selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!

Post by selfish »

ok, i posted this once already but forgot linux, so here it is again
probably too many options now but oh well
i'd like to have multiple questions to tease the issue out but oh well

i added options for fanboys too, i thought i was fine with windows till i had to grapple with the lack of a good app-switcher and no expose
it's just not built for multitasking
Last edited by selfish on 25 Aug 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

How about "Both Mac and Windows"?
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

I voted "Mac" because its my favourite but I spend way more time on windows (Work, Game PC at home).
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

i added options for fanboys too, i thought i was fine with windows till i had to grapple with the lack of a good app-switcher and no expose
it's just not built for multitasking
What the? What's wrong with the task bar and alt-tab? Seriously?
Texas
Spitoon for Eng-er-land fans
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

I voted mac, cause I own one, but next year when I get my macbook I willbe happily using both windoze and OSX.
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

mech wrote:What the? What's wrong with the task bar and alt-tab? Seriously?
Some windows don't show up on the taskbar or alt-tab, if you have a ton of windows open the taskbar either becomes a mess of same-looking icons or you need to group the buttons (where the process becomes longer).

That being said, its not that big a deal and yes, selfish did go overboard.
mech

Post by mech »

There's yet to be an application switcher that really addresses all the problems. I personally am not a huge fan of the dock on OS X; it's certainly not amazingly better than the Windows XP method.

I want to try the 3D Vista way :D
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Working with them day in day out I'd like to register my vote for hating all computers no matter what OS they are running.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

mech wrote:There's yet to be an application switcher that really addresses all the problems. I personally am not a huge fan of the dock on OS X; it's certainly not amazingly better than the Windows XP method.
Expose. Hit F9, see everything on the screen scaled to fit the window. I can identify a window quickly using spatial recognition.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

You want the latest Suse with magic cube and fancy window previews etc. Unfortunately you will then be running linux and want to kill yourself.
Texas
XBL ID: TexasAI
PSN ID: Texas_AU
Steam ID: TexasAU

Post by Texas »

Nah wait til next year with Mac OS X 10.5. Expose, Spaces, Time Machine, and the stuff we aint seen yet....

(I'll stop now at risk of sounding like Rocco with Ninty/Pat with average games)
Gr8ness

[url=http://www.somethingsomethingradio.com]Something Something Radio[/url] - Fresh DJ mixes Weekly!
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

mech wrote:What the? What's wrong with the task bar and alt-tab? Seriously?
The main gripe i have with the taskbar is that the order of the windows is based on the order you opened them, and you cannot change it.... until you use this anyway:

http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshufflev10.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Expose is just a better way of doing things, though. Especially when you use it to drag and drop shit around.
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
jahooley
Baby you got a stew goin!

Post by jahooley »

I have Mac which also runs windows :lol: and it's shit
I use a PC at work. that's ok...most of the time :shock:
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

alt tab on windows: goes through all open windows, to go backwards you have to hold down shift too

apple tab on osx: goes through open applications, while still holding down apple, tilde goes backwards (i.e. not grappling with holding down more keys)
apple tilde goes through the open windows for that application, if you don't have the app switcher open at the time

that explanation probably didn't make sense to you, but that doesn't matter. the main difference is that you can get to the window you want faster, and without having to go through a huge list of windows one at a time. i'm not saying you have to agree with me or like mac at all, i've just gotten used to it and find that it's faster and easier - which i would never have imagined before i used one.

also: the dock is indeed stupid.
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
mech

Post by mech »

Sounds like a minor difference in approach to me, certainly not warranting an outburst like "it's just not built for multitasking." What rubbish.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Talez wrote:How about "Both Mac and Windows"?
I swing both ways too. PC for desktop, Mac for laptop. Would do the same way on my next purchases.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

amba wrote:
Talez wrote:How about "Both Mac and Windows"?
I swing both ways too. PC for desktop, Mac for laptop. Would do the same way on my next purchases.
Ditto. If I'm playing games it'll be at home on my PC. For more casual games and on the road I'll definately be using a mac laptop.
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

outburst? uhh ok
i thought it was more of a throwaway line but fair enough
i should've made the poll just three options
hands up if you mind me deleting this thread and making a new one?

also who voted pc and hates macs? can anyone explain their thoughts?
mech

Post by mech »

outburst? uhh ok
i thought it was more of a throwaway line but fair enough
You're saying the OS wasn't built for multitasking. That's a huge and stupid claim to make, not a "throwaway line".
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

have a cry you pedantic fuck

how's "it doesn't do multitasking as well as i'd like, coming from an environment with instant searching/app launching and visual app switching"?
mech

Post by mech »

So now I'm pedantic for calling you out on a completely wrong statement you're making? Interesting.

If you'd just said "it doesn't do multitasking as well as i'd like" then that's more than fair enough.

Relax selfish. Who's getting aggressive now?
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account

Post by selfish »

me? why must you take exactly what i say as what i mean when some things are obvious hyperbole? of course windows is built for multitasking, to [seriously] say otherwise would be outrageous!

just out of interest, do you think the word of the law or the spirit of the law is more important?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I use Ubuntu Linux with XGL (the spinning cube thingie), and it's way better than OSX or Windows for window/app management :thumbsup:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

No OS handles gaming better than Windows. Why would I use anything else?

Apple people annoy me. From what I've experienced of Unix and Linux at uni, (Operating Systems and Systems Programming *shudder* thank God I did alright so don't have to repeat), they're both piles of crap.

I voted simply 'PC' because I don't hate Macs, just the people that market and use them. :P
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I was going to agree with mech here but now you've both had a your old lovers tiff you both look equally as stupid. All I can is I know selfish in real life, he often lists reasons why his mac is much more convinient than a PC - and I dont disagree but at the end of the day it is a huge move to make(that is more expensive and wont play games once ur used to the new OS) and at best it provides a different(not better) way to do things + added stability.

I'd buy a mac for graphic work or video/audio recording, as far as a new OS goes. its not a big enuf leap.

Also Winamp > Itunes 4EVA!!!