Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

MTV article on Marvel: Ultimate Alliance and the Wii control

Post by Talez »

Linkage as always

For those of you who are generally lazy I'll try to get the choice bits:
He wasn't talking idly. He said a system developed by a Vicarious colleague, Jesse Raymond, a few weeks ago has been crunching the data of dozens of players who have tested the game on the Wii, analyzing the results of requests for players to do 10 swipes in a row or 10 stabs in a row, recognizing which moves the current version of the game fails to recognize as the intended gesture, tweaking the code, checking the pool of data from the gesture trials again for any new misunderstandings, repeat and recode, again and again. The result? "Within a week it went from being 60 to 70 percent reliable to 97 percent reliable," Chrzanowski said.
97% reliable with gesture recognition? That's a pretty good feat considering:
"Early on I had, like, 20 gestures," Chrzanowski said. His bosses at Vicarious told him to tone things down because they didn't think people could remember all of that. Stripped down to a handful, the gestures were initially really big. To do something super you'd have to make a super-sized move.

"We had an extreme level of effort and you had to whip the controller like that," Chrzanowski said, making a big swing of his arm. "I went home and was like, 'Wow, my arm's stronger.' "

The point of the game, though, wasn't to deliver a workout. And so they made the game accommodate a broader range of moves.

"You can swing the controller around like a madman if you want to and get all immersed in it, or a basic flick of the wrist will get everything accomplished." The analog stick on the Wii's nunchuck attachment controls movement.
Yep. They can recognise the gesture no matter how much expression you put into it.

I must say after reading this article I'm a lot more confident about the Wii controller as well as being a lot more receptive to the nunchuck style. Hopefully most of the devs are going to put similar amounts of effort into accurate gesture recognition. With Nintendo's track record with assisting 3rd parties to enhance the gaming experience *cough*RSP microcode*cough* they might have to do it themselves.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

"You can swing the controller around like a madman if you want to and get all immersed in it, or a basic flick of the wrist will get everything accomplished."
It all hinges on this. So people won't get tired doing the moves and thier performance drops after hours of play. Sometimes when I play a game I like to relax and just concentrate on other things beyond the performing of the in-game moves. Games shouldn't make you tired.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Three words for you, GameHED.

Dance. Dance. Revolution.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

three words.
Arcade. Home. Different.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

you can buy some pretty decent units for the console versions of DDR.

Thing is, DDR saved arcades, and it was all thanks to a new control method.
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

GreyWizzard wrote:Thing is, DDR saved arcades, and it was all thanks to a new control method.
Bemani saved arcades. IIDX, GF, DM all played a part.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

fine :P get technical
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Get technical? DDR wouldn't have half the kick ass songs it does if IIDX wasn't around. Anything by Takayuki Ishikawa (dj TAKA, OutPhase, D.J. Amuro) or Taku Sakakibara (TaQ) wouldn't be there for instance. :P
selfish
selfish's gag account
selfish's gag account
PSN ID: selfish3US

Post by selfish »

knowing too much about DDR should be grounds for expulsion from the ranch
"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion" - L. Ron Hubbard
Pat

Post by Pat »

Jesus christ. It's not like waving a wiimote controller around is like a 90minute workout ffs. Youre waving a tv remote, thats all. If that tires you out, wank more.
luro

Post by luro »

lol @ Pat's pro tip :up:
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

GreyWizzard wrote: Thing is, DDR saved arcades, and it was all thanks to a new control method.
Saved arcades for their owners, how many of us old arcade gamers bop along on DDR?
I sure don't :lol:

the only arcade games I play are in pubs
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:Saved arcades for their owners, how many of us old arcade gamers bop along on DDR?
I sure don't :lol:
Reporting for duty!
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I don't atm because Replay changed their DDR Extreme [8th mix] to Supernova [9th mix, newest version] (that's good!) and increased the price 4-fold (that's bad).
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2

Post by Talez »

How awesome is Centerfold by Captain Jack?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I've always liked the song, but have yet to play, or even see, the double steps, so can't comment on that.

Generally speaking though, based on foot-ratings for songs, the lack of difficulty on double is disappointing. I don't mind if they don't make every song a 10 foot, but when a song like No.13 is a 7 foot on double, you know something aint right.