The Official Thread of Shepard's in Space. ME4 Page 18

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Loving it so far. It has a very simple flow to the game and the shooting gameplay is awesome. Plus it looks awesome, the variety in environments makes the exploration element a lot more interesting. Trying to romance Miranda now simply because Jack is too skanky.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Any sign of your order yet Candy?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:So far I'm hankering for some Mako action. Fuck this scan planets from orbit shit :down:

I know a lot of people hated the Mako but I loved touching down on a new planet and zooming around. I was hoping for improvement in that area, not for it to be removed completely :down:

And call me crazy but I prefer the old item management system too. In this one I'm spending money on shit and not really knowing how it affects me. At least in the original Mass Effect you'll have two guns with different model numbers and you'll always know the higher numbered model is better, and you could simply delete the old gun in exchange for money.

I've only just started recruiting my team (got the doctor and mercenary on Omega, found the original Normandy crash site, been to the Citadel) so I'm not too far into the game, so hopefully it opens up more and gives me that Mass Effect feeling of exploration soon.
Agree totally.

I'm really enjoying this. The voice acting, graphics, storyline and pacing are all excellent.

But, I'm also really missing all the RPG elements they've stripped out. All the character management, skills management, inventory managment, the Mako (I liked it too). It's a shame. They've really dumbed it down and made it less RPG and more shooter/GearsOfWar.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:So far I'm hankering for some Mako action. Fuck this scan planets from orbit shit :down:

I know a lot of people hated the Mako but I loved touching down on a new planet and zooming around. I was hoping for improvement in that area, not for it to be removed completely :down:

And call me crazy but I prefer the old item management system too. In this one I'm spending money on shit and not really knowing how it affects me. At least in the original Mass Effect you'll have two guns with different model numbers and you'll always know the higher numbered model is better, and you could simply delete the old gun in exchange for money.

I've only just started recruiting my team (got the doctor and mercenary on Omega, found the original Normandy crash site, been to the Citadel) so I'm not too far into the game, so hopefully it opens up more and gives me that Mass Effect feeling of exploration soon.
Agree totally.

I'm really enjoying this. The voice acting, graphics, storyline and pacing are all excellent.

But, I'm also really missing all the RPG elements they've stripped out. All the character management, skills management, inventory managment, the Mako (I liked it too). It's a shame. They've really dumbed it down and made it less RPG and more shooter/GearsOfWar.
Yep, 30-odd hours in and I can conclusively say that the original Mass Effect is better. I've played it a lot so Mass Effect 2 is still a great game (except for the planet scanning bullshit) but as you point out it's a step backwards in a lot of areas. I like punishing myself so I'm still exploring the galaxy, going to explore it all before going after the friend-or-foe codes or whatever it was I was meant to get.

:unbiased:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
mech

Post by mech »

Finally got this today. Had to load up my old game and finish again because apparently it couldn't load it - wtf. All going now though. Good to have the comparison there - this game looks MUCH nicer. Still a shitty framerate a lot of the time though.

Glad I can finally play it, I've had so much stuff spoiled already, very keen to just play it and see it for myself.

That aussie accent is pissing me off already! hahaha.
mech

Post by mech »

The chick playing her is preeeeeetty hot in real life though.. yowzas!
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Just finished the story of this game and was addicted fro start to finish, I have not put 30 hours into a game in 10 days in many many years.

Look forward to number 3, and any DLC that maybe coming.

Early call but this may be the GOTY done and dusted already for me, will need something to impress be hugely to stop it.

I rate this in my top 10 games EVER !!!!!
2nd place is the first loser....

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

mech wrote:Any sign of your order yet Candy?
Got it yesterday. Unbiased impressions soon...
Ambrose Burnside

Over 40 hours later, I finished it last night. The final mission was brilliant. Quite a bit of annoying slowdown in the cut scenes though. It's hard to explain, it was like one scene hadn't quite finished playing, then there was a bit of a pause where that scene should have been ending, then the next scene started. It broke the flow.

I think it's awesome that you can keep playing after the final cut scene. It means we'll be able to play DLC without having to start a new game :up:

[Click to see hidden content]
Was that a massive fleet of Reapers I saw in the final cut scene? :shock: My guess is that the Geth hold the key to final victory. If the heretical Geth make up only 5% of the total Geth population, then their forces will have to be the key to beating the Reapers. It'll be interesting to see if the choices I made, such as advising the Quarians against war with the Geth, and releasing the virus to turn the heretical Geth "good" again to increase the overall strength of the "good" Geth were the right ones to make :D

I made sweet alien love to Tali and saved everyone. Jack hates me though 'cos I led her on for most of the game :lol: She's still loyal though, which is weird, but every time I try to talk to her she just yells "FUCK OFF!" :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK so I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop (and I am somehow already rusty at SF4 because of it)...

I disagree with people who say it is in every way better than the original. I disagree with people who say the original is better.

I would say on the whole it is a better experience despite a few things I would have liked to have been retained, particularly the more RPG-styled elements. Don't really miss the Mako though I am wondering how I will go when I eventually fite Thresher Maws. Scanning planets is an exercise in tedium, an essential one, but I have already upgraded my scanner once and I am hoping there are more to make it less time consuming.

The load times aren't as bad as I was expecting, yes I am running off the HDD. Compared to the original with those elevators it's fine. Absolutely loving how every mission thus far has felt unique and memorable, really taking in and enjoying the various locales such as Omega and I quite like how the Citadel has changed to become more consumer-focused with those ads.

I also get a kick out of walking into every Citadel shop to hear how it's Commander Shepard's favourite store :lol:

The presentation of the game I do not need to elaborate on much more than has already been said - looks great, moves smooth for the most part, superb dialogue and voice acting in general, fabulous soundtrack once again.

