So much for ps3 being a good movie player...

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

So much for ps3 being a good movie player...

Post by lestat »

:wtf: they're using the same retarded movie playback interface as the ps2. :down:

Also apparently the ps3 doesn't support an ir port, so standard/programmable remotes can't be used. I guess they need to cripple it as a player somehow to justify support from other ce companies trying to sell standalone units at double the price.
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

Does anyone think that either of the HD movie formats are gonna take off? They both seem to be doing a good job of ensuring they fail (stupid HDCP protection, outrageously priced players, etc)

And here's another nail in the blu-ray coffin ..
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Kabal wrote:Does anyone think that either of the HD movie formats are gonna take off?
Well, yes. Because people like me have moved on from 576i and are awaiting movies to catch up.
Kabal wrote:And here's another nail in the blu-ray coffin ..
The PS3 Blu-ray interface subjectively sucks? BLU-RAY IS DOOMED I TELLS YA! DOOMED! EVERYTHING WAS RIDING ON THAT PS3 INTERFACE! :rolleyes:

Have you all run out of real things to complain about or something?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Kabal you would be better targeting the fact that they seem to have serious issues getting the current (and beta) BR players to read their DL 50gb discs (the ones that actually managed to press ok) and the implications this will have for the format moving forwards especially if it manifests itself in the PS3.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Talez wrote: Well, yes. Because people like me have moved on from 576i and are awaiting movies to catch up.
Don't fool yourself in thinking that what you want or desire represents the masses. I've done that for years and only learned the masses are asses. They clung on shitty vhs tapes for way too long when a perfectly better alternative laserdisc was available. I see no reason why the masses will adopt bluray/hd-dvd. Both formats will end up like laser disc did and the format war itself will scare more consumers away.
Talez wrote: The PS3 Blu-ray interface subjectively sucks? BLU-RAY IS DOOMED I TELLS YA! DOOMED! EVERYTHING WAS RIDING ON THAT PS3 INTERFACE! :rolleyes:
considering that bluray is loosing the format war and sony is banking on the ps3 to push bluray into the mainstream. Yes having a shitty unfriendly user interface is a kick in the nuts for the bluray camp.
Talez wrote: Have you all run out of real things to complain about or something?
run out? Ps3 is like a never ending train wreck. :lol:
Megaman
a bad sheriff
XBL ID: megaman 2k7
PSN ID: mm2k8

Post by Megaman »

Will the PS3 play movies in green like my PS2 does?
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

That's an issue related to RGB SCART output. I'll ask my dad about it.

-David
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Oh, and regarding remotes - perhaps the PS3 premium pack will include a remote like the XB360 premium pack did. Speaking of which, is it possible to get a non-XB360 remote that can be used to work the XB360's dvd-player functions?
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Seraph wrote:Speaking of which, is it possible to get a non-XB360 remote that can be used to work the XB360's dvd-player functions?
The Harmony remotes, at least, do, so I assume any IR- programmable one can.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Kabal
LOUD NOISES

Post by Kabal »

Talez wrote:Well, yes. Because people like me have moved on from 576i and are awaiting movies to catch up.
Well yeah I've had a HDTV for like a year now and I want HD movies as much as anyone but I just cant see either of these formats taking off in a large way. And by in a large way I mean replacing regular DVD.

I think it'll take a larger jump than HDDVD/Blu-ray are offering to make the general public want to replace their DVD's. PS3 playing blu-ray was going to help but with an interface like that again, I doubt it.

Look how many ppl are perfectly happy buying a crappy 480line plasma panel. Those are the sort of people you have to sell the HD formats to for it to take off, and I just cant see it happening.
[size=67]Currenty playing: SFIV, Forza 2, RE5[/size]
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Where is it confirmed the PS3 doesn't/won't have an infra-red adapter? Pretty crappy and annoying if so, but I used the PS2 as a cheap DVD player when it first came out, and the interface wasn't THAT annoying.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Maybe they were scared their would be a backlash from some of the 100+ million users who are used to the PS2 DVD UI..
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

mech word is that an ir reciever isn't built into the machine. So far no remote prototype has been shown, so who knows there probably will be an addon released later, they were only demonstating the bluray software with the controller only.
mech

Post by mech »

If they're going backwards from the PS2 slimline and not including an IR receiver out of the box, that's pretty screwed up.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Why in the world would you want a non programmable IR remote when a non programmable bluetooth remote would be far more useful.

A bluetooth remote would be infinitely more useful unless they go out of their way to make it incompatible with PCs by using a different HID profile.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Talez wrote:Why in the world would you want a non programmable IR remote when a non programmable bluetooth remote would be far more useful.
Because you can make your programmable IR remote learn the commands from the non- programmable one, and then you can control your non- bluetooth TV and your non- bluetooth amp at the same time.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Talez you are a true genius. A bluetooth remote? Brilliant!
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

amba wrote:
Talez wrote:Why in the world would you want a non programmable IR remote when a non programmable bluetooth remote would be far more useful.
Because you can make your programmable IR remote learn the commands from the non- programmable one, and then you can control your non- bluetooth TV and your non- bluetooth amp at the same time.
Assuming Logitech caught up there would eventually be a dual mode IR/BT Harmony for those that need both. If I could use my PS3 remote as a bluetooth remote for my PC (media centre) and laptop it would be far more useful to me.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I forgot we're paying for potential again. ;)
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

I've got one of the DiNovo keyboards (bluetooth keyboard with media 'remote') and I'm telling you, a PS3 controller for media centre functions will not be as useful as a traditional universal IR remote... at least not until BT becomes mainstream in appliances, and only then would it perform the same functions (with bigger range, granted). For starters, you would still need to get off your arse to turn on the TV to watch, and the amp to listen...

My guess is that the PS3 BT won't be the strongest given its core raison d'etre. But I'm sure that someone will hack it so you can play your mobile games using it.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Megaman wrote:Will the PS3 play movies in green like my PS2 does?
Costs extra apparently,but yes it is an option.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Slightly off topic, but they had maybe a dozen or so HD-DVD movies at Walmart, with most of them priced at US$19.99. There was a few under that price point, and a few over it, though none were over US$30. There was no Bluray discs to be seen. The HD-DVD players were not excessively expensive, I believe under US$400, though I didn't pay much attention to them seeing as US gear is 130V :(

Oh, I also picked up a Philips HD Manual Switch Box. Has Component/S-Video/Composite, only stereo for audio. Was only US$19.99.
mech

Post by mech »

That's an idea, maybe I'll get my component switchbox in the US. :)
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

How many component connections does it have support for?
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Supports four component connections (four inputs, one output).

It's nothing fandangled, but for US$19.95 there was no chance of that! Haven't connected it yet, because I don't need to. Once I do I'll be having my Xbox 360 and HD STB running through it (everything else I will leave connected to the receiver as is).