So much for ps3 being a good movie player...

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

ic ic, oh well despite it's few flaws the joytech one is still the way to go for lots of component connections, with 6 inputs.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

And a IR port, the most important part for my setup...
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

On second viewing it has four inputs, only three of which allow for Component.

The manual switching probably won't suit most people, but for under 30 aussie bucks I couldn't resist. I only want to add one additional component connection, and so this is suitable, all of the rest of my devices are connected into my amp and controlled by the Harmony 880 which might I add is awesome.

I'll just have to switch the button on the unit when I want to play the original Xbox (or to use it for media). This is no biggie as I have to physically turn the Xbox on from the unit anyway.

This is the easiest way for me to connect an Xbox 360 into my existing configuration without stuffing around too much.
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

So the PS3 Tard has no HDMI support at all, and the PS3 Potential doesn't come with an HDMI cable - you need to pay another $25US for it?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060901-7651.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Considering the small percentage of HDMI sets in the marketplace it would be wasteful of Sony to include a HDMI cable in the standard bundle.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

yeah you can't ecpect them to include the cable.
I was a bit suprised to get a component cable with the 360, in the past you paid for anything other than composite (and rf before that)
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

The PS3 FAQ notes you need an additional cable for HD. Let's if see the punters even get a component cable packed in.
mech

Post by mech »

I imagine it'll include component cables.

And that article is wrong, it DOES support 1080p out of the box via component. Dickheads. Then again, it's the same site that's constantly bagging out Kameo, the FOOLS.

:D
Twit
Noticeably Unintelligent
Noticeably Unintelligent
XBL ID: Twit AU
PSN ID: KAKwit
Steam ID: KAKwit

Post by Twit »

For movies? Y'know - wot this thread is about? Out of the box no HDMI, so no movies at 1080p, and no HDCP so any ICT enabled movies would be downscaled. A small thing I guess, but when you're the one pushing a HD movie format I would've thought you'd want it fully enabled out of the box for those buying it as a BluRay player.

For games it's a non-issue.
mech

Post by mech »

Twit, movies are guaranteed not to be copy protected until 2009, and with many things not supporting HDCP it's unlikely that they'll ever have the content protection bit set, so stop worrying your pretty head about ICT enabled movies. At least the PS3 has ANY option of playing them, Xbox 360's HD-DVD player has NO option of displaying protected content.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Twit wrote:For movies? Y'know - wot this thread is about? Out of the box no HDMI, so no movies at 1080p
Component is perfectly capable of doing 1080p for movies. It'll just be a signal that's been molested by a DAC.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

I was under the impression they said that 1080p was possible with component it's just the vast majority of TV's can't deal with it.

Oh, they said "for gaming"
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yep general 1080p/24fps over component is a standard not supported by a lot of tv's, because it's not a ATSC standard.

I know a lot of sony plasma's support it thought, for instance both sony plasma's that i've owned supported that 1080p over component.

I recently read though that hollywood wasn't keen on allowing 1080p over component. Because it allows a perfect full frame to be copied. So I'm still not sure if movies will be allowed in 1080p over component. It may be hdmi only.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

ICT doesn't dictate whether a player should support 1080p over component. The whole no ICT until 2010 is a mutal agreement struck by studios and manufacturers, a similar agreement could be made to prevent 1080p ever being used on component. So far standalone units don't support 1080p over component and 1080p is only available through hdmi. So we'll see what happens.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Oh. You're talking about Hollywood pressuring next-gen DVD makers to not include 1080p over component.

Won't ever happen. CE manufacturers wouldn't dare cull their feature set unless everyone else is forced to hence the ICT.

As if someone like Samsung would take out 1080p if its going to cause them to lose high end sales to higher quality chinese manufacturers who won't give a flying fuck.