Alan Wake Trailer

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Alan Wake Trailer

Post by Rorschach »

I'm quite enjoying Alan Wake. Surprisingly not a visually impressive game but what it does, it does competently. Looking forward to finishing it.

Edit - Just finished the 2nd chapter and I can say that while there are no real scares or menace to the games it is extremely well put together. Controls well, looks decent and the voice acting is good. I hope it gets better towards the end.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

I bought this, it was under $30 from a UK website, looking forward to it.
mech

Post by mech »

Wow, how shit is the intro?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Alan Wake is a strange beast. I'm tired as all hell at the moment so I'll elaborate in the morning, but I'll just say for now that it seems like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. I really liked it, and I'm keen to play through it a second time (plus I still need to play through the DLC episode), but then again I've always had a soft spot for really ambitious games that don't quite pull it off (see also: my love of Bloodlines) :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Loved Alan Wake. The graphics may not be as good as others out there, but really enjoyed the story. Happy I got it.
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Re:

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

BruceCamblzChin wrote:Yeah mate it is. Obviously SH2 is the pinnacle of survival/horror but this is a VERY solid attempt.

It misses the gore, as I mentioned earlier, and some of the more disgusting things that happen in a Silent Hill game that can really get you, the atmosphere lacks a bit because the score, apart from the cool rock tunes like above, is not scary enough (remember the HORRIBLE percussion in the Silent Hill games?). No real puzzles either which would have been nice. And yeah, too much ammo, gimme a pipe or something so I have to get all bloody man!

But the combat is largely flawless once you get used to it, the dodge can be a pain SOMEtimes, the story is solid and the action set-pieces, like the one I talked about in my last post, can be fantastic. I am holding on to this one to see where they go with the DLC.

If you dig survival/horror (and lets face it theres not many of us out there) then this is a welcome addition to the genre, certainly from the West anyway, that last Silent Hill the Yanks did wasn't real flash.

My thoughts from earlier in the thread. I played thru the signal a while back now and I'm keen for the next dlc. I like this game and I hope they do more.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Basically it wants to be a horror game, but isn't scary enough. It wants to be an open world game, but you're led along a linear path. It wants to be a third person shooter, but it has that crappy dodge move that makes things a bit awkward. It wants to have exciting car chase sequences, but they were crap.

So yeah, it's a game that is definitely more than the sum of its parts. I love its episodic structure, its characters, its story, its soundtrack. I think if you approach it like it's an interactive Stephen King novel you'll have a blast. I did :up:

But I don't think you'll like it mech :(
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
mech

Post by mech »

The problem is I went into it expecting something less cheesy, which is silly given it's Remedy.

I got through the first chapter last night and I don't hate it, but wow some of the intro was BAD.

Gameplay mechanics seem reasonable so far though, my main gripe is with the terrible cut-scenes.
mech

Post by mech »

Just had the ending spoiled by Jeff Cannata on this week's Weekend Confirmed podcast.

What a cunt. I hate people that say "spoilers" and then with no pause at all launch into a spoiler.
jobbidiar
XBL ID: jobbidiar
PSN ID: jobbidiar
Steam ID: jobbidiar

Post by jobbidiar »

mech wrote:Just had the ending spoiled by Jeff Cannata on this week's Weekend Confirmed podcast.

What a cunt. I hate people that say "spoilers" and then with no pause at all launch into a spoiler.
Well the games been out for a while now, so it's not exactly a "latest release" title.

Just got around to playing the dlc, i enjoyed it a lot even though i still don't understand the story one bit :lol:

I swear if they make a sequel, Alan Wake needs to get on a treadmill since he heaves and coughs worse than me running 5 metres.
Uncharted 4 GOTY 2015 (unless it's broken like MCC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

mech wrote:What a cunt. I hate people that say "spoilers" and then with no pause at all launch into a spoiler.
Spoiler. Dumbledore Dies.

:D
BruceCamblzChin
Placenta of Attention

Alan Wake Trailer

Post by BruceCamblzChin »

:t0mby:
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Spoiler. In Passion Of The Christ, Jesus dies

Spoiler. In King Kong, King Kong dies

Spoiler. In Citizen Kane, Rosebud was his sled.

Spoiler. In The Crying Game, it was a dude.

Spoiler. In The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader is Luke's Father.

Spoiler. In Return Of The Jedi, Leia is Luke's Sister.

Spoiler. In Final Fantasy VII, Aerith dies. Phoenix Downs don't help.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

GreyWizzard wrote:Spoiler. In The Crying Game, it was a dude.
Really? The copy I was watching bugged out about 3/4's the way through.
mech

Post by mech »

This is one of the most repetitive games I've ever played.
Brown Hornet

Post by Brown Hornet »

You should try alternating Alan Wake and Comic Jumper for that real Groundhog Day experience.

(enjoyed Alan Wake though, warts and all it engaged me and I'd be day one for a sequel)
mech

Post by mech »

I wish I'd just warezed this, so I would have given up long ago.

Anything I spent over $50 on I force myself to finish, and this is sooo tedious. Which is a shame, because some bits are really good... but it's just so fucking REPETITIVE.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

mech wrote:I bought this, it was under $30 from a UK website, looking forward to it.

I paid full retail, it's still in the plastic wrap sporting a "do not place on shelf until *date" sticker on it and I think I'm going to trade it in towards the CoD prestige pack.. Totally ripped myself off on this one.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just bought this today, came with the d/l code too for the extra mission or party hat, whatever the fuck it is. Installed and just about to play. Heard nothing but good things from people who's opinions I favour.

Sup Mech. :t0mby:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

It's Time Magazine's Game of the Year. How could you go wrong t0mby.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

That is true, I reade that the other day. Interesting Top 10 awards they had.

Up to the early parts of Episode 2, definitely only going to be playing it for the story, the actual mechanics feel like a last gen game. Press B to pick up, Press B to climb ladder. Press L stick to climb ladder. Press B to pick up revolver ammo, Press B to pick up revolver ammo, Press B to.... Ffs, really? I've never played a videogame before, I wondered what those glowy objects were when I was in range/enter a room. :roll:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Master Race version available now. $30 on Steam, but GreenMan Gaming has 33% off so you can pick it up for $20.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/awake/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Alan Wake Trailer

Post by Spoonfan »

Fantastic, can wait to play it again. One of my favourite games of this gen.

Not long till American Nightmare comes out either.
mech

Post by mech »

guess tomby doesn't favour his own opinion.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Who else bagged this for $4!? I finished episode 1 last night. Damn Remedy are good at story telling through games. The manuscript pick-ups add to the Silent Hill 2 feel I get from this. It's like a HBO take on Silent Hill 2. Slicker, better acting, bigger set pieces and making it work. Not as twisted as SH2 though.
Not yet anyway. Maybe I'll find a few sexualised zombies later on.