almost identical between Mac and PC, but hey, it's okay, because you were using hyperbole.

Classic selfish, say something utterly ridiculous and then go "but it was hyperbole!"
But it was, quite clearly? I don't get your point.

There's enough of a difference in the app switching [for me] for it to make a difference in the ease of use. Do I have to justify every comment just for you? Do you need a disclaimer on every post? "May require some interpretation: written in English, this post has been processed on lines that also process egg, nuts, and idiom."

You didn't say anything about the letter of the law vs the spirit. Which one?
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

mech wrote:
I just think people are overly harsh on Windows.
I think XP is great.I really like using Windows.
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Talez wrote:I like OS X because of its BSD layer and because it has desktop compositing built this century. I'm a DOS boy at heart and I still do stuff like dropping to terminal and pinging something to test connectivity but at the same time I'm not averse to eye candy which is powered by an underused GPU.

I wouldn't touch OS 9 with a 40-foot barge pole though. That shit is just damn evil.

Same here. I love being able to actually use all my arcane Unix knowledge on my computer while still having the power of the OS X GUI. OS 7-9 were very very VERY evil tho. But Windoze has got better, and I also hate those Mac users who just rag on every other OS. They all have their pros and cons.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

Texas wrote:
Talez wrote:But Windoze has got better, and I also hate those Mac users who just rag on every other OS. They all have their pros and cons.
i know i've probably come across as a dickhead mac fanatic, but i can see the flaws in osx too - stuff like a network drive disconnecting and making all of finder hang, the read-only ftp support in finder, the way windows handles zips is better (and they did it first!), the inability to use arrow keys to move the cursor across whole word, and i'm sure there's more i'm forgetting.

and i *do* like being able to use other people's unix knowledge (and google) to be able to change pretty much anything
Texas

Post by Texas »

Good selfish, don't want you and me to be seen as Mac-Rocco's.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Texas wrote:Good selfish, don't want you and me to be seen as Mac-Rocco's.
Impossible. Rocco is the ultimate sales = qualerty guy, and you can't argue that way with a Mac :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Texas

Post by Texas »

iPod, Ambrose?
Gr8ness

Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

:llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama: :llama:
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

selfish wrote:but i can see the flaws in osx too - stuff like a network drive disconnecting and making all of finder hang,
Tell me about it.

This morning i wanted to copy something huge from my pc to my macbook, so i connected to my pc on the macbook, and started copying it over wireless. I realised it was gonna take ages so I plugged in a lan cable, then disabled the wireless - with the network drive still on. Big mistake. Spinning beachball of death. Had to hold the power button down until it turned off :fight
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
Texas

Post by Texas »

kabal, did you try Force Quit on finder? that often fixes beachballs for me. But I am on PPC, not intel...
Gr8ness

Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Texas wrote:kabal, did you try Force Quit on finder? that often fixes beachballs for me. But I am on PPC, not intel...
Force quitting a network volume is kind of hit and miss.

It's definately one of the ways that finder's SMB networking seriously sucks donkey nuts.
Texas

Post by Texas »

I really hope 10.5 has a revised finder...
Gr8ness

Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

I just hope they stop fucking around with sharing files and folders and fix the shitty SMB stack.

I mean, Sharepoints works just fine, but having to use a 3rd party utility is kinda annoying.
Texas

Post by Texas »

finder has almost become the forgoten stepchild of OSX. 10.5 better fix a lot of issues with it, I don't like the 3rd party aps approach either.
Or will that be saved for OS XI?
Gr8ness

selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

i don't even like sharepoints - or at least i couldn't see much reason to use it over default shit

can i just make sure everyone is using quicksilver? that's a 3rd party app you can't be without.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Why do I need quicksilver?

Spotlight does what I need it to.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Texas wrote:iPod, Ambrose?
That's not a Mac. :P
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

quicksilver does it instantly, with less keystrokes, and in a more predictable fashion - you don't have to wait for it to think about what its doing.

i mostly use it as an app launcher, and make it append to files every now and then - but just as a launcher it beats scrolling through a list hands down. i.e. to launch photoshop, you push apple space, type PS and push enter - but if you don't like it i guess you don't like it. eh.