Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I wonder if the third one will make this gen or if it's going to be a launch title for the next gen. I'm sure it's still going to be a triology.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Oh yeah it's def a trilogy. I was wondering the same thing last night though. Microsoft said a couple of weeks ago that they think the 360 is halfway through its cycle... if that's the case you'd think this gen.
Candy Arse wrote: XBONE 900p > PS4 1080p
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!
XBL ID: Burnzoire
Steam ID: Burnzoire

Post by Burnzoire »

Load times are long :| I LOL'd when i was told to take the elevator in the tutorial mission. Wasn't what I expected, thank christ:P

Combat seems better, and the environment is a lot more colourful. I think I'll need to put some serious time into it on the weekend before I judge it though, as I'm not getting sucked into it yet.

Strahovski's tits! :boobies:
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

I put 13 hours straight into this yesterday on day off, and i'm loving it so far, i've never played a game that long ever, and i wasnt even slightly wanting to do something else. the only gripes i have are the lack of exploration, the tedious scanning, and the level up system, which seems to now just be an extra feature, before you had alot more options, skills and stats, this time it seems like you have nothing. i like the new ship, but i hate the way they've changed the elevator load times, whilst they're shorter, which is a god send, i prefered it staying on your characters as the lift went up, it kept you in the game, where as now you get a stupid loading screen that takes you away from it all. Also from reading some of the in game codecs it states that ship to ship combat does happen in the ME universe, but id love them to incorporate it into the game, perhaps you dont control the ships directions during combat, you can just aim various canons, or lock on lasers or something, and then you'd have to go round and inspect the ships systems after it to make sure everythings okay, maybe having to put out fires whilst its happening too.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

I'm about to sink my teeth into it properly, without distractions.
Burnzoire
A mayn mayn MAN!

Post by Burnzoire »

Well I'm pretty hooked already. Combat is much less tedious. Instead of constantly facing a couple of enemies around every corner, I've been facing large groups that hole up in areas.

The combat is now VERY much like Gears of War, even down to the flamers that you can kill by rupturing tanks. I like that though, mixes it up a bit.

I also much much much prefer the new skill & squad system. You really control things more instantly now - aim and pick any skill available and whoever has it will use it. You can get some nice combos happening :D

I love the new ship too - the layout is much better, things are in logical positions now. Pity each deck still has to load but it's better than standing in an elevator though.

ME still remains one of the only games where you actually want to talk to NPCs more than the bare minimum required. The voice acting conversation set pieces are really done well, though it took a while for my mind to ignore the lip synching lag. It's also one of the only RPGs that actually let me play my character how I want without fear of missing out on cool shit because I didn't choose the goodie-two-shoes options. I don't want to spend more time on helping unimportant fools when there's a universe to save - I help only those who have something I want, and the game completely understands that with perfect dialog options :)

Oh and I like the new achievement tracking, the new upgrade system, and the hassle-free ammo system. It all streamlines the game so you spend less time micromanaging and more time on the mission at hand.

So far so good!
Last edited by Burnzoire on 30 Jan 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Another 4 hour session tonight, this game has me totally hooked....
2nd place is the first loser....

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Rocked about 90 minutes kick off myself tonight.

Not prepared to start gushing about it or anything yet (tbh I'm not liking it as much as ME1 so far which imo had a better opening sequence and missions), but yeah, it's pretty good.
Dj Flextacy
Mr 60FPS
XBL ID: flextacy
PSN ID: flextacy

Post by Dj Flextacy »

Put another 7 hours into this tonight for a total of 20 hours in 2 days which is insane for me!, and i still wanna keep playing! .. seems also that im nowhere near finishing it <i hope>, does anyone know how many hours this game is?, i started onto disc 2 at around the 13 hour mark, but that isn't always relevent, as still lots of side quests to go through. it'd be good if you could customise the other team members a bit more other than a single colour select, and the scanning of planets is still tedious even with the upgrade, and some how i was looking forward to that bit from the screen shots, as i enjoy reading about the planets and their history.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Apparently the bulk of the game is on disc 2, but it switches back to disc 1 towards the end.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I'm interested in what mech thinks of the title screen more than anything.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Er, why?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just started playing it, about 3 hours in. The shooting gameplay is very much improved (one of the things I hated most about the first game) but IMO they didn't go far enough in copying GOW. They should have included the option to change cover and jump from cover. Overall I'm very happy with the game so far, graphically very impressive in that it is detailed but not nearly a buggy as the first game.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

mech wrote:Er, why?
I just have this memory that stands out about you complaining that the main screen even had framerate problems. I don't know why.
mech

Post by mech »

Madmya wrote:
mech wrote:Er, why?
I just have this memory that stands out about you complaining that the main screen even had framerate problems. I don't know why.
Lol! Good memory.

Pilon could not admit that ME was a flawed gem at all, there's a few interesting arguments between us...
mech wrote:
pilonv1 wrote:
mech wrote:Mass Effect if you like long droning conversations and plenty of glitches.
Name 5 glitches then (frame rate isn't a glitch). I never had one. If you'd said shitty inventory, no use for cash, Mako controls horrible then I'd agree.
You haven't seen any glitches? I've been caught on objects, randomly had objectives shut off from me (despite the conversations with people indicating otherwise), I've had my gun keep firing despite being out of combat and not stopping till I reloaded the game (it even kept firing in cut-scenes). I've had people I'm meant to talk to just disappear entirely so I can't finish off an objective for no discernable reason. And I will mention framerate as a glitch, because it hitches constantly for no apparent reason, including even on the menu at the start of the game! wtf?

There you go, 5. Hope you're happy now, you whiney old woman. How dare you not like something about the game that is clearly GOTY because Twiztid said so?
pilonv1 wrote:
mech wrote:it's reading the DVD ALL the time
Right
and the load times are woeful.
Wrong.
ME doesn't have long load times? LOL!!!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I never saw any of those glitches at all. I do agree with the load times though, but only the ones requiring a lift. Rest I thought was fine, but then I come from a generation of 5-7min long tape loading games. ;)
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Just getting back on topic, I'm only a few hours in on ME2, but I think the thing that has impressed me the most so far, more than the excellent graphics, story and voice acting, is the pacing. The game moves so fast.

In a couple hours of playtime,
[Click to see hidden content]
The Normandy crashes,
Shepard saves Joker,
Shepard nearly dies,
Shepard gets revived/rebuilt by corporation for it's own purposes,
All the stuff with Cancer man,
New Normandy,
Progress the story along about the Collectors and the Reavers,
Start rebuilding a team,
Rescued Jak from the mercenary prison,
Helped the Professor

FFS, this is the fastest moving/paced RPG in the history of videogames. It's hard to believe this game is from the same devs as Dragon Age Origins.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

Not really an RPG anymore. Enjoyed it immensely, found that the story was a lot more engrossing, graphics were vastly improved, combat mechanics were tightened up and they removed the fiddly rubbish micromanagement bullshit. Took me about 28 hours to finish, that is including a fair few side missions and completing all the crew loyalty missions as well.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

In response to Elf:

What do you mean Shepard nearly died? He was deader than dead.

I really loved recruiting the convict.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I was drunk during that part alright. :D

Yup, that recruiting mission was awesome.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Just getting back on topic, I'm only a few hours in on ME2, but I think the thing that has impressed me the most so far, more than the excellent graphics, story and voice acting, is the pacing. The game moves so fast.

In a couple hours of playtime,
The Normandy crashes,
Shepard saves Joker,
Shepard nearly dies,
Shepard gets revived/rebuilt by corporation for it's own purposes,
All the stuff with Cancer man,
New Normandy,
Progress the story along about the Collectors and the Reavers,
Start rebuilding a team,
Rescued Jak from the mercenary prison,
Helped the Professor

FFS, this is the fastest moving/paced RPG in the history of videogames. It's hard to believe this game is from the same devs as Dragon Age Origins.

Exactly the reason I have been dragged into this game the PACING, 10 hrs so far and every time I play it I have to force myself to stop..... I have even become addicted to scanning the planets just in the hope I can find some element zero.....

When I played and hated ME1 people were telling me to keep playing as it doesn't get good for 2-3 hrs, but when the first hour was a chore I wasn't gonna put myself through more of it in the hope I would find something good.

This game has just grabbed me and I don't think it will let me go until I have finished it. I am tipping once I have completed it it will be the clubhouse leader for my GOTY, I know its early but that is how much I am enjoying it so far.
2nd place is the first loser....

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I liked how in ME you had to look for adventure...
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Just made it to the second disk and like Kanga said, it's the kind of game which difficult to put down (a lot like Fallout 3). It still has its problems, namely weapon/ammo management (switching weapons is a pain in the arse) and mission structure (essentially the same gameplay no matter what you do) but overall very compelling. Looking forward to completing it.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

So far I'm hankering for some Mako action. Fuck this scan planets from orbit shit :down:

I know a lot of people hated the Mako but I loved touching down on a new planet and zooming around. I was hoping for improvement in that area, not for it to be removed completely :down:

And call me crazy but I prefer the old item management system too. In this one I'm spending money on shit and not really knowing how it affects me. At least in the original Mass Effect you'll have two guns with different model numbers and you'll always know the higher numbered model is better, and you could simply delete the old gun in exchange for money.

I've only just started recruiting my team (got the doctor and mercenary on Omega, found the original Normandy crash site, been to the Citadel) so I'm not too far into the game, so hopefully it opens up more and gives me that Mass Effect feeling of exploration soon.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Nath

Post by Nath »

I'm into the second disk and loving the game, but I cant help but feel I want a bit more depth from the storyline...

I have this feeling its all going to end very suddenly once I have finished recruiting squad members and there wont be much more to do. In the first one, I was a lot more immersed in the story and it seemed like you were discovering and learning things as you progress...this seems a bit too much like an extended search and rescue mission.

The first few hours were brilliant and very much drew you into the storyline, but once you get your ship the pacing slowed right down.

Sure, you learn about the individual characters as you recuit them, but the overall story seems to have taken a back seat this time around.

Having said that, I am still very much enjoying the game and have put in about 18 hours so far...I'm just hoping the story gets a bit more interesting soon.