XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

More ps3 downgrades.

Post by lestat »

Yes i know the inquirer is trash, but this is being confirmed by other peeps on b3d.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33995" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PS3 downgraded again

RSX woes this time

By Charlie Demerjian: Monday 28 August 2006, 16:43
Click Here!
IT LOOKS LIKE the PS3 is way too powerful for us mere humans, and because the value is so overwhelming, Sony is going to make it a little more palatable. The RSX, previously scheduled to run at 550/700 core/memory has been realigned with expectations and the value chain at 500/650.

We can't tell you why the GPU lost nearly 10% of it's clock, it could be an NVidia screwup, or it could be Sony/Cell. Either way, it just became much less of an overwhelming value, but you get a DRM infected drive for 'free' either way.

As a help to the fanbois who inevitably write in somewhat curious broken englishish every time their precious console gets re-specced in a downward manner, please cut and paste the following. It will save you at least an hour trying to figure out the parts of the keyboard that are not WASD:

You teh sux0r 2 sae teh PS3 is not going to teh r0x0r! Yew lie, yew 360 luvr. U teh sux! U maek thing up, go die!!!1111one!1!!!1 heheheheh

As for Sony, I know your reaction, you are going to start a whispering campaign on the forums like last time. Please give the PR genius who thought that one up a promotion and a raise. It worked so well to cower me that I got more inside sources disgusted with you third rate backstabbing attempts than I got in a year. Please do it again, I didn't take offense last time, and I promise not to this time. µ

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... stcount=39
xbdestroya wrote: I'm reopening the thread for now because as I discussed at B3D, the downgrade is true. Version did in fact call it correctly a couple of weeks ago, and I followed up with several sources to verify. He was wrong about a downgrade to Cell though, Cell is still at 3.2GHz and will be at launch...

The reason why I can't write things up here all the time is because due to the 'Babes' section of this forum, my site access is restricted when I'm actually in my office. So... there ya go.

Yes, the Inquirer is trash, but the RSX, pending further news (because it's still subject to change mind you), has been downgraded.

I don't expect a big performance decline due to this myself, and I'm sure you'll hear many a dev back me up on that point. PS3 = Cell well before it equals RSX, and indeed, I have a pretty monster Cell interview coming up in the next 24 hours.

PS - Incidently, I don't think RSX was downgraded because Sony couldn't reach the speeds onsistently, I think it was downgraded because to get from 500MHz to 550MHz would have required a voltage bump that wasn't worth the added wattage and thermal constraints to the system.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, i love the response by the Inquirer!! :up:
You teh sux0r 2 sae teh PS3 is not going to teh r0x0r! Yew lie, yew 360 luvr. U teh sux! U maek thing up, go die!!!1111one!1!!!1 heheheheh
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Because when we're looking for unbiased gaming coverage we look to Charlie Demerjian, head Sony basher at The Inquirer and Internet message boards.
As for Sony, I know your reaction, you are going to start a whispering campaign on the forums like last time. Please give the PR genius who thought that one up a promotion and a raise. It worked so well to cower me that I got more inside sources disgusted with you third rate backstabbing attempts than I got in a year. Please do it again, I didn't take offense last time, and I promise not to this time.
Yes. He sounds like he has absolutely no axe to grind and would never start spreading rumours for fanboys to "confirm" as true.

But of course, anyone who takes on his "facts" is a Sony PR agent. Never mind the fact that the shit that spews out of his so called "mouth" is just so utterly retarded that most people with a clue laugh at anything he says anyway.

[/damagecontrol]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I waited all day for that. Lestat I want my money back!
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

value for money pfft
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Paying for potential
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Funny thing Talez, that slow and broken article, the facts presented were truthful and leaked. His interpretation of them was totally wrong though.

The downgrade could explain why final dev kits have been using 430mhz gpu's and the specs shown at e3 didn't list final clocks. It's not the first time nvidia has under delivered in terms of clock speeds. Remember the xbox 1 gpu was listed as a 300mhz part and got downgraded to 233mhz.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

300? I was sure it was 250mhz for xbox 1's intended spec. Unless there were two downgrades.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yeah pep 300mhz was the official number in the original announcement of the xbox. I forgot about the 250mhz downgrade, so yeah the gpu got 2 downgrades.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

lestat wrote:Yeah pep 300mhz was the official number in the original announcement of the xbox. I forgot about the 250mhz downgrade, so yeah the gpu got 2 downgrades.
And the Xbox was still the most powerful console last gen despite this.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

That's because PS2 was a horrible design. 360 isn't.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]