Overall so far? Loving it to bits. I would say an easier game to love than Mass Effect at this point in time.
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Finished this last night, what a fantastic game!! So epic, great story lines, awesome ending ... hanging for ME 3 now!! The production values in this series are second to none ... loved it to bits!! :up:
mech

Post by mech »

I'm about 4 hours in, and so far they seem to have fixed a LOT of the problems from the first game...
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Yep. Thank fuck the Mako is gone, but the planet scanning is pretty tedious. Well worth doing though, some of the upgrades you can buy are fantastic. I was hooked in the first two hours with the awesome opening sequence. Excitement died down around the 3-4 hour mark, then got sucked back in with the ever improving recruitment and loyalty missions. Really loved it.

I played as a Sentinel in ME2 after playing as a soldier in ME. Found it to be a great mix of weapon and biotic gameplay. Had quite a bit of fun with the cryo ability early on, but respecced my Shephard towards the end and maxed out warp, power armor and overload.

I'm almost scared to look at ME now they've improved the framerate and combat controls ... some of the fully maxed biotic abilities are crazy satisfying ... maxed out heavy warp FTW!!!

Some of the vista's on the different planets are gorgeous and there's quite a variety in the environments as well from dusty, ruined planets to lush forests.

It will take quite a special game to beat this for my 2010 GOTY. I'm looking at you Halo: Reach!!
mech

Post by mech »

Almost wish I hadn't gone Soldier again, but biotics were so broken in the first one...
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

The biotics are tops in ME2 ... you can still use them if you choose some strong biotic characters in your squad.

If you're only 3 or so hours in, it could be worth starting again if you want the full biotic experience (my game clock was around 35 hours so it's quite a big investment) ... I love how you can aim above or slightly to the side of enemies with warp and watch the ball of energy curve and smash into them. Very satifsfying.

A fully maxed shockwave biotic ability is great to watch on unshielded enemies as well. Wait for them to line up then blast through them sending them flying in all directions.
Ambrose Burnside

Zooming around on the Mako >>>>> Scanning planets.

I still love Mass Effect 2 though. I just feel they missed a golden opportunity to make that part of the game better. Instead they made it a lot more boring.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Did people go and get all the ship crew mates?
And if you did, did you do all of their loyalty quests?

Jack
Easily my favorite crewmate, and I take her everywhere. I shagged her but didn't get the 'relationship' achievement? Great character though. Excellent attitude. I've done absolutely every quest I can that is around her story so far. Busting her out of jail is easily one of my favorite quests so far.

Grunt
I really like the Krogans, so he's a no-brainer. Excellent story around getting him on board. Done everything for him.

Tali
One of my favorites from Mass Effect 1. I've done her stuff too. Not quite as entertaining as the others, but pretty good still.

Miranda
After I went and saved her sister and everything, she's going to be a bitch just because I side with Jack over some bullshit? Fuck her. What a bitch. I have no time for her.

Samara
Actually really enjoyed the stuff with her daughter. The scene where Samara busts in and her and her daughter have a Dragon Ball Z style powerball standoff - fucking awesome!

Before I move on, I think I'll probably do the obnoxious mercenary (Zaeed?) quest and maybe Thane?

Hehe. I just realised looking back, with the exception of Grunt, I've done all of the women characters. lol.

Paragon Soldier (from ME1) all the way, but second playthru will be my super renegade hard hitting ugly bitch from ME1.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:OK so I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop (and I am somehow already rusty at SF4 because of it)...

I disagree with people who say it is in every way better than the original. I disagree with people who say the original is better.
Typical Candy, disagrees with everyone. :D

We love ya. xx
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Elf, I recruited all the crew and did all of their loyalty quests. They were all great fun and worth doing both for the skills they unlock in the crew, and the abilities you have to choose from as a result (if you decide to adopt an extra skill later on that is not part of your class).

Well worth doing, you get a ton more experience and as a result hit a higher level, max out more skills.

Zaeed shat me as well ... I grew quite attached to my crew by the end (with the exception of Zaeed even though I did his loyalty quest). Even had time for the chicks that told me to get the fuck out when I romanced the competition. I used Jack in nearly all quests (loved her shockwave ability). Great room clearer!!
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

I've been doing loyalty missions, but I failed Thanes ffs. I totally made a wrong turn and didn't have a save game at a convenient spot. I'll have to pick that one up when I try on insane diff i guess.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've recruited everyone and am now going through the loyalty quests.

Zaeed, Grunt, Miranda, Jacob, Tali, Samara and Mordis are complete. I've brought my Paragon Soldier in from the original, my next playthrough will be my Renegade Biotic from ME1 followed maybe by a fresh Engineer just to see how they are in this game, although a run on Insanity with an existing character sounds appealing as well.

A tad confused about some of the Zaeed hate getting around in this thread. Dude is a bad arse merc who has been everywhere and done everything. I quite like having him in my team! Plus he does some good damage with a powered up battle rifle and sniper rifle.

Super game!!!
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/106445.png[/IMG]
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

zaeed rules :) I'm playin a renegade char though, so he fits well.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

I just got sick of him tellling me how awesome he was ... and after I did what I thought the right thing in his loyalty mission, he cracked the shits. As a result I left him in the cargo hold for the rest of the game to sit and admire his rusty rifle and helmet.
mech

Post by mech »

Wish I had more time to play this game ffs.
Ambrose Burnside

I did all the loyalty quests. Even got Miranda to like me again after siding with Jack in their little argument. Plus I got all of the upgrades, which is probably why I hate planet scanning so much :